Shazam 2 Will Feature 'More Adult Humor' And 'More Adult Stakes'

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Shazam! Fury of the Gods will be a bit more grown-up, with “more adult humor” and “more adult stakes.”

During an interview with IGN, Shazam! producer Peter Safran teased a more grown-up kind of comedy in the upcoming superhero sequel.

“I love what we've done with it,” he said. “I like that the kids are a little bit older so that you can lean into a little more adult humor and also just adult stakes and adult issues that one deals with it at 16 and 17 that you don't deal with at 13 and 14.”

The first footage from Shazam! Fury of the Gods certainly looks a lot more spectacular than the first movie, with Zachary Levi stepping back into the role of the over-the-top superhero, Shazam!

“I love the first movie,” said Safran. “I really loved it. And I thought that Sandberg hit that tone just right. It was such a... the eye of needle was so small to thread. I think the second movie's even better.”

Shazam! Fury of the Gods adds Helen Mirren as the new villain, Hespera, as well as Lucy Liu in the role of Kalypso. Arriving shortly after the upcoming Black Adam movie, it’s unsurprising to see the Shazam! focus on the characters growing older.

“We very much lean into the idea that Asher's 17 going on 18,” he added. “And I think this script for Shazam! 2 was absolutely fantastic. Henry Gayden and Chris Morgan did an extraordinary job. I am really convinced that this movie is even better.”

Although Shazam! was one of DC’s lowest-grossing movies, it was a huge critical success with audiences bowled over by its light-hearted humor. Now, it looks as though Warner Bros. is aiming to build on this.

“So, I think it's got everything that the first movie had, but frankly, bigger action, great antagonists and Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu,” said Safran. “I cannot wait. For anybody that liked the first movie, I think they are just going to go bananas for the sequel. I really do. I love everything about it.”

Zachary Levi returns in Shazam! Fury of the Gods alongside Asher Angel, and Jack Dylan Grazer. They’ll be joined by new additions, Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu.

Shazam! Fury of the Gods debuts in theaters on June 2, 2023.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors