Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra Hands-On Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Just when I thought no one could possibly release a bigger tablet than the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, Samsung has introduced the 14.6-inch Samsung Galaxy Tab Ultra.

The Galaxy Tab Ultra is hands down the biggest Android tablet I’ve held in my hands. The screen features a 16:10 aspect ratio, so the device feels big and wide in your hands. Measuring in at over a foot wide – 12.85 x 8.21 x 0.22 inches to be exact – it’s almost as if someone glued two iPad Minis together.

Beyond its size, the 2,960 x 1,848 resolution Super AMOLED display is marvelous with inky blacks and vibrant color, plus bezels that just measure 6.3mm. Unfortunately, Samsung opted to interrupt the top of the display with a notch to fit a 12MP ultrawide camera. The good news is most media is made for a wider 16:9 or 21:9 aspect ratio, so the notch won’t cut in anything you’re watching in full screen.

The screen works well enough for multitasking. You can have up to three apps open at a time, with one taking up half of the display and two more splitting the remaining share. You could even add a fourth app if you watch YouTube videos in a popup window.

I would have much rather had a squarer aspect ratio (like 3:2), with more vertical space that would be better for multitasking and reading. However, it’s clear this device is more focused on watching full-screen media. It’s fitting this entertainment-focused tablet also features quad, Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers that really give it a booming, dynamic soundscape.

On the back of the tablet, you’ll find a rear camera and an S-Pen. The digital stylus is attached via a magnetic strip that keeps it in place and wirelessly charges it at the same time. As for writing, the S-Pen feels very responsive and natural as writing on an actual piece of paper, thanks to Samsung’s latest latency-squashing predictive algorithms.

Though not included, the keyboard cover feels just as nice to use with springy, backlit keys. The keyboard cover also conveniently splits into two parts with a magnetic keyboard that sticks to the screen and a kickstand-equipped back panel that clips onto the bottom of the device.

The whole device is powered by an unnamed 4nm Octa-Core processor that offers plenty of zippy performance. That said, I was only able to use the basic included apps from Google and Samsung during my hands-on time – we'll have to wait for the full review to get to any actual game testing.

As for memory and storage, the tablet starts with 8GB with 128GB, respectively. From there you can bump the memory up to 12GB or 16GB while doubling or quadrupling the storage to 256GB or 512GB.

Samsung has also fitted the Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra with a massive 8,000mAh that should last users through the day. This device is also designed to super-fast charging at up to 45W, allowing you to fully recharge Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra after just 90 minutes. You can also fast charge other devices as an extra hat trick by plugging them into the tablet.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra seems like an incredibly impressive device, but with a steep starting price of $1,099, it’s equally as expensive. There doesn’t seem to be anything lacking but I’m not in love with how wide and slightly unwieldy the device feels. Hopefully, its form factor is something I can get used to with a bit more time, but stay tuned for our full review until then.

And be sure to check out everything Samsung announced during its Galaxy Unpacked Spring Event.

Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to [email protected].

Kevin Lee is IGN's SEO Updates Editor. Follow him on Twitter
@baggingspam.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors