Become a Patron!

Staged heating and claptons

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can someone elaborate the general rule for building staged heating claptons? I know why and how its supposed to work, I'm just not sure what to stage say a 26g fused Clapton with. Should I go with a higher gauge than my core wire or just smaller than my Clapton

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can someone elaborate the general rule for building staged heating claptons? I know why and how its supposed to work, I'm just not sure what to stage say a 26g fused Clapton with. Should I go with a higher gauge than my core wire or just smaller than my Clapton

What is a staged heating Claptons?

VAPE ON

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

VAPE ON
Obvious your reading comp skills need improvement.
If I need to explain it to you ej you still would not get it because it was in the original post.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Obvious your reading comp skills need improvement.
If I need to explain it to you ej you still would not get it because it was in the original post.
Ey man, I'm not one of those that knows everything, I ask cuz I don't know what op meant, ur free to advice than criticize..
UR NAME FITS U
ALWAYS NASTY

VAPE ON

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ey man, I'm not one of those that knows everything, I ask cuz I don't know what op meant, ur free to advice than criticize..
UR NAME FITS U
ALWAYS NASTY

VAPE ON
Staged
Heating
Clapton.

Pretty explanatory in the name itself.

OP the only thing I see the issue being is it not getting an even connection on the leads, Would suggest something close to the clapton thickness.

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This is a pic of a staged heating Clapton, ej1024. Sorry it's kinda fuzzy. Basically, it's just a parallel coil, with one being the Clapton and the other (usually) being a plain wire. To parallel the two, it's easiest just to coil the Clapton then run the plain wire between the Clapton coil wraps while it's still wrapped around whatever wrapping tool you're using.

"Staged heating" means the coils heats up in stages. Either the Clapton will heat up first, or the staging wire will, depending on what wires you are using for the Clapton core and the staging wire.

The pic is a Clapton with a kanthal core, wrapped in nichrome, with a nichrome staging wire.

Simple-sraged-clapton.jpg

Last edited:

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Staged
Heating
Clapton.

Pretty explanatory in the name itself.
This is why you asked

OP the only thing I see the issue being is it not getting an even connection on the leads, Would suggest something close to the clapton thickness.
Thanks for the response men, I've never done that,post it in the coil builder area

VAPE ON

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is a pic of a staged heating Clapton, ej1024. Sorry it's kinda fuzzy. Basically, it's just a parallel coil, with one being the Clapton and the other (usually) being a plain wire. To parallel the two, it's easiest just to coil the Clapton then run the plain wire around the Clapton coil while it's still wrapped around whatever wrapping tool you're using.

Simple-sraged-clapton.jpg
Post it it in the cloud chasing thread

VAPE ON

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So even staging with something like 24g would work alright, I'm mainly looking to kill some ramp up time on my unregulated mod

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For staged claptons I either use same core wire size or the gauge smaller than core.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay thanks guys, I'll try staging with 26 and see how I like it

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well? All work well?

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well? All work well?

I didn't get to build last night after work, I might try it tonight or tomorrow since I'm off. I'm still deciding where I want resistance to be too lol

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I didn't get to build last night after work, I might try it tonight or tomorrow since I'm off. I'm still deciding where I want resistance to be too lol

Well I never have a target resistance, just a feel kinda thing. When you make a Clapton say 26/30 and 5 wraps with a 3mm inner your gonna see about .7-.9 maybe even 1 (for a single) so when you stage all your doing is lowering that.
890b577e827d967b26fcf85911bdbd89.jpg

That one is 26/30 and twisted 26 for staging. I believe it was a .3 by the time all was said and done

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Staged Heating Fused Claptons :cool: This is one of my favorite builds. Make sure when building low your have done research into Ohms Law, Battery Safety and have gone over your gear and understand the dangers involved.
24g/34g Fused Clapton Staged with 22g, 6 Wraps around a 2.5mm Bit (.12 Ohms)
20151109_190213-jpg.33421

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's really sloppy, I didn't realize how hard itd be to bend all that wire on such a small screwdriver. 5 wraps at 2.4mm 2x26g fused claptons with 26g stage. Both mods say it ohms out to .12 ( scary but we'll within my battery safety) but this new ohm meter says .07 ohm. I'm pretty sure the gf just got a cheap one so I'll give it a shot, it really shouldn't come out to .07 anyway I look at it.
24ec73e12804985382b4521b7060756c.jpg

ecbbd253ff1e221b588dcc0b92c132c0.jpg

TF Vaping

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's really sloppy, I didn't realize how hard itd be to bend all that wire on such a small screwdriver. 5 wraps at 2.4mm 2x26g fused claptons with 26g stage. Both mods say it ohms out to .12 ( scary but we'll within my battery safety) but this new ohm meter says .07 ohm. I'm pretty sure the gf just got a cheap one so I'll give it a shot, it really shouldn't come out to .07 anyway I look at it.

Looks good bro

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Yes. How on earth could you EVER think it was okay...exposing us to those disturbing images, I feel my life has now been morally tainted due to viewing the most disrespectful failed pieces of coil building I've experienced yet. You sir should be ashamed of yourself and the behalf of our community.:p
I'm joking bud, you did a pretty amazing job. Try not to be so hard on yourself...we aren't the shark tank...

Last edited:

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol guys, its just not quite as clean as I'd like it to be, I'm pretty particular about my builds so anything that's not just right is bad for me lol. I definitely accomplished cutting ramp up time though, its kind of cool how fast all that wire heats up.

Last edited:

Dc01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice man! What do you guys think staged better that plain fused clap?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Nice man! What do you guys think staged better that plain fused clap?
Thats depends if your like a warm or hot vape, I like a hot flavorful vape, so Staged is the way to go as the ramp time is shorter and the heat picks up fast.

Dc01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ya same hear o like the screaming hot vape

Dc01

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nice I like that flattened look ...I tried twisting the fused it capes nice don't think it improved anything but what the hell lol hits great

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Nice I like that flattened look ...I tried twisting the fused it capes nice don't think it improved anything but what the hell lol hits great
Twist your wire first then clapton it and helix the clapton, its a nice vape by itself.

20151109_124839-jpg.33391
20151109_124810-jpg.33389

20151107_132929-jpg.33248

20151107_133206-jpg.33249
20151107_133402-jpg.33247

blakemorder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ya same hear o like the screaming hot vape
Staging is problem the best way to get that hot vape with a mech when using claptons. I'll be trying some multi strands when I get wire but I'm not expecting it to be any better.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can do these builds. Perhaps, not quite super high end elite at them, ... yet. I'm sure more practice & I'll be there. Got a Clapton 26g36g wrap all Kanthal paralleled with 26g SSL316 going in the Gorge at around .44 Ω currently. I read here now about twisting. *nodding* Think I might have some ideas.

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I actually made one of these the other day for a single coil rda, its been a good while but they are a great build

cc1f33139e931d1114f6829f8d5da63a.jpg
1624a155ce372e812da3da7d9e7b86a0.jpg
cf9db79b4bfa847dc0dfbf0897ffb477.jpg

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I actually made one of these the other day for a single coil rda, its been a good while but they are a great build

cc1f33139e931d1114f6829f8d5da63a.jpg
1624a155ce372e812da3da7d9e7b86a0.jpg
cf9db79b4bfa847dc0dfbf0897ffb477.jpg

Sweet looking too. I've also figured out how to get stapled Claptons. I'm just not quite there yet. That'll take investment on my part both money wise and just set and do up wire. Sure, I enjoy doing up wire up to a point. Then, on the other hand I can be happy tossing in single strand Kanthal or SSL316, NiChrome.

Not sure I'm to artisan level well enough to start selling coil builds. And I'm not even sure there would be a market locally. I've seen some here in our apartment complex vape. We all get what we need however. It would be awkward, "Hey, want to look at my coils?"

There's two shops in Ripley. I'm sure folks visit the one that come out of Charleston & get coils. The other shop seems set up as a new vaper death trap. "Sure we got your gear, for all your money. Need help? Tough." So, really rather not walk into either shop with "Got coils if you can move them."

I would be lucky to see any return. "But you gave us the coils." No, I'm not making excuses but framing the realities of how things are. Folks get what they need however they need without bumping into the odd neighbor hawking coils, shops do for shops and won't let you consign sell.

Sure I might sell over the web. Then again it comes back to being that weird neighbor hawking coils. Besides that selling online then requires postage, shipping, insurance. I'd not have any idea of a fair price to meet all that. I see what others charge and that's okay. I'm sure some have built solid reputations and can charge a little more. It really still doesn't help indicate what some "new" guy selling could sell coils priced at.

That leaves me back at where I found myself as relates to programming. "Damn, I got no problem that programming can solve. Ergo, no real need to learn much programming." In this case it's coils. It's relevant for myself and for myself alone. Already figured I can do with the simplest. Life is frustrating like that at times.

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Sweet looking too. I've also figured out how to get stapled Claptons. I'm just not quite there yet. That'll take investment on my part both money wise and just set and do up wire. Sure, I enjoy doing up wire up to a point. Then, on the other hand I can be happy tossing in single strand Kanthal or SSL316, NiChrome.

Not sure I'm to artisan level well enough to start selling coil builds. And I'm not even sure there would be a market locally. I've seen some here in our apartment complex vape. We all get what we need however. It would be awkward, "Hey, want to look at my coils?"

There's two shops in Ripley. I'm sure folks visit the one that come out of Charleston & get coils. The other shop seems set up as a new vaper death trap. "Sure we got your gear, for all your money. Need help? Tough." So, really rather not walk into either shop with "Got coils if you can move them."

I would be lucky to see any return. "But you gave us the coils." No, I'm not making excuses but framing the realities of how things are. Folks get what they need however they need without bumping into the odd neighbor hawking coils, shops do for shops and won't let you consign sell.

Sure I might sell over the web. Then again it comes back to being that weird neighbor hawking coils. Besides that selling online then requires postage, shipping, insurance. I'd not have any idea of a fair price to meet all that. I see what others charge and that's okay. I'm sure some have built solid reputations and can charge a little more. It really still doesn't help indicate what some "new" guy selling could sell coils priced at.

That leaves me back at where I found myself as relates to programming. "Damn, I got no problem that programming can solve. Ergo, no real need to learn much programming." In this case it's coils. It's relevant for myself and for myself alone. Already figured I can do with the simplest. Life is frustrating like that at times.
You charge what you believe is right for your time, its not up to anyone else to name a price for your time and effort. The best way to get into local shops is to build a formal relationship and then slowly expose them to your work, if they are interested they will hear you out. Selling online is pretty easy, you have a few choices but the place I prefer is Etsy, it essentially makes it easy for you and if you get a $30 printer you can just do 1-click printer labels for every purchase...which is all written up for you. Its around $1.00 per listing and shipping its around $3.90 for first class usps within the US.

Starting a business isnt being the weird guy, its being a entrepreneur - smart and useful, not everyone has a skill or talent that they make money off. Take pride in it, dont doubt yourself, and dont think less of what you do. We are a nation of consumers and there is always someone looking for an item they need out there, providing something someone may need is a good thing. Having some extra cash cant be a bad thing...reputation within a community is something you build on, its not handed out.

Last edited:
I recently created my first staged fused clapton (coil pic). ... to support a staged option so I had to estimate by using the staging wire as a ... I haven't vaped with it but did dry fire and it looks like the heating is a little uneven with the staging wire heating faster (and first) .... Deeming Regulations have been.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
t looks like the heating is a little uneven with the staging wire heating faster (and first)
That's what it's supposed to do - heat up in stages. One wire ALWAYS heats up faster.

VU Sponsors