Spider-Man: No Way Home Treated as the 'End of a Franchise," Tom Holland Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Tom Holland says he's looking at Spider-Man: No Way Home as the "end of a franchise."

The Spider-Man actor spoke with EW, where he said if his run of solo Spider-Man films were to continue, they would look a lot different than the three he's starred in so far.

"I think if we were lucky enough to dive into these characters again, you'd be seeing a very different version. It would no longer be the Homecoming trilogy," Holland said. "We would give it some time and try to build something different and tonally change the films. Whether that happens or not, I don't know. But we were definitely treating [No Way Home] like it was coming to an end, and it felt like it."

The Homecoming trilogy includes Spider-Man: Homecoming, Spider-Man: Far From Home, and the upcoming No Way Home. Besides those films, Holland made his debut as Peter Parker in Captain America: Civil War, and he also made appearances in Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame.

Zendaya and Jacob Batalon, who play MJ and Peter's best friend Ned, have appeared in all three films of the Homecoming trilogy. Holland said it was an emotional day on set when filming for No Way Home wrapped.

"We've been making these films for five years now," Holland said. "We've had such an amazing relationship, the three of us. We've been with each other every step of the way. We've done every single film, every single press tour. So this one scene, [we didn't know] if this would be the last time [we were all working together.] [It] was heartbreaking but also really exciting because we're all moving into the next chapter of our careers. So sharing that moment with them was maybe the best day I've ever had on set. I don't think I've cried like that ever."

No Way Home is definitely ambitious enough to mark the end of a trilogy. Spider-Man 2's Doc Ock will appear in the movie, and Doctor Strange will also appear alongside Peter Parker. And, there's (spoilery) evidence that suggests another Marvel character could appear in the film. Spider-Man: No Way Home is set to hit theaters on December 17.

No live-action Spider-Man actor has ever gotten more than three solo films. Director Sam Raimi famously planned a Spider-Man 4 starring Tobey Maguire, but Raimi and Sony parted wats before the movie entered production. Andrew Garfield starred in two Spider-Man movies before the franchise rebooted once again with Tom Holland. For more, check out our ranking of every Spider-Man movie.

Logan Plant is a freelance writer for IGN. You can find him on Twitter @LoganJPlant.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors