Become a Patron!

Stainless steel keen mechanical mod hot button issue.

rottev

Member For 2 Years
Hi,
After more than a month of using the keen, once in about every 3 hits the button becomes so hot it makes me jerk instantaneously, it almost feels like its shocking me, I have other mechs and can use the same atomizers / builds on top of them without issue (resistance is a 0.1) I have disassembled the mech and cleaned it more than 10 times (It's spotless and only about a month old) but nothing helps, Also had a go at 3d printing some parts to put under the main spring and constant contact spring just to see if isolating them will help, I have no idea what is causing this though I'm guessing it has something to do with the horizontal round sprigs that are in constant with the firing pin though I cant be sure.

I did read over the internet people having issues specifically with the SS keen and hot button though none of them came up with a solution, my question does anyone know of some who has been successful in solving this and if so how?

Thanks and good day.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you can still get the copper or brass version of the Keen, then pairing the button from that one with your stainless steel Keen would effectively solve the hot button problem. You could try to look for one on the used market maybe, and, essentially all you really need is just the button, in copper or brass. I would imagine that a lot of ppl who still own one of these and who are still trying to sell it right now are doing so only because the button is completely battered, though. The only other solution AFAIK would be to throw the mech in the old bucket of scrap metal, if we can assume that the bucket has got enough room left for that.

:luck:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
OH, that's why I ignored him. lol
Replace the spring. Give the mod a good cleaning. Heat anywhere except the coil = short. If new spring and cleaning doesn't work, you will have to find the short. (but it should work)
To be honest, you would be better off just buying a regulated mod like Aegis Legend. If you drop that thing off a building it still might work. If not. contact geekvape, they will send you a new one. *yes, they even cover stupidity* (like dropping it in the bath tub) (btw.. they are fairly waterproof)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Sometimes even minor goop will cause that, too. Clean that thing in every nook and cranny you can find. Be sure to wipe down both ends of your battery, too.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*looks over his Keen mod* Got to concur with @bx10r & @gbalkam. The issue is likely to be a spring/s. @nadalama is on a good track as well.

Not that my chiming in matters. Be the first to tell you my opinion isn't worth the verbiage. Well, ...

Last edited:

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Since you already mentioned taking the mod apart as well as putting a custom isolator under each one of the two springs, logically I would assume that this also means that you are absolutely certain that you fully disassembled the entire button, and that, therefore, you also already cleaned every last part of it, meticulously all the way. Or maybe you skipped a part still nevertheless, like described in this old Reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronic_cigarette/comments/epp92f/_/fggl2ii

rottev

Member For 2 Years
Thank you all for you replies,
The mod is brand new ( a month old ) so unless the original springs are bad (they aren't bent or anything) i don't think the are the issue, also like i mentioned the issue persisted when I 3d printed pla parts and springs were definitely not conducting.

I do have an ultrasonic cleaner which I admit i never used on a mech (only on tanks, RDA and so on) so i will give it a shot and report back

rottev

Member For 2 Years
Update: So I broke down the mech and put all the parts into an ultrasonic cleaner as suggested about 6 cycles with soap and then another 5 with just water (2 hours worth) it came out cleaner than the day I got it, then after drying and handling with a towel only I used some braso on the 3 brass parts (the contact area for the top CC firing pin and the pin that connects to it when pressing the button and the brass ring that holds the peek and CC contact with the battery) all threads and button are super smooth, and I do think it does help a little but again once in a couple of presses it heats up enough to burn my finger so much it feels like i'm getting shocked.

All the springs and parts are brand new (mech is a month old) and don't even have a scratch on them, if anyone has another idea im game to try but for now I retired this mech and went back to the vindicator 21 (sadly no more 28-30mm attys)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
The only other things I can think of are a damaged battery wrap, or perhaps even a weakness in the metal that the tube is made of. OR a short in your RDA, maybe from coils not being tightened down enough, or coils being close enough to just barely touch the cap sometimes. I'm out of ideas after those.

If none of that helps and the mod is new, I'd give a call to the merchant who sold it to you. Surely there is something that can be done about a situation like this that occurred right out of the box.

rottev

Member For 2 Years
RDA works fine on other mechs with same build, stable 0.1 resistance on regulated mods, and it's happening with 5 different batteries 3 of them are quite new, like i said i have read more than one post saying there is a problem specifically with the SS version, I assume the vendor will do nothing but i will contact them, Wish kennedy was still in business so I could go for a 28 SS vindicator with a CC.

VU Sponsors