Shang-Chi Director Has Already Started Early Work on a Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings director Destin Daniel Cretton says early work has already started on the sequel.

It was revealed this week that Cretton would work on a Shang-Chi sequel as well as a Disney+ MCU show and, speaking to IGN, the director revealed that early work has already begun on the former:

"We're in very early stages of brainstorming and figuring out what direction we want to go. But yeah, we'll be kind of simultaneously working on a lot of these things from now until we start shooting."

Cretton's Disney+ series is more of a mystery at this point. IGN asked if the series would be connected to Shang-Chi, and if it might follow other characters from the first movie.

"I still can't say anything," Cretton replied. "Yeah, everything, to be completely honest, is a question mark at this point. I don't really know how or when we would be able to explore some of these hanging questions that we left at the end of Shang-Chi. But I can say that these are all, at least in this moment right now, these are all things that I would love to explore in the future."

We also asked if Shang-Chi's trip to the mythical realm of Ta Lo – and the establishment of an MCU multiverse – means that future projects could travel off-Earth a little more.

"There are some obvious doors that were opened by the end of Shang-Chi that may allow us to go into those worlds and explore them more," Cretton explained. "And that would be a really cool one to explore because Ta Lo is way more vast than what we saw in Shang-Chi. So that's potentially one area that we may go, but I'm not sure."

Clearly Marvel Studios believes in Cretton as an ongoing part of the MCU. Trusted directors such as the Russo brothers have previously moved from solo superhero movies onto ensemble stories like the Avengers movies. We asked Cretton if that was something he'd like to emulate.

"That's definitely not a hope of mine," he said, frankly. "I don't really aspire for one or the other. Once we land on the story that we want to tell, it'll define how many characters will enter that story. But I'm mainly excited to explore the characters more and their emotional journeys, and watch them grow and try to achieve things and fail, and see how they get themselves up out of the mud. So that's what I'm most excited. And I'm not sure how many characters we'll be introducing in the next one."

Shang-Chi marked a major success for the MCU this year, and we awarded it an 8/10 review, saying it's "a confident introduction to Marvel’s first Asian superhero, delivering the MCU’s best fight choreography and one of its most emotionally complex villains." We've named it one of IGN's nominees for the best movies of 2021.

Joe Skrebels is IGN's Executive Editor of News. Follow him on Twitter. Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to [email protected].

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors