Become a Patron!

Spider-Man: No Way Home Production Included 'Spider-Man Therapy Session' For Tom Holland, Andrew Garfield, And Tobey Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Spider-Man: No Way Home director Jon Watts revealed that he, Tom Holland, Andrew Garfield, Tobey Maguire, Zendaya, and Jacob Batalon had something of a "Spider-Man therapy session" before filming the movie's first scene together.

Speaking to Variety, Watts shared that the so-called therapy session was the first time he had everyone together to talk about the story and how much Spider-Man means to each one of them.

"We sat on folding chairs in a circle and went through the script together," Watts said. "I had talked to everyone separately, but to have everyone together to talk about the story, how the pieces fit together and what Spider-Man meant to them — that was exciting for me. We had the only three actors to ever play Spider-Man in a film, and each had been through so much, on and off screen. It was like a Spider-Man therapy session.”

This session, and all the work done prior to filming No Way Home's first scene, allowed Watts to "take a step back" and realize that he and the crew were "capturing something more than a scene from a movie." To them, it was simply "watching a once-in-a-lifetime event."

Watts also discussed how his three Spider-Man films - Homecoming, Far From Home, and No Way Home - actually mirrored his greatest fears as he made these very personal feelings central to the "thematics of the films."

"I’ve always taken my greatest fear and made that central to the thematics of the films,” Watts says. “‘Homecoming’ is about a kid who gets a huge opportunity and is so afraid he’ll miss his chance, that he creates a disaster. That was my fear: ‘What if I screw the whole thing up?’ ‘Far From Home’ is about being afraid to make a second movie and screwing things up. Peter Parker is given a mission and he doesn’t want to take a risk. ‘No Way Home’ is about trying to finish this origin story and the responsibility that comes with this. Peter Parker and Spider-Man mean so much to people and I felt that responsibility.”

For more, check out the full script for Spider-Man: No Way Home, concept art that reveals Mysterio was almost part of the story, and Sam Raimi's thoughts on the film.

Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to [email protected].

Adam Bankhurst is a news writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter
@AdamBankhurst and on Twitch.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors