Become a Patron!

Series-parallel Unregulated Box Mod

So new(ish) vaper here, first time posting on the forums. What I'm wanting to do is build a box mod capable of handling any coil (within reason) that I throw at it so what I'm thinking is quad 26650 set up in series-parallel (2 groups of series batteries wired up in parallel) to double voltage output but also double the mAh(?) that it has.

Aside from price is this a feasible setup? I understand ohms law (i=v/r, p=i*e, etc) so as long as I don't overdo the amperage (probably 80A max?) I should be fine, correct? Been a few years since I've used the formulae so I just wanted to check with people that have already built before.

Thanks!

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gonna move this to the builders area, Lots of helpful info in that section, Welcome to VU and good luck:)

I'm thinking 2 separate sleds back to back so it's not as long as it would be, set up in a cylinder that slides off toward the bottom or something like that

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Diescum88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah I see, might work. Can't say I've tried making anything like that yet but it sounds awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Just a random thought I had today while thinking about building my first mech mod. Give a couple days charge probably haha.

I asked here because everywhere else I went on Google only had mods that would switch between serial or parallel (and everyone on this site seems really helpful)

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
4X26650 seems over the top to me, how about you start with 4X18650.
With 20A batteries you'll be able to reach 250W+ safely and still have decent capacity (and 350W+ with 30A).
Hope you know what you're doing in regards to building it properly and safely.

Maybe I will. Regardless of what size I use I want to get a volt/ammeter or wattage display, a manual cutoff switch for when it's not in use, and some sort of auto reset thermal fuse to go on each battery if they sell something like that, just for that extra bit of safety.

As for wiring, just connect each pair of batteries in series, then wire each group up as 2 batteries in a parallel configuration.

Haven't drawn up any plans yet, maybe I'll download ltspice and throw together some schematics so I can see different layouts/coil wattages in action

VU Sponsors