Become a Patron!

STINGRAY X from FastTech

Sharkespeare

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Short version scroll down to the (*****)

1782900-6.jpg

Long version:

Not sure where my love is for the stingrays comes from - perhaps being a marine biologist and my studies in sharks have influenced my better judgement, but whatever. Who cares right? These are beautiful mods and this version is far from an exception.

This is my 4th stingray (and my 3rd stingray clone). I loved the design when JD Tech announced the new version. Its advertised here on Vape Rev
. You can find the clone I bought here. The idea of a copper tube wrapped in a stainless outer shell seemed like a great idea and perfect for avoiding that "stale penny" smell on your hands. I was very excited to try out a better copper mod than the 256650 stingray I purchased elsewhere (which is good, but not great).

I purchased this from FT for $25.70 + free shipping (US) on July 11th and it arrived three weeks later on August 1st (due to two restocking notifications).

When it arrived, I received the basic unit in a white Stingray box with a Kepler logo. As opposed to the other stingrays I've purchased, this version was a bit lighter on the tubes. There are only two tubes (for 18500 and 18650 modes). I was happy this one came in a box, though instead of the loose packing of my last purchase. Despite the tubes, this package also included a matching drip tip and a brass top piece. The drip tip is a nice wide bore design. I really like it which I'll explain later.

The main tubes are awesome. Complete copper core surrounded by stainless steel. The engraving is well done and very noticeable. The edges to the engraving are distinct without being sharp.

The top cap is a really nice design. Marries the copper and SS in a cool quadrant design. The bottom switch is a nice change from previous. The throw is shorter and the magnets are fitted. This does present a problem, though. Buying replacement magnets is going to be a nightmare because there is no room for error. This bothers me, because these are the super fragile (supercalifragilisticexpialidocious) type that will break by simply making contact with each other. When I took the bottom cap apart to just take a look, one broke, but luckily cleanly and reparable. I admit I prefer the older version, but this is nice, too.

The brass piece had me flummoxed for longer than I have to admit. Not familiar with the piece I took a good hard look at it and noticed the threading. For about 10 seconds I thought this damn thing was an atomizer seat, but the outside threading made no sense. I decided it belonged in side the tubes and I realized the inside was a perfect 510 thread...so, I decided it must be some kind of pseudo-hybrid connector. Better put, it can replace the top cap and make a direct connection between the atomizer and the battery (reminds me of the "four-nine" connection type). I don't get why it was brass instead of copper, maybe its for strength or something, but it worked when I installed it. My issue with this connection is that the big holes in the brass piece could allow juice to seep into the battery chamber. I still don't know what the accessory holes are for...I guess venting (?) in case the battery vents but to be any good the atomizer would have to be off. My last opinion on this is that those accessory holes allow for installation and removal via something with two or three prongs. I used a pair of narrow tipped tweezers to put it in and take it out. Works fine. Would be nice if this device came with something to make it easier instead of searching for something that would work, but you can find something that will work in your home.

The threading on the tubes and caps are very good. Not buttery smooth, but pretty good (think margarine instead). One good thing to note, my brass stingray extension tubes fit perfectly on this, so you can make it work if you need more space (not that you should).

Let's get on with performance

I tried out this puppy (stingray offspring are indeed called "pups" so it fits) with a Sony VTC5 battery and a dual coil 4/5 wraps of 24g kanthal with readyXwick on an IGO-W atomizer with keg cap and the supplied drip tip. Testing juice is O'Kain's Custard from Savage Juice.

THIS THING LOOKS SEXY! The keg cap really matches with the drip tip. Not perfectly, but really nice to me (but everyone has an opinion, right?). I like the feel and the weight. Nice and solid without any problems. The magnets are strong enough to set it down without having to worry about firing. Nice device and production quality.

The vape - BY FAR the hardest hitting device in my collection. This thing absolutely crushes the competition. I took a nice long hit and it easily out vaped my brass stingray by about 30% (both with fully charged batts and the same juice/atomizer, etc.). If the brass stingray hits like a rocket, this one hits like a Saturn V rocket. Yes, it will take you to the moon and produces more vapor than a Cape Canaveral launch. I was massively impressed.

While I likely stand no chance in a national cloud competition, I could easily trounce the locals here with this device. If I'm not being obvious, this device rocks! (Or "rockets" if you don't like the change in metaphor.)

Short version:
Pros - Well put together, very sleek and beautiful design (still a clone), copper tube and switches make this perform as the best stingray mod I have, nice to have the hybrid mode if you want it, love the new switch with fitted magnets, performance is out of this world.

Cons - the magnets are extremely fragile and will be hard to replace unless you can find the exact (and I mean exact) size. Other than that no other cons.

Ultimately - From top to bottom, by far the best clone I have ever purchased. If this clone was any better, then the jedi in Star Wars could have ended the war years earlier (nerd reference - get over it).

Would I do it again? Yes. By far the best device I have purchased and for an incredibly low price. In the future I will test with other atties and such, but this is INSTANTLY MY GO-TO VAPE.

Rating - 6/5 Yes, its that outstanding and with no plastic parts this time, there is little need to worry about wear and tear.

My highest recommendation - especially for budget vapers like me. Save the cash, buy this and then buy good juice. Awesome.

Sharkespeare

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
IMG_1783.JPG
Sorry, here's the image of my device that didn't show in the review (image hosting sucks).

Also, sorry I don't "run the numbers"...I just think personal performance outweighs voltage drop and load numbers. There are plenty of other reviewers that can cover those details (which are important, but really don't give the average vaper much information unless they are engineers). ;)

Sharkespeare

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Quick addendum. Not only are the magnets extremely fragile, but they are a strange size for fitting properly. I have been able to make other magnets work, but it's not as good as the actual size that is supposed to fit in the device. From what I personally measured, you need 16mm (OD) x 11 mm (ID) x 1mm (thickness).

If anyone knows where to find these, please let me know. I am planning to attempt trimming a few slightly larger ones...I will let you know if it works. The plan is to clamp the larger magnets in something thicker and supportive and then re-drill the inner diameter and then sand the outer diameter. I don't hold out much hope this will work, but I'm going to give it a shot. Magnets are (luckily) cheap if bought online.

Slàinte

VU Sponsors