Become a Patron!

Spider-Man: No Way Home Originally Planned To Keep Its Multiverse Crossover a Secret

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Tom Holland has said that Spider-Man: No Way Home was originally going to throw fans a curveball, keeping the multiverse a secret to be revealed during the movie.

During an interview with Yahoo! Movies UK, the Spider-Man: No Way Home star revealed that the multiverse was originally kept quiet in the film’s marketing.

“The initial plan was to make the film seem like a civil war between [Spider-Man] and Doctor Strange,” he said. “They were going to keep everything a secret. [But] that is impossible.”

Essentially, this would have meant recent Spider-Man: No Way Home trailers revealing the likes of Dock Ock, Electro and The Green Goblin would have been canned, in favour of more interaction between Spider-Man and Doctor Strange.

Considering the huge amount of buzz those trailers generated, I can’t help thinking Sony probably went in the right direction.

“It’s good that people get to see,” added Holland's fellow cast member, Zendaya.

“We're pretty tired of constantly lying and deceiving people,” said Holland. “I feel like conscience is weighing on me now. It's tough.”

Holland has famously let slip various Marvel secrets during the course of the MCU, so it’s no wonder the Spider-Man actor is starting to feel the pressure. But it seems he won’t let that stop him from carrying on as Marvel’s friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man.

The opening of the multiverse opens up a whole multiverse of possibilities for Marvel, potentially paving the way for villains and heroes to cross over into the main MCU timeline.

“There now is, because of the multiverse, literally an infinite amount of possibilities of what this film could be or could turn into,” said Zendaya. “I think everybody should just go into it with no expectations and just have fun.”

Whether or not Marvel will make more of this after No Way Home remains to be seen.

Spider-Man: No Way Home debuts in theaters on December 17, 2021.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors