Become a Patron!

Sam Raimi Won't Direct a Tom Holland Spider-Man Movie Because Tobey Maguire Would 'Break My Neck'

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Sam Raimi has admitted that he wouldn't consider directing a Tom Holland Spider-Man movie without Tobey Maguire involved because he would "break" his neck for it.

Raimi directed the original Spider-Man trilogy starring Tobey Maguire and recently returned to the Marvel fold by making his MCU debut with Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, while Tobey Maguire appeared alongside fellow web-slingers Tom Holland and Andrew Garfield in Spider-Man: No Way Home, which Raimi previously called "so much fun."

In a new interview with the Los Angeles Times, Raimi admitted that, while Spider-Man: No Way Home was "a complete audience thrill ride" and it was "great" to see his old friends on screen again, he is not interested in helming a Tom Holland-led Spider-Man movie unless Maguire signed up for it, as Raimi joked that he might have some strong feelings about it.

"I love Spider-Man," Raimi said. "And I love Tom Holland in the role. [But] if I made a Spider-Man movie, it would probably have to be with Tobey or he'd break my neck."

The feelings about them working together again are obviously mutual, as Raimi previously stressed his desire to work with Maguire once more on a project, whether that be Spider-Man or something else. He admitted that teaming up on a Spider-Man movie would be "beautiful," but that there are no immediate plans for the pair to reunite.

"I don't really have a story or a plan," Raimi told Fandango ahead of the release of his first MCU film. "I don't know if Marvel would be interested in that right now. I don't know what their thoughts are about that. I haven't really pursued that. But it sounds beautiful. Even if it wasn't a Spider-Man movie, I'd love to work with Tobey again, in a different role."

Like all MCU movies, Spider-Man: No Way Home left us with plenty of burning questions about where the Spider-Man franchise could go next – that is if Tom Holland returns for Spider-Man 4. While Spider-Man producer Amy Pascal has suggested Holland would return for another three films, Holland has said he doesn’t want to play Spidey beyond age 30.

The future of the Spider-Man franchise may be uncertain right now, but there are plenty of Marvel releases to look forward to in the meantime. Ms. Marvel is set to premiere on Disney+ on June 8, one month prior to the release of Thor: Love and Thunder in theaters. The next MCU movie after that will be Black Panther: Wakanda Forever in November.

Adele Ankers-Range is a freelance writer for IGN. Follow her on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors