Become a Patron!

Spider-Man 4 May Already Be In Development Based On New Interview With Sony And Marvel Execs

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Spider-Man producers Amy Pascal and Kevin Feige have shared more about the development of Spider-Man: No Way Home and teased that Disney/Marvel and Sony are "actively beginning to develop" Spidey's next story, which just may end up being Spider-Man 4.

In an interview with The New York Times, Pascal and Feige were asked about both the next stand-alone Spider-Man movie and the recent comments that confirmed Sony and Disney would be working together on at least three more Spider-Man films together.

"We’re producers, so we always believe everything will work out," Pascal said. "I love working with Kevin. We have a great partnership, along with Tom Rothman, who runs Sony and has been instrumental, a great leader with great ideas. I hope it lasts forever."

Feige added that not only are they working together, but that they are "actively beginning to develop" where Spider-Man's story goes next. Whether this is Spider-Man 4 or another cameo remains to be seen, but fans will be happy to know they are already hard at work on the next steps for Tom Holland's Peter Parker.

He also shared that he revealed this info because he doesn't want to have another situation similar to what happened after Spider-Man: Far From Home where Sony and Disney/Marvel almost didn't make another Spider-Man film together.

"Amy and I and Disney and Sony are talking about — yes, we’re actively beginning to develop where the story heads next, which I only say outright because I don’t want fans to go through any separation trauma like what happened after “Far From Home” [the previous Spider-Man movie, in 2019]. That will not be occurring this time," Feige said.

SPOILERS AHEAD for Spider-Man: No Way Home!!!

"At the end of the movie we just made, you see Spider-Man make a momentous decision, one that you’ve never seen him make before," Pascal added. "It’s a sacrifice. And that gives us a lot to work with for the next film."

Pascal also discussed her thoughts on the studios somehow being able to "top" Spider-Man: No Way Home, which saw the addition of a ton of actors from Spider-Man's history.

"Not every Spider-Man movie is going to be a multitude of characters," Pascal said. "That approach was right for this one. You can’t think about topping yourself in terms of spectacle. Otherwise movies just get larger and larger for no reason, and it’s not a good result. But we do want to always try and top ourselves in terms of quality and emotion.

"Kevin and I never want to lose sight of one thing: Peter Parker. That he’s a normal kid. That he is orphaned over and over again. That he’s a teenager, so everything in his life is at a heightened pitch and everything matters more than anything. That he’s fueled by goodness and guilt. That he’s striving for a greater cause, and he’s vilified by the press."

The pair went on to discuss how they managed to get all these actors back in the Spider-Man universe and, while they didn't go too much into specifics, they shared a bit about the process and how they convinced those who were a bit skeptical about the whole thing.

"That these weren’t going to be cash-grab cameos," Pascal said. "The parts were real. That I was there with them the first time and would be again, that I have too much respect for them and all the work we did together over the years."

While many rejoiced and celebrated when Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield once again became their versions of Spider-Man, there are those who were also hoping for an appearance by Spider-Man's Kirsten Dunst and Amazing Spider-Man's Emma Stone.

"When people see the movie, they will understand," Feige said. "It’s about the story. It was a big goal for all of us — Amy and Jon and our writers, Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers — that Peter Parker’s senior year in high school didn’t get lost amid the insanity that ensues thanks to his encounter with Doctor Strange. That easily could have happened. And that’s the reason there’s not another 20 people in the movie."

Pascal and Feige were also asked by NYT's Brooks Barnes if we were "ever going to see a woman with superpowers alongside Spider-Man." It was then brought up that there is a story line in the comics where MJ gets to try out the Iron Spider armor. While Pascal gave a "coy smile" and simply said, "never say never," Feige revealed a bit more of their philosophy.

"We have a lot of story lines, Brooks! A lot of story lines," Feige said. "It comes down to these great, great actors. My guess is your question is less about what MJ did in the comics and more about 'Zendaya is really great. Can we see more of her?'"

Pascal and Feige have now worked together for three Spider-Man films and a few cameos in other MCU films, and they both talked about how their partnership began with a cry for help after the "rather wobbly" Amazing Spider-Man 2.

"That is the truth," Pascal revealed. "I called Kevin and said, 'Help.' And then he came over to my office for lunch and said, 'I know how to help you.' And then I threw a sandwich at him."

"She said, 'I really want you to help on this next movie. We have these great ideas for the next one. It’s amazing stuff,' Feige said. "And I said, 'I’m not good at that — giving advice and leaving. The only way I know how to help is if we just make the movie for you."

"And then Kevin called me and came over to the house and said, 'I have an idea. What if Tony Stark makes Peter’s suit?' And as soon as he said that, I understood the possibilities of what we could do together," Pascal concluded. 'To have Iron Man and Spidey in the same world, one rooted more in technological innovation — the new suit — and less in medical experimentation, which is where we were confined before, felt so much more modern."

This interview is filled with other great little details, including a confirmation that Pascal once FaceTimed with Tom Holland in a bathtub. Unfortunately, Pascal isn't one to FaceTime and tell and won't share any more of the details of that fateful bath conversation.

For more on Spider-Man: No Way Home - which has already earned $50 million from its Thursday "preview" screenings, check out our review of the film, our explainer of the ending and the post-credits scenes, and our 10 biggest WTF questions after leaving the theater.

Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to [email protected].

Adam Bankhurst is a news writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter
@AdamBankhurst and on Twitch.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors