Become a Patron!

Smokers, get in here. I need some advice.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm a lucky duck and won a raffle for a Pit Boss propane bbq and smoker. I've got a million ideas floating around, so I've come to ask for help - recipes, ideas, tips and tricks, please lay it all on me. I'm no stranger to the grill, but the smoker aspect is equal parts daunting and extremely exciting while being new and mysterious.

Thank you!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I got a pellet grill last year, here's some things I learned:

Most YouTube BBQ channels are stick burners, in other words huge offset smokers burning natural wood. However, you can apply their recipes or ideas to your new device. Some of my favorite channels are: Chuds BBQ, Mad Scientist BBQ, Meat Church, Smokin' Joe's Pit BBQ, The Dawgfatha's BBQ, and the Bearded Butchers. There are a whole bunch out there

For your first cooks go with simple stuff, like chicken thighs or breasts. Don't try to start off with a brisket.

I use simple rubs that I make myself. Good ol' SPG (kosher salt, coarse ground pepper, and granulated garlic) is easy to make and gives you good flavor. Two parts pepper, one part salt, one part garlic is what I use. You can build on that with other spices.

When you use BBQ sauce put it on at the end of your cook, otherwise it will burn.

Cook to temperature not time. Every piece of meat will be different. Poultry you want to get it to 165F. Pork is safe at 145F, but if you want fall off the bone ribs you want to get it to 200F.

Invest in a decent digital thermometer.

Let your meat rest after taking it out of the smoke.

Use nitrile gloves when working with your food so you don't need to constantly wash your hands when ever you touch meat.

Sharp knifes are a must! A 6 to 8 inch boning knife will be your most used.

Get heavy duty aluminum foil so holes won't get poked into it easily.

For beef use a minimum grade of USDA Choice, USDA Prime is better if you can afford it. The reason is fat is flavor and intramuscular fat will be more tender as well.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Holy dang, that's a lot of good advice. Thank you. I think I might have to just go ahead and print that out or save it as a note on my phone.

I tip my hat.

Good call on holding off on a brisket. I figured I'd jump right on it out of the gates, but... let's start with some bird meat first, work our way up.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You'll find that the backyard BBQ community is a lot like us vapers. Everyone tries to help everyone out. The competition guys and rub and sauce sellers will hold back some of their secrets, but for the most part everyone just likes to smoke some food and drink some beers or bourbon.

Enjoy your journey my friend!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Your posts frequently seem to go the extra mile though.
The bit you wrote above is as informative as a post gets.
Thank you! I was raised to treat others as I wish others to treat me. That's something that is lacking in today's world unfortunately.

VU Sponsors