Spatter? Flooding? Both...?

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So I have heard references to "flooding" an atmoizer, but no real discussions of what causes it or how to resolve it.

Recently I have noticed that fluid is coming up the chimney of my EVOD 2 tank that uses a bottom dual coil atomizer. Sometimes up into my mouth.

I also have a Nicquid Chocolate and it regularly makes a popping sound, so don't know if that has something to do with, or if it is common when using certain types of liquid.

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not familiar with evod in particular. I've found that if you suck too hard excess liquid gets into the chamber. You are over saturating past the coils ability to burn it off. In other words don't take huge hard drags like on an analog.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok, I've been trying to figure out the best "technique" and have been dragging about the same as an analog.

Thanks

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me boring out the air holes loosened the flow and was able to get more while using less effort. Really that's why i moved to only dripping.

bystander

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try this "trick" from @UncleRJ who provided this information when I experienced the same issue per this thread:
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/are-all-juices-created-equal.4953/#post-40553

What may have happened when you removed the base to add more liquid, you may have loosened the coil head which has caused a leak. Remove the base, tighten the head (finger tight only) put the base back on.

Then get a paper towel, point the base of the unit at the ceiling covered with the paper (removed from your battery of course) and blow into the drip tip into the towel and that should clear the excess liquid from the coil and the air connector.

It may take a firm blow or two but it should work.

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hello @InMyImage :)

Let me first ask... how old is this evod and the head you currently have in it?
Do you lay this setup down on its side alot?... and if so, is this when the juice up the chimney normally occurs?
No worries about the crackling... some juices do that.

Here's some possibilities
  • You're dragging too hard - Your drag on an e-cig is gonna be softer and lighter than on an analog cig.
  • The coil head is old and needs replaced
  • You've lost an O-ring / or Evod is leaking through to battery - When you take the evod off the battery, do you find a lot of juice on the battery connection?
  • You're juice is too thin - what pg/vg ratio is your juice?
  • You're juice or coil is getting too hot - what type of battery - volts/watts are you using this on? - What ohm is your coil head?
A quick fix... Take the evod off the battery... hold a tissue or towel over the threaded end... blow GENTLY through the mouthpiece. This will clear out any juice built up in the coil head/chimney. If you still feel their is juice in the chimney... turn the evod upside down and stand it up on the mouthpiece for a few mins... then take a q-tip and gently push it down into the mouthpiece to soak up any juice that ran out.

bbybee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This was a common problem the the Evod's predecessor, the T3 and MT3. In addition to Ace's and Unc's solutions, you can take the head out and fluff the ends of the wicks. Sometimes they don't expand enough to fill the holes they come through, letting too much juice into the coil area.
I, like Ace, after messing with them, rebuilding them, and messing with them some more, finally gave up and headed in another direction.
When the work, they're a pretty good vape. When they start flooding and gurgling, they can be quite aggravating.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks guys, I am very new to vaping. I just got my EVOD 2 kit about 10 days ago.

I found a video about using the 510 atomizer on youtube and the person went through a detailed process of how to prepare it for changing flavors. I took mine apart and did the same thing, which included dry burning the coils to get the last bit out and now my non-chocolate tank is behaving the same way it did when I got it. The one I did this on is Namber Juice which is supposedly 50/50.

I'll go through the same process on the NicQuid Chocolate tank and see if it improves the situation. The mix on it is supposedly 60pg/40vg. It has popped on every hit since day one, but was the first to start this latest degradation. My all day vape is NicQuid Sinnamon and only recently started popping and spit a small amount, but it's coil also died this morning and after going through the same procedure on it, it works like a champ, so I expect the Chocolate to improve dramatically.

I have a feeling that I misunderstood a direction the guy at the shop gave me about priming the coil each time, and that he only meant when you replace a coil, not refill the tank. I've been priming it every time I fill and am going to stop and see if that solves the problem long term.

Think I'm also going to invest in some pipe cleaners to drag through the tank chimney each time I top them off.

I'm getting ready to start mixing my own in the next couple of days and plan to use a 60/40 ratio so hopefully it isn't the mix ration that is the problem with the Chocolate because I want the extra flavor but don't think I take much more than the 60pg because I had some Atlantic cartomizers and was dehydrated something fierce.

I expect the 510 to arrive tomorrow or Tuesday. I got all my mixing supplies today, and hope to get my flavors, nic, pg and vg tomorrow or Tuesday also.

Thanks again

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
btw, l lay my tanks avd pen down most of the time. does this lead to another potential problem?

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
double post

Last edited:

VU Sponsors