Sony Japan Studio Restructure Leads to Mass Exodus of Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Sony Japan Studio's ongoing restructure has led to a mass exodus of developers behind key PlayStation titles like Demon's Souls on PS5, Gravity Rush, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, and more. In February, Sony confirmed that PlayStation's Japan Studio will be re-organized around Team ASOBI, the development unit behind Astro's Playroom. First-party development elsewhere would be scaled back and other areas of the studio such as localization, external production, and IP management would shift to PlayStation Studios. Since this news, several key members of Japan Studio have announced their departures from the company. Demon's Souls PS5 director Gavin Moore announced today he is leaving Sony after 24 years with the company.
After 24 years at Sony and 18 of those in Japan, yesterday was my last day at #JAPANStudio. I will miss the great creative spirit and camaraderie of the studio that was a huge part of my life. Time to seek out new and exciting opportunities!! pic.twitter.com/XOW0XytYd4

— gavin moore (@GavinmGavin) April 1, 2021
"After 24 years at Sony and 18 of those in Japan, yesterday was my last day at [HASH=3952]#JapanStudio[/HASH]. I will miss the great creative spirit and camaraderie of the studio that was a huge part of my life," Moore wrote in his farewell message. "Time to seek out new and exciting opportunities." Since Moore's message, several others shared that their time with Japan Studio has ended. Departures include former executive producer Yasutaka Asakura, who has credits on Gravity Rush, Bloodborne, and Shadows of the Colossus.
[widget path="global/article/imagegallery" parameters="albumSlug=the-best-ps5-games&captions=true"]

Brendon Pritchard who served as global relations on The Last Guardian also announced their departure; as well as Gravity Rush character designer Shunsuke Saito and senior producer Kentaro Motomura.
今日でソニー・インタラクティブエンタテインメントを退社しますー I'm leaving SIE Japan Studio today pic.twitter.com/jwXrGYMwGp

— 斎藤俊介(ShunsukeSaito) (@sshun3) March 31, 2021
Some of Japan Studio's creatives left earlier. Silent Hill director Keiichiro Toyama, along with Gravity Rush designer Junya Okura and The Last Guardian lead designer Kazunobu Sato all left Japan Studio in December to form Bokeh Game Studio. The developers are already working on their first game, a psychological horror title. As Japan Studio continues its re-structure, all eyes will be on what the studio that has worked on titles like Gravity Rush, Bloodborne, and more will look like once it fully re-centers around Team ASOBI. [poilib element="accentDivider"] Matt T.M. Kim is IGN's News Editor.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors