Become a Patron!

Serial numbers on replicas

Garemlin

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Anyone ever wonder if the serial numbers on replica (aka clones) mods are accurate. I mean as mass produced as they are do you really think they take the time to change the die on every single switch made. My thinking is they do a run of xxx amount of each number before changing. I'd like to see if anyone actually got the same or has seen the same number of a mod that they own.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Probably the same deal when they make fake Rolex's. Come up with a really great copy with a very limited number of serial numbers which in the end identifies them as copies.

Sickboy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a brass Chi-you clone I bought from slowtech... has the serial number 0004 on it. I liked that, understanding that 4 means death in Chinese numerology. I'd love to know if there are other 4's out there or not.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I have a brass Chi-you clone I bought from slowtech... has the serial number 0004 on it. I liked that, understanding that 4 means death in Chinese numerology. I'd love to know if there are other 4's out there or not.

I wonder if anyone got the one with serial number 0008 on it. I think that is the luckiest of all the numbers in Chinese numerology.

And of course, who will get serial number 0666?

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I wonder if anyone got the one with serial number 0008 on it. I think that is the luckiest of all the numbers in Chinese numerology.

And of course, who will get serial number 0666?

twisted got an akuma with serial number 666 lol which is crazy because akuma means devil

GrayMatter

Member For 4 Years
It appears to depend on the manufacturer. I've read reports of batches coming all with the same serial, but then there's ones like the FT Panzer Black Hawk where there's a good mix of random serials. Black Hawk Serial # Check-in

I'd be curious to see threads of what people have for their clone serial #'s.

I believe that Hcigar serials are unique. I have 3 of their Hammers. The first two came from the same vendor, only a few weeks apart. I got #009 and #064. I bought the third one from somewhere else a lot later on, and got #3868. The switch had also been redesigned- on my first two, the switch was very short-throw and used the wimpiest spring that I've ever seen. There was an incident where I set one down in such a way that the button was just barely touching a camera, and the spring was so weak that it happily cooked off a quarter tank of juice before I noticed the smell of charring wick.. Then they got converted to magnets, and are much better for it. The third came with a slightly longer switch throw and a greatly improved spring. It also ended up getting magnets, although it didn't really need them.

These markings are all cut by a laser that's under computer control, so it's not like a human needs to mess with dies or anything in order to create unique serial numbers. They just have to program the computer to increment the number on each pass of the laser.

Sahsah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've never really understood the point of the serial numbers on all of our mods and attys altogether. Is it just so you can check with the manufacturer to verify if it's authentic?

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't even see the point of serial's on clones anyways.. but hey thats just me.

iheartmyed9

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Strips numbers seem point less

(spam "will you fix my car for free" link removed)

Last edited by a moderator:

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I've never really understood the point of the serial numbers on all of our mods and attys altogether. Is it just so you can check with the manufacturer to verify if it's authentic?
All of my authentic wood boxes are serial number 005 or less....two of them are 001. It matters only if the numbers are SUPER low for collector purposes.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
All of my authentic wood boxes are serial number 005 or less....two of them are 001. It matters only if the numbers are SUPER low for collector purposes.
For example.....David Gilmour of Pink Floyed owns Fender Stratocaster #00001. Sure, it is no different than any other pre-CBS Strat....but it is the first....and David's lol
EDIT: The NECK is the first.......nobody knows about the body.

Last edited:

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Exactly - for authentic/specialty-type mods I think it makes sense.. for clones - not so much

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
It's nice to have a serial on an authentic. Might be stupid, but shelling out that kinda dough for a tube, I want something unique about it. On clones, I agree it's kinda stupid. I also have wondered how unique clones serial numbers actually are, as mentioned previously.

Meh, I'm weird and like the number 3, 13 as well, so I admit I like getting a serial with one or more in it. Always a little bonus for me.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Seems like some cloners make changes to every batch they make of a device. Serial numbers would help keep track of what works, what doesn't, matching feedback to a certain batch, etc. I could see serial numbers on clones being useful. If they aren't using the same number the whole time anyway. That's kinda pointless.

Reactions: Pav

Pav

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On my clone it seems to be lazer engraved. And all clones of the same make/model I have handled have diffrent s/n. Im tempted to add my own "s/n" at the engraving shop.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Clones probably have serials just to make them look more authentic.
Possibly even for the actual purpose of trying to make people think they are authentic when buying them.

VU Sponsors