Seth Green Can No Longer Make His NFT Show After His BoredApe Was Stolen

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Seth Green’s new animated series is apparently in jeopardy after several of his NFTs were stolen.

The upcoming project, White Horse Tavern, based on a BoredApe NFT named Fred Simian, has been in the works for some time, but – per a report from BuzzFeed – it has since been halted as Green technically no longer owns the rights to the character after a phishing scam.

“I bought that ape in July 2021, and have spent the last several months developing and exploiting the IP to make it into the star of this show,” said Green during the Web3 conference, VeeCon. “Then days before — his name is Fred by the way — days before he’s set to make his world debut, he’s literally kidnapped.”

Well frens it happened to me. Got phished and had 4NFT stolen. @BoredApeYC @opensea @doodles @yugalabs please don’t buy or trade these while I work to resolve:@DarkWing84 looks like you bought my stolen ape- hit me up so we can fix it pic.twitter.com/VL1OVnd44m

— Seth Green (@SethGreen) May 17, 2022

Green’s NFT collection was compromised earlier this month after the actor fell foul of a scam. On May 8, an anonymous scammer managed to nab four of Green’s NFTs, using a phishing scam to trick the actor into parting with his collection. The assets lost include his BoredApe, two MutantApes, and a Doodle.

One of the MutantApes was almost instantly traded for around $42,000 while his BoredApe was purchased by a user named DarkWing84 for a staggering $200,000. Green’s animated NFT show is based on a simple concept: “What if your friendly neighborhood bartender was Bored Ape Yacht Club #8398?” It looks as though the answer to that extremely specific question will have to wait.

After losing the NFT, the likeness and usage rights to #8398, or Fred Simian, belong to someone else. That means that Green’s show, at the moment, would violate the copyright of the current holder. Whether or not Green will see the return of his BoredApe remains to be seen, but the actor has already begun publicly pleading with DarkWing84 for the return of his NFT.

“DarkWing84 looks like you bought my stolen ape,” he said via Twitter. “hit me up so we can fix it”

Green has also since commented on the legality of the current owner’s purchase, and what this means for his upcoming show.

“The art was stolen,” he said via Twitter. “A buyer who purchased stolen art with real money and refuses to return it is not legally entitled to exploitation usage of the underlying IP. It’ll go to court, but I’d prefer to meet @DarkWing84 before that. Seems we’d have lots in common.”

Elsewhere, GameStop has officially entered crypto and NFT after creating its own wallet. Meanwhile, several developers have signed an anti-NFT pledge due to the environmental impact of the tech.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors