Become a Patron!

S8 Pod Starter Kit - Smoant

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the S8 pod starter kit device from Smoant. The S8 pod starter kit device was sent for the purpose of this review by Kristy from Smoant.

http://smoant.com/s8-refiilable-pod-star...index.html

In the Box

Contents:

1 Smoant S8 Pod Battery
1 S8 Pod Cartridge
1 Needle E-Juice Bottle
1 MicroUSB Charging Cable
Instructional Manual

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

It seems all manufacturers are releasing pod systems at the moment even manufacturers that haven't gone in that direction in the past, here we have Smoants first pod outing the S8. The S8 pod starter kit comes in boxed packaging and once revealing the first thing i noticed was how shiny it is and very much a fingerprint magnet. I recieved the Black version which is the only colour advertised to date but wouldn't be surprised if more colours will follow. Picking up the device revealed it has quite a bit of wieght to it and both looks and feels like the battery casing is made of glass, it probably isn't glass but if not the glass like finish has been mimicked perfectly. The shape of the device is almost like a very flat egg. The front of the device has the Smoant logo positioned centrally and although some people like to see branding kept down to the minimum on devices in my opinion the logo looks very aesthetically pleasing on the device. Towards the bottom of the back of the device there is a bit more branding and safety stamps. The micro USB port is positioned on the right side of the device towards the bottom and although the device has 2 battery/operation lights top right side and top left side the light shines through the device and can't be seen when not lit. The mouthpiece which of course is part of the pod is very slim and follows the overall aesthetics and shape of the device. The device being operated by sucking can be held however it suits as there is no fire button, the mouthpiece is very comfortable.

S8 Specs:

Dimensions: 86.6mm by 48mm by 12.8mm
2mL Maximum Juice Capacity
Integrated 370mAh Rechargeable Battery
Output Voltage Range: 3.3-3.4V
Draw-Activated Firing Mechanism
Refillable Cartridge - Plug Seal
Replaceable Cartridge Design - Two-Piece
1.3ohm Resistance Coil
LED Battery Light Indicator
MicroUSB Charging Port - 0.5A Charge Rate
Short Circuit Protection
CPU Protection
Charging Protection
Low Battery Protection
Overuse Protection
Overheat Protection
Note: Install and Prime Coil Before Use
Colour: Black

The Pod

The Pod can be pulled straight out of the device and is fastened in place by magnets. At the bottom to one side is a little bung which you pull out to reveal a little filling hole, Smoant have included a needled nose bottle for applying your liquid which is a great little touch. Some people won't recommend carrying liquid in a needled nose bottle around with you has the needle can in time puncture the silicone cap and leak, i have always carried liquid this way and simply have the bottle wrapped with a little bit of bubble wrap and never had an issue. There is a membrane fitted in the pod at the bottom to at least reduce condensation and when you look into the device with the pod unattached you can see the magnets, contacts and to each side the 2 LED's that flash when removing the pod. Because you can't prime the coil i would recommend leaving the filled pod for 15 mins before using, it probably doesn't need 15 mins but better to leave it longer than needed rather than risk vaping when the wicking material is not properly saturated. Once the flavour has reduced you will need to replace the pod as the coils are not replaceable, i would of liked at least 2 pods included not just because you can't replace the coils but also as this means people can have a spare full pod with them rather than filling on the go. Another thing to point out is the PCB is waterproof so happy vaping in the rain.

Using the S8

The S8 is a pod system that activates when you suck on it and has no fire or operation buttons, just vape. The device does have battery status indication but isn't great as it flashes blue if above 30% and red if below 30% so you would have no clue for example if you had 95% or only 32%. In my opinion there should be a minimum of 3 indications and i prefer to see 4 or 5 so you have a very good idea of battery life. I suppose changing red as high as 30% does give a reasonable alert that you need to be looking to charge the device at the earliest opportunity. When the device is put on charge the battery flashes during charging, when the lights stays lit the device is fully charged.

Performance

The device gives a very restricted draw so will please tight MTL vapers, but i wish airflow was done better on pod systems so there would be adjustability. The device steps down and gives a continuous consistant vape at between 3.3v-3.4v, with the 1.3ohm coil between 8w-9w so the device is also ideal for high nicotine and nic salts. The flavour is very good and ok cloud, i have noticed the flavour with pod systems has improved in recent times. The 370mAh will give average battery life for this sort of device as the step down will make the battery last longer than expected. The device supports pass-through so you can vape while charging

Conclusion

Despite not suiting my vaping style i can look at the bigger picture and see this is going to suit a large number of vapers that in my opinion don't get there fair share of products aimed for them the tight MTL vaper. I also do like the fact the S8 gives a consistent vape throughout the battery life.

Elegant design
Expensive feel
Consistent vape
Good flavour
Caters for vapers who like tight draw
Stealth device
Waterproof
Needle nose bottle included
Suitable high nic & nic salts
Pass-through

Dislikes

Only one pod included
Coil not replaceable
Would like better battery life indication
Non adjustable airflow

I would once again like to thank Kristy from Smoant for supplying the S8 pod starter kit for the purpose of this review.

http://smoant.com/s8-refiilable-pod-star...index.html

VU Sponsors