Become a Patron!

Single Coil on Mech Mod

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hello, this contains a lot of info with unexpected font settings. 😊

I'd like to et feedback on what coil build(s) you recommend for a single coil RDA on 21700 mech mod. I do know Ohm's Law and I understand battery safety. That said, I generally prefer vaping low resistance coils

I vaguely recall how single coil builds and the higher resistance that comes with that build, coupled with the mech mod’s inability to adjust wattage sometimes had unpleasant results (in my experience..). I could just dive in head first - build, install & vape 'em; however, I figured there is no harm in soliciting suggestions from the collective wisdom of the VU community.

For various reasons, I've considered (and vaped) plain old, regular round wire 24g or 25g,@ 7wraps +/- as I recall that was a satisfactory vape but I don't remember why I disliked fancier single coil mech, for example a low resistance dual or triple core fused clapton 26g\36g.

Oh NOW I remember the "specific issue" that I wanted to ask about: whether a single coil RDA would be suitable on a higher voltage device, i.e. when using a series mechanical device. It doesn’t seem like magnified voltage is compatible with single coil builds. idk why I can’t explain more. Must sleep 💤 😴 💤 soon

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hello Serena,

So there are too many variables to list them all here. However, hopefully the following will help you.

The material your coils are made from will have a serious impact on your resistance, and therefore your vape wattage on a mech mod. It is not impossible to run a single fused clapton on a series mech, but you need a ton of airflow to make it work. Another possibility is to run a monster single coil.

1635073150870.jpeg

A series mech mod has a max voltage (with standard 18650 batteries) of 8.4 Volts. With battery sag, you will probably never hit more than 8.0 volts. So as you can see above, at 0.50 ohms on a series mech mod you are going to hit approx 128 Watts. With a ton of airflow this can work well.

1635073355433.jpeg

Above is an example of a Ni80 Fused clapton with 26ga cores and 38ga wrap. 4mm Inside Diameter and 7 wraps. This would get you to that 0.50 ohm range and around 128 watts on a series mech.

1635074330757.jpeg

1635074362362.jpeg

Above is an example of a Ni80 Fused clapton with 26ga cores and 38ga wrap. 4.5mm Inside Diameter and 8 wraps. This would get you to 0.63 ohm range at around 100 watts on a series mech.

On the other hand, on a non-series mech mod you can run a lower ohm and get what I would consider a much nicer vape with less need for lots of airflow.

For example,

1635073558160.jpeg

1635073583692.jpeg

As you can see above, using 316L Stainless Steel, a fused clapton with 26ga cores and 38ga wrap with a 3mm ID at 6 wraps gives me around 0.25 ohms. This would be around 68 watts and a much nicer vape for me. However, everyone has a different vaping style.

Hope this helps you a little.

Happy Vaping!

CV :)

Last edited:

Serena25330

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello Serena,

So there are too many variables to list them all here. However, hopefully the following will help you.

The material your coils are made from will have a serious impact on your resistance, and therefore your vape wattage on a mech mod. It is not impossible to run a single fused clapton on a series mech, but you need a ton of airflow to make it work. Another possibility is to run a monster single coil.

View attachment 187225

A series mech mod has a max voltage (with standard 18650 batteries) of 8.4 Volts. With battery sag, you will probably never hit more than 8.0 volts. So as you can see above, at 0.50 ohms on a series mech mod you are going to hit approx 128 Watts. With a ton of airflow this can work well.

View attachment 187226

Above is an example of a Ni80 Fused clapton with 26ga cores and 38ga wrap. 4mm Inside Diameter and 7 wraps. This would get you to that 0.50 ohm range and around 128 watts on a series mech.

View attachment 187229

View attachment 187230

Above is an example of a Ni80 Fused clapton with 26ga cores and 38ga wrap. 4.5mm Inside Diameter and 8 wraps. This would get you to 0.63 ohm range at around 100 watts on a series mech.

On the other hand, on a non-series mech mod you can run a lower ohm and get what I would consider a much nicer vape with less need for lots of airflow.

For example,

View attachment 187227

View attachment 187228

As you can see above, using 316L Stainless Steel, a fused clapton with 26ga cores and 38ga wrap with a 3mm ID at 6 wraps gives me around 0.25 ohms. This would be around 68 watts and a much nicer vape for me. However, everyone has a different vaping style.

Hope this helps you a little.

Happy Vaping!

CV :)
That helps a great deal. Understanding Ohm's Law isn't the same as being able to implement it in practice without actually writing everything out and for me, thats always a struggle. Equations, both in algebra and geometry, almost deprived me of a high school diploma and so much more that opened up for me after high school. Anyway I do have one more question along this same line,,so I'll have to give it a think and get back to post it once I can articulate it
Thanks, S

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With a series mech, a 5ply .3/29/38 fralien at 7 wraps 3.5mm ID works well for me in the Deathwish Modz 24mm Deathtrap RDA. The main "trick" is to adjust airflow in such a way that there's just the right amount of restrictiveness going on to be able to use the strength of your draw in order to make the air pick up enough speed. (Putting the airflow wide open isn't going to work, albeit if you close it off too far it won't work either.) But another classical mistake (aside from not lining the coil up properly with the airflow of course) is to position the coil such that the distance between it and the air hole is too long. You want the airflow to smash right into the coil, and you also want it to smash fairly hard. 26g fused claptons typically don't work with these high levels of power, as the wire is simply too thick for it to be able to dispense the heat energy at a rate that matches the rate at which the heat is generated so, the temperature just keeps on rising until typically, the wire overheats and causes a burned taste excepting only maybe if you end your drag each time before this happens, and, aliens/fraliens can suck juice out of the wet cotton noticeably faster compared to fused claptons so the latter coil type has more of a tendency to give semi-dry hits if you don't reduce the power by a notch or two (or three or four or five). A possible downside is that if you drip a little too much juice, with these types of high-powered builds you can suck a splash of juice out of the RDA into your mouth so counting the number of drops that I put in there with every drag is like second nature to me. :giggle:

new fralien2.jpg

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've been using N90 wire for my single coils on mech mods. I usually use them on mech squonks or mech-like squonk mods. I almost always use (N80) dual coils on mech tubes.

I like N90 because it's a way to lower resistance without increasing mass (vs N80). My N90 coils fire up pretty quick and give great flavor.

VU Sponsors