Become a Patron!

SMOK RPM 2 Coil issues

Hi,

So I've had a smok rpm2 for roughly 2-3 months now and it's been just fine up until now. The coils lasted me about a week which is reasonable for how I vape, however, recently the coils have been lasting a day and a half before just completely burning out. I thought it was a dud box of coils however when I ordered a new box the same thing has been happening. I haven't changed the way I vape and I always prime the coils properly, I've even been running the vape on 20w power rather than my usual 30w but it hasn't made any difference.

The only thing I can see that is abnormal is that the resistance is reading 0.21 on the vape but the coil is rated 0.16. I think this might just be normal after doing some research but I thought it was worth noting.

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice for things for me to try before I just up and buy a new vape?

Thanks

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The coils lasted me about a week which is reasonable for how I vape, however, recently the coils have been lasting a day and a half before just completely burning out.
I haven't changed the way I vape and I always prime the coils properly, ...

Would have asked if you changed up your juice. If so are you using higher VG in the "new" juice? Won't ask that as you say you didn't alter how you vape.

Not sure what to suggest aside from trying something new. Possibly @MrMeowgi , @f1r3b1rd might have a bit more experience with pod systems to offer further advice. As of yet I don't use the newer pod devices. Can not recall some I've seen discussed as better ones.

Reactions: Tso

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Hi and Welcome to the forum
:wave:

Maybe try breaking in the coil slowly- let the new coil sit in the juice in the pod for at least 15 minutes before firing.
Start out with really low watts like 5w at a time to slowly break in the coils.
Make sure that you dry and wipe out any condensation under the pod may help.

Would have asked if you changed up your juice. If so are you using higher VG in the "new" juice? Won't ask that as you say you didn't alter how you vape.

Not sure what to suggest aside from trying something new. Possibly @MrMeowgi , @f1r3b1rd might have a bit more experience with pod systems to offer further advice. As of yet I don't use the newer pod devices. Can not recall some I've seen discussed as better ones.
yeah, i did change up my juice however thinking this might be the problem I put some of my old juice back in and I'm still having the same problem :/

I'm starting to think that something in the internals might be broken causing it to run at something different than it's saying on the screen. Could also be that I've been screwed over twice by smok qc with the coil but yeah I'm considering getting something new.

thanks for the advice

Hi and Welcome to the forum
:wave:

Maybe try breaking in the coil slowly- let the new coil sit in the juice in the pod for at least 15 minutes before firing.
Start out with really low watts like 5w at a time to slowly break in the coils.
Make sure that you dry and wipe out any condensation under the pod may help.
thank you.

I've already tried to do this, it acts like normal for about a day with no issues then suddenly starts to burn out. I'm on the 3rd coil out of 5 at the moment and I'm being extra careful and not chain vaping like I normally do.

thanks for the suggestion.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
thank you.

I've already tried to do this, it acts like normal for about a day with no issues then suddenly starts to burn out. I'm on the 3rd coil out of 5 at the moment and I'm being extra careful and not chain vaping like I normally do.

thanks for the suggestion.
Mite be time for a new setup. Js

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Did you use the other coil that comes with this, you could try the other coil and see what happens? Maybe something going on with the mod?

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I'm starting to think that something in the internals might be broken causing it to run at something different than it's saying on the screen. Could also be that I've been screwed over twice by smok qc with the coil but yeah I'm considering getting something new.
Maybe this is still under the store warranty and could get another one if this one is faulty or store credit to buy something different.

My pod mod is the Smok Fetch Pro 80w- takes a removable 18650 battery and I use the RGC RBA ( rebuildable) coil and I have an Soulmate RDTA pod- been using since March and works great. This one uses the RGC and the RPM factory coils, but I have never used them.

Last edited:
Did you use the other coil that comes with this, you could try the other coil and see what happens? Maybe something going on with the mod?
So i was using the 0.4 coils for a bit but they tend to burn out quickly too. This is probably because I run it on 25w, even though its rated 25 they never run at that from my experience. same with the 0.16, they're rated best at 40w but they never last long at all if you run it at that.

Maybe this is still under the store warranty and could get another one if this one is faulty or store credit to buy something different.
yeah. honestly im stumped. Ive been vaping for about 4 years now and I've never come across anything like this. Ive had a few bad experiences with pods now and I'm considering just getting a box again.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
yeah. honestly im stumped. Ive been vaping for about 4 years now and I've never come across anything like this. Ive had a few bad experiences with pods now and I'm considering just getting a box again.
I mainly use my Pod mods when I leave the house and run errands, not my main vape. Nice to not worrying about a glass tank, that is why I like using pod mods- easy to throw in my pocket or purse.
I have the Dotmod SE AIO too- nice all in one- can take factory coils as well as an RBA- I use the RBA, I am in a ban state for eliquid, but many online shops won't ship to me, so RBAs , RTAs ,RDAs and RDTAs are a must for me.

I mainly use my Pod mods when I leave the house and run errands, not my main vape. Nice to not worrying about a glass tank, that is why I like using pod mods- easy to throw in my pocket or purse.
I have the Dotmod SE AIO too- nice all in one- can take factory coils as well as an RBA- I use the RBA, I am in a ban state for eliquid, but many online shops won't ship to me, so RBAs , RTAs ,RDAs and RDTAs are a must for me.
I only really use the pod because of my work. I need something small to keep in my pocket and I'm normally quite busy so I kinda cba building my own coils haha. There's also charging, it's way easier to just stick a cable in it than charging batteries. I thought a pod would be good because it's ideal for my situation but from my experience, they're a lot more unreliable in various ways.

I had a geekvape aegis boost before the rpm, it's known as the "most durable pod mod" which is pure bs, the charger port on two different models that I bought broke. The port literally just started sliding about everywhere inside the vape so I sent it back and the exact same thing happened on the replacement too.

I could always just get a smaller two battery box rather than a three battery one. I'll have to do some more research since it's been a while since I've had a box. I just want something that is fairly small and is pretty low maintenance.

On a side note with the glass tank thing, when I had a smoke tfv8 (full size) i had one of those ugly bands over the tank glass which pretty much fully protected it from drops. I only had the glass break once and it was when I didn't have the band over the glass.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just want something that is fairly small and is pretty low maintenance.

Not sure how you feel about mechanical mods. Will offer the suggestion of a Geekvape Athena squonk mod though. It is fairly low maintenance. You could even buy, or barter coils already made up for an RDA on it.

Not interested in mechanical or squonking, I suggest any Innokin mod with replaceable batteries. Innokin is pretty stable with good quality. And again you can use any RDA or tank on it.

Not sure how you feel about mechanical mods. Will offer the suggestion of a Geekvape Athena squonk mod though. It is fairly low maintenance. You could even buy, or barter coils already made up for an RDA on it.

Not interested in mechanical or squonking, I suggest any Innokin mod with replaceable batteries. Innokin is pretty stable with good quality. And again you can use any RDA or tank on it.
Honestly, after my experience with the aegis boost I've been put off geekvape, I'll look into it anyways.

Yeah I've been browsing and the innokin mods seem pretty reasonable for the price, I've never had any problems with mods to be honest (except for the wismec rx200 but I know how to solder so that problem was fixed pretty quickly), I'll definitely look into it.

Thanks for the help

VU Sponsors