Spider-Man: No Way Home: Kevin Smith Calls Out Oscar Snub

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Kevin Smith isn’t happy that Spider-Man: No Way Home was snubbed at this year’s Oscars.

Tackling the Academy Awards on his Fatman Beyond podcast, Smith questioned why the most popular film of the year (at least in sheer box office numbers) wasn’t nominated for Best Picture.

“They got ten slots, they can’t give one to the biggest f**king movie of the last three years?” he said. “Man, and they’re like, ‘Why won’t anyone watch this show?’ Like, f**king make a populist choice, f**k, man. You got how many slots? Throw in Spider-Man for God’s sakes. Let him swing in there.”

“F**king poor kid’s always getting crapped on and shit,” he added. “Show Peter Parker some f**king love. I’m not even being facetious, with as many movies as they now nominate for Best Picture. It used to be five?”

At this point, the livestream cut out, but Smith wasn’t done. “Kids, the conspiracy is real,” he joked in a follow-up video. “I spoke about Spider-Man not being nominated by the Academy, and we got tossed off of the YouTube. Tie those two things together. The truth lies somewhere out there.”

Smith’s comments come after Spider-Man: No Way Home failed to pick up a Best Picture nomination despite earning a staggering $1.8 billion at the worldwide box office, making it the highest-grossing movie of 2021.

But Smith isn’t the first to get angry at its Oscars snub.

“The biggest snub today in my opinion, and I’m actually even angry about this, I’m kind of embarrassed to say, is the unforgivable omission of Spider-Man: No Way Home,” said Jimmy Kimmel. “You’re telling me Don’t Look Up was better than Spider-Man? It certainly was not.”

Thankfully, it looks as though the Academy has been listening to the complaints.

The 94th Academy Awards will now allow Twitter users to vote for their favorite movie of 2021, with the winner being ‘recognized’ in some capacity at the awards ceremony. Whether or not this means some kind of special award for the winner remains to be seen, but it seems more likely to be an announcement and a round of applause.

This isn’t the first time the Academy has toyed with the idea of recognizing more popular movies. During the 2019 Academy Awards, there were plans to add a new award category – Outstanding Achievement in Popular Film. But, after pushback from Academy members, the award was ultimately scrapped.

Still, with Spider-Man: No Way Home topping the 2021 box office and becoming Sony’s highest-grossing film of all time, it begs the question – is it time for the Academy to start recognizing popular movies?

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors