Become a Patron!

..sooo should I stick with Kanthal is the 'safest' despite no TC? New simple MOD rec.

hi all, I been vaping on and off since 2012, I fell back into cigarettes but am ready to vape and barely smoke at all ( i was down to about 1 cig a month).
Vaping got quite complicated over the years, and I like it simple. I always remember someone joking saying smoking is so easy, 1) put cigarette in mouth 2) light it.
Back in 2013 we basically only used kanthal, then TC came out.
Like anyone, I don't like the ramp up time that kanthal takes but I got used to it, plus I don't vape large coils so it's not so bad. But TC would be nice, however, for safety reasons from articles/blogs it seems kanthal is the safest choice.
I don't plan on dry burning even kanthal much after what I read, I used to often dry burn a used coil cherry red then replace the cotton but now I'm learning dry burning can change the composition etc of the wire, so I'll just replace the wire too, and do a gently dry burn when first building the coil 'to burn off factory oils' or whatever tutorials always used to suggest but maybe people aren't even dry burning brand new kanthal anymore? I build my own coils usually with a small MTL RTA type tank.

ALLLLLL my DNA mods have bricked themselves due to USB charging, like 4 of them about $600 total basically paper weights now, is partly why I got back on cigarettes. I'm now done with DNA brand, they claim to be able to safely charge via USB (which they do, escribe and nitcore externals show they have the same voltage and % after some use) but there's a charging circuit on the board that always fries, the circuit is being sold on ebay quite a bit for just $15 but it's not worth the hassle. I had to warranty repair all my mods and pay to and fro shipping not much but still they brick again in a couple months and I was very gentle on them only vaped small coils on wattage low power.

What I'm getting at is I'm looking for a new MOD that can safely USB charge, because it's so simple to just plug in rather than take battery out plus I've had plenty of nitecores go defective on me over the years too but I replace them to charge my LED headlamps.
Basically any MOD can safely charge via USB if it's just one battery and that's what I want is just a small sort of 18650 MOD - it's only when there's multiple cells that it can become sketchy.
So since I'm leaning towards kanthal likely being the safest coil material and possibly best for flavor, although the flavors always kind of sketched me out and I did well on just %100 VG flavorless ~%7, I'm leaning towards hoping for suggestions for a small MOD that isn't too complicated to use due to many TC etc setting that I won't even need with wattage mode and kanthal. Basically all I'd need is a 5 click lock and wattage up/down?

Someone suggested some months ago Lost Vape Thelema Solo 100 or IP68 but hopefully there's something newer that fits my needs better?

Again, I vape small coils usually and not even more than like 10 Watts, so I don't need anything with super high power ability.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I'd like to read any of those articles/blogs you reference. If you could post links, that'd be great.

DNA has always been good to me. They've even fixed a couple out of warranty mods and sent them back on their dime. That's what they do.

IMO, the ONLY safest way to charge the batteries we use to vape, is with an external charger. No mod is safer. Even then its best to not leave them unattended when charging.

What about a single 21700 mod?
W/ Vapcell G50 or Molicell M50A for that 10W. They can do more, for like a low wattage rdl but for 10ishW the charge would last an eternity, comparatively speaking.

I have this charger. Runs off wall socket or micro usb. 21700's fit easily. And you can turn the lcd off while charging.

Last edited:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Thelema solo is a good mod. the geekvape s100 feels way better in the hand if u only want 18650. much shorter too

I wouldnt worry about temp control for small low watt coils

Some said the same on the evolve (DNA's official site) forum, that they have tons of DNA mods and have USB charged them and never had a problem, but mine all broke in about a year, yes they did warranty some of them past their 12 month period and/or without proof of purchase although I did buy mine all brand new from reliable online retailers, they did something in escribe to most of them despite I couldn't get anything to happen in escribe using recommendations from their forum, I think 1 they replaced the board, but somehow they all rather quickly gave problems again or bricked. I used only genuine best 18650s that were recommended for my type of vaping, used only the best UL brand USB adapters and cables, I did get some juice in them from time to time with leaking RTAs but supposedly that wasn't the issue.

Anyway, it seems trying to find a small MOD that can only do Wattage might not be worth it, I like the new ip68 Water, dust, and shock resistant MODs although I barely ever dropped one but sometimes they do get a little wet but these newer ones faster type C USB and modern technology can do Wattage plus TC and everything else, I actually did like customizing my DNAs with escribe for saving battery life etc and did a few other things in escribe so I think most of these newer mods won't be too complex for me. I could just find some older like 2015 18650 Wattage-only MOD and try that but I think I'll go with what's modern. I've been searching best 2023 2022 18650 or 21700 mods and will pick one of them. One thing though which sucks is I'm vegan and some I'm interested in are leather - I remember the first batch of leather MODS a few years ago and it's strange that it became popular, seems it would accumulate grime etc, I know it grips well but so does other textured materials, also not a fan of the new physical click-lock features, I prefer 5x click to lock, a lever can more easily come undone in the pocket etc plus it's an extra part that can break, but I'll find a nice new MOD(s).

I was thinking something Pod style too but I prefer using my own RTAs / MTLs but I'm considering some of the mini built-in battery Mods with a mini RTA, they're cheap and when the battery dies isn't a big deal to replace - it's nice to have long battery life of dual 18650 etc and the power to drive big coils I vaped like that for a while but ultimately my preference is a small pocket MOD, my fav was a protank on a VV 1300 mAh spinner around 2014 lol.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Depending on the size of RTA you want to use, you could do a lot worse than just buying one of the models of eLeaf Pico. They are durable and easy to use, and have a few bells and whistles if you decide you want to go for that.

The smallest regular Pico mod (the 75W ones) will only hold up to about a 23mm atomizer, but there's a 21700 version and a 25mm version that will hold tanks that are a little larger. Every Pico I've had has been single-battery, and they've done fine with in-mod charging.

Also, for years Voopoo has been making dual-18650 mods that do balanced charging. The newer Drag models, the X217, and the VMate all do a great job of charging multiple batteries in the mod. They also have a nice line of Drag X mods that are single 18650 or single 21700, just be sure if you want to use your own RTAs, that you get one that has a 510 connector. Some of them have magnetic connectors and proprietary tanks.

A low-ish wattage combination that I would love would be a Steam Crave Aromamizer Lite and a Pico 75W or 21700. I very much like the battery life of single-21700 mods, and the Aromamizer Lite is a terrific tank and extremely easy to build.

ETA: I don't use kanthal - it drives me crazy waiting on it to get hot enough. How about N80? If you aren't sensitive to nickel, N80 might be just the thing. Not nearly as sensitive as SS to being dry-burned.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
ALLLLLL my DNA mods have bricked themselves due to USB charging, like 4 of them about $600 total basically paper weights now,
That could be seen as lending some credence to using mechanical mods over regulated mods. My own view foresaw what you describe manifest, ergo, I use mechanical mods.
they claim to be able to safely charge via USB (which they do, escribe and nitcore externals show they have the same voltage and % after some use) but there's a charging circuit on the board that always fries, the circuit is being sold on ebay quite a bit for just $15 but it's not worth the hassle. I had to warranty repair all my mods and pay to and fro shipping not much but still they brick again in a couple months
Yes, glad I've steered away from such hassle, drama.
So since I'm leaning towards kanthal likely being the safest coil material and possibly best for flavor
Like using Kanthal as well. Not sure if I would go so far as to say what you've said, though. Many others might even rightly claim Ni Chrome, or Stainless Steel, Tungsten are far superior in either, or both cases.

Frankly, I do not chase after best, preferring instead to use what works for me & follows K.I.S.S. That is though mere opinion, preference. Still, that is ultimately what the best winds up being, anyway, opinion & preference.
I don't use kanthal - it drives me crazy waiting on it to get hot enough.
For me, it is only a short walk. ;) Hope the drive is not too long for you. :p Do not really see much of a long ramp up time. Then, I use squashed together coils, not spaced ones. Have tried spaced and even the Kanthal one wrap, Stainless next wrap and so on. Again, only my preference & opinion. All of us find what we each like using. Live and let live, let and let be.

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Just looking around, since I like shopping with other people's money hehe. This popped up, always liked it. Looks so comfortable, like you could forget you were holding it.

For no frills mod, might find a modern VV mod before a wattage only. Or mech.

Last edited:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
lol, im never gonna save any money. that is sweet tho, never seen that one before.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
lol, im never gonna save any money. that is sweet tho, never seen that one before.
Too many bastige enablers on here. You'll learn to use the terminology of GFY soon enough. LOL Although, around here that's a term of endearment.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors