Stop Wasting People's Time!

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
There's a member who likes to PM in reply to many hardware threads in here. This person replied to two of my ads recently saying that they'd take everything, I sent my PayPal info and asked for shipping details, then no response for a week. For 24 hours while I waited for their reply I told other people that a deal was pending. I did sell my gear, but it was really annoying having someone PM saying they'd take it all and then ghost.

I see them replying to ads today and I'd bet a mod that they haven't bought jack.

You know who you are, I know that you've actually made a few deals here which is great, but stop replying to every ad if you truly don't intend to buy, you're just wasting people's time!

Last edited:

inswva

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Preach it. While I haven’t had the same experience here at VU, I certainly have elsewhere (*cough* Reddit *cough*). Tire kickers can and have ruined deals for me.

I understand not wanting to miss out on a deal but please be considerate of the seller and other potential buyers who may be in a position to actually consummate the deal.

Theboss

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I also want to thank the mods here who allow us to self police the forum to a certain degree and call out someone for jerking people around. I wasn't sure if my post would be removed or not, but it needed to be said. I don't always see eye to eye with all of the moderators here, but glad to be a part of a forum where posts like the one above aren't taken down.

Last edited:

Tornadoalleydeb

Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
We ALL know who it is and to THAT member, let me clue you in on a little something, we as sellers ALL talk to each other and watch out for each other. We are a tight community. Knock it the hell off or you will get called out and NO ONE is ever going to sell you anything or even reply to your messages

We had another one a year or so ago that did the same damn thing. I was starting to think it was the same person using a different ID, that had come back.

Last edited:

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
This is why in my sale threads I mention the option for deposit… it’s two fold.

First it eliminates the FOMO, the buyer can put 10% as a hold for a week, second it proves intent.

They end up not buying, no skin off my back and I keep the 10%… mostly this is around $10-$20 and I generally offer it to the next in line minus the deposit price, since its a wash anyhoo (100-10% (I made $10) sell for $90 to next)

I don’t respond to PMs unless they post interest in the sale thread… caveat being, they have a history here as a trusted trader.

Lastly, VU as a whole is self governing, but I sometimes feel it goes a tad far in the fraternity sense and sometimes it’s off putting.

If small things irk you via Internet forum especially new members (and old with low interaction) who lack decorum… I feel for you outside and in your day to day.

Had an apprentice years ago who would get so upset over small things… we’d be installing duct work and he would go to fasten a screw to the hanger strap (5/8 drive/14.4v Makita drill and 5/8 head self tapping screws) and when the screw would pop off the driver he would always scream bloody murder…”why does it alway pop off at the worst time like wtf, I’m struggling to hold this duct up and just effn screw in”

I’d laugh, cause every step they chose lead up to said frustration… feeling pressured cause your boss is there… body positioning, rushing beyond your safe capability, using a worn out (company supplies hex drivers by the truck load)… its just not worth the frustration, especially when they chose to feel the way they felt.

Anyhoo… enough rambling, time to make coffee and take Moo-Moo for a nice walk while it brews

4042164830b5620251d94878fd9a63cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
50   0   0

First it eliminates the FOMO, the buyer can put 10% as a hold for a week, second it proves intent.

They end up not buying, no skin off my back and I keep the 10%… mostly this is around $10-$20 and I generally offer it to the next in line minus the deposit price, since its a wash anyhoo (100-10% (I made $10) sell for $90 to next)

I don’t respond to PMs unless they post interest in the sale thread… caveat being, they have a history here as a trusted trader.

Lastly, VU as a whole is self governing, but I sometimes feel it goes a tad far in the fraternity sense and sometimes it’s off putting.

If small things irk you via Internet forum especially new members (and old with low interaction) who lack decorum… I feel for you outside and in your day to day.

Had an apprentice years ago who would get so upset over small things… we’d be installing duct work and he would go to fasten a screw to the hanger strap (5/8 drive/14.4v Makita drill and 5/8 head self tapping screws) and when the screw would pop off the driver he would always scream bloody murder…”why does it alway pop off at the worst time like wtf, I’m struggling to hold this duct up and just effn screw in”

I’d laugh, cause every step they chose lead up to said frustration… feeling pressured cause your boss is there… body positioning, rushing beyond your safe capability, using a worn out (company supplies hex drivers by the truck load)… its just not worth the frustration, especially when they chose to feel the way they felt.

Anyhoo… enough rambling, time to make coffee and take Moo-Moo for a nice walk while it brews

Beautiful fur-baby. <3

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
People do this shit all of the time to me on Reddit. They see a coil I made and "Want some". We go back and forth about their atomizers, power range, resistance, the whole nine. We go back and forth back and forth. I actually make the coils for them and then they ghost on me. I understand people change their mind but have the decency to let me know jeez. I love talking about coils and such but the whole chat ends up being for nothing. I didn't want to get into selling coils but the demand is there. I've made a few deals with good people but for the most part, the deal falls apart. Fucking leave me alone if you aren't serious lol 😆.

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
People do this shit all of the time to me on Reddit. They see a coil I made and "Want some". We go back and forth about their atomizers, power range, resistance, the whole nine. We go back and forth back and forth. I actually make the coils for them and then they ghost on me. I understand people change their mind but have the decency to let me know jeez. I love talking about coils and such but the whole chat ends up being for nothing. I didn't want to get into selling coils but the demand is there. I've made a few deals with good people but for the most part, the deal falls apart. Fucking leave me alone if you aren't serious lol .

Deposits!

10% up front non-refundable if they flake… applied to total purchase price when complete… 3 day purchase window.

yertil

Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There's a member who likes to PM in reply to many hardware threads in here. This person replied to two of my ads recently saying that they'd take everything, I sent my PayPal info and asked for shipping details, then no response for a week. For 24 hours while I waited for their reply I told other people that a deal was pending. I did sell my gear, but it was really annoying having someone PM saying they'd take it all and then ghost.

I see them replying to ads today and I'd bet a mod that they haven't bought jack.

You know who you are, I know that you've actually made a few deals here which is great, but stop replying to every ad if you truly don't intend to buy, you're just wasting people's time!

Well put , and it not just here it’s every platform it’s a shame … cause serious buyers lose as well as the sellers .

yertil

Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Rating - 100%
5   0   0

Wonder if this idea works on other platforms may start to do this . Thanks for idea don!

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Wonder if this idea works on other platforms may start to do this . Thanks for idea don!

I’ve sold a few items on Reddit long ago, but a majority of it here.

But the idea is actually from the old days of FleaBay selling… immediate deposits and payments in full within 72h… cause you would have these buyers win auctions and not pay… leaving the seller with auction costs, this was a way to make a few bucks and cover FleaBays charges.

Haven’t sold a thing in the Bay in years… last items were in 2004 when I sold my GSXR-750 and in 2007 when I sold a CRF450 and YZ250 and I had 10% deposits…

$10,000 street bike and $4500/$2300 dirt bikes 10% clip really reduces the flakes from purchasing since it requires the payment to be made before it closes the auction.

crazydmnd

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Oh this would totally piss me off, and I've had similar replies before but people usually will say something came up and sorry, which is fine - and not hard at all to do!

I think the last time I sold something on Ebay was my VA Variant Slim for a $300 loss only to find out Ebay had changed to taking like 10% cut straight off the top! Last time I ever sold anything there...bastards.

jslaughter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Wow, i saw this thread and had to read it all and i'm sad to see some sellers have had to experience being ghosted but i'm happy i've had no bad experiences so far on vu. It's been really the only place i buy and sell and all my transactions so far have been great. This forum is full of really good people and it's been a pleasure for me to deal with several.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I used to sell on Feebay alot. It's their fault I stopped. I still sell stuff through FB on occasion. I know folks work and have lives of their own. The ghosting has happened to me countless times. I usually give them 3 days. After 3 days, it ain't pending any more. What's worse is the jerking around some folks do before the sale ends. I blocked my share of assholes and then some.

Fortunately, my couple of selling experiences here have been pleasant. My one buying experience here went smooth as well. It sucks to see that some dickhead wants to make y'all miserable. Of course, y'all could pick on the sumbitch when he comes a knocking, since y'all seem to know who it is.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
As a buyer, first I know this is not directed at me. Second, I did feel compelled to speak.

Tire kickers can and have ruined deals for me.

I might tire kick or window shop in a thread. I do so openly to let other buyers know I'm interested. It also lets a seller know the same. If I find I don't want, or lack funds, I state that in thread as well. This lets everyone know they can go on with a sale. And I don't do it in all selling threads, merely ones I might be interested in.

That isn't what is being discussed though. I comprehend what is being discussed. Agree with the sellers complaining here. That is simply being shitty to others. That we can buy and sell gear here is a privilege for everyone. Keep up being shitty and I bet we all lose that privilege.

No, I got no real dog in the "fight". I'm just aware how life can go at times. Fifty years on Earth teaches a lot. P.S. As a buyer I appreciate sellers stating open to trade & or haggling, or they're firm on what's asked. I usually send a little more over what is asked. Not going to lose sleep over that either. Know folks offer to cover shipping. Besides that it's just a nice gesture for buddies here at VU. I expect nothing in return other than maybe a thank you, if even that. It's just me being me. :)

Last edited:

aerodan

Member For 3 Years
Reddit Exile
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I’ve often wondered, is there a plug in or external site that would allow a forum creator to enable a “buy it now” and a “Reserve It” button? So when someone wants to create a for sale listing, a small link is inserted with a price. The buyer clicks the tag and is redirected to (paypal or whatever) and they either buy, or put a deposit. Ideally it would be setup so that a small fraction of the transaction would go back to the forum for server fees etc, but that’s a whole other rathole.
Something really simple.

Actually, how about even an easier solution. Seller puts a PayPal.me (or similar) link for a deposit or full sale right in their ad! Then the forum doesn’t have any need to create extra code.

Personally, I never use Zelle, cash or any of the “money’s gone oh well!” services. I hate paypal and wish there were an alternative with some protection. Anyway, I’be had coffee and need to use the energy to go make money so I can spend it here on vape gear rather than make silly suggestions :)

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
I’ve often wondered, is there a plug in or external site that would allow a forum creator to enable a “buy it now” and a “Reserve It” button?
Yup. I've been saying this for quite a while now.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve often wondered, is there a plug in or external site that would allow a forum creator to enable a “buy it now” and a “Reserve It” button? So when someone wants to create a for sale listing, a small link is inserted with a price. The buyer clicks the tag and is redirected to (paypal or whatever) and they either buy, or put a deposit. Ideally it would be setup so that a small fraction of the transaction would go back to the forum for server fees etc, but that’s a whole other rathole.
Something really simple.

Actually, how about even an easier solution. Seller puts a PayPal.me (or similar) link for a deposit or full sale right in their ad! Then the forum doesn’t have any need to create extra code.

Personally, I never use Zelle, cash or any of the “money’s gone oh well!” services. I hate paypal and wish there were an alternative with some protection. Anyway, I’be had coffee and need to use the energy to go make money so I can spend it here on vape gear rather than make silly suggestions :)
Nice idea, but PayPal is a PITA. Venmo is run by the same company, albeit it is only for the USA, it is more user friendly.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Deposits!

10% up front non-refundable if they flake… applied to total purchase price when complete… 3 day purchase window.

I say keep it and sell it for the Original Price because I have had that selling Cars. I tell the person I will give them a Receipt for the Deposit but it is for 7 Days and NON REFUNDABLE. Make me wait a week to sell something you lose your deposit and I make a small fee. I Understand Vapers are a Close Great Group of people but any purchases I made I paid in hours of a reply to my offer and sometime minutes.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I say Name and Shame that person

Have not been part of a good tar and feathering in a while.

All kidding aside dropping the name of a time waster saves the next person the headache, even if it's done in the Mudpit

I was going to say OUT This Scammer~! You beat me to the Punch~!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It isn't SOLD until payment is received in FULL~!

First person to pay, gets it, that is how I work it with selling stuff. Promises are a dime a Dozen and if I take a deposit and get PAID IN FULL the Deposit get refunded.

There is an Old Saying................ You Snooze you Lose~!

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I say keep it and sell it for the Original Price because I have had that selling Cars. I tell the person I will give them a Receipt for the Deposit but it is for 7 Days and NON REFUNDABLE. Make me wait a week to sell something you lose your deposit and I make a small fee. I Understand Vapers are a Close Great Group of people but any purchases I made I paid in hours of a reply to my offer and sometime minutes.
Exactly!

If someone can't afford the stuff, they shouldn't bother contacting the seller. I don't play that game. Sure, I lose out at times because of it and it sucks, but that's life. When I do contact a seller, I am ready to pay. Not just here, but anywhere.

Why even bother with a deposit? 10% takes it off the market for a week, when someone else might be ready to buy it right away? That just ain't right.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Exactly!

If someone can't afford the stuff, they shouldn't bother contacting the seller. I don't play that game. Sure, I lose out at times because of it and it sucks, but that's life. When I do contact a seller, I am ready to pay. Not just here, but anywhere.

Why even bother with a deposit? 10% takes it off the market for a week, when someone else might be ready to buy it right away? That just ain't right.

There have been a couple of times that people held items for me, but I always tried to remember to tell them that if they had an opportunity to sell right away to someone else during that time, they should go ahead and do it. In my mind, a person is not a "buyer" if they don't have the money in hand, so it's unfair to the seller to expect them to hold for you and pass up on someone who is ready to pay. This is especially true if you know the seller is getting rid of things because they need the money for bills or something.

From one perspective this can be of benefit to the seller, especially if they've been lowering their prices. If I say, for example, "if you haven't sold this by Saturday, I'll take it," that lets them know that they don't need to keep dropping the price. I'm not necessarily asking them to hold the item for me, but I am telling them that they have a buyer in a few days. The only caveat is, if you make a promise like that, then you have to follow through.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
There have been a couple of times that people held items for me, but I always tried to remember to tell them that if they had an opportunity to sell right away to someone else during that time, they should go ahead and do it. In my mind, a person is not a "buyer" if they don't have the money in hand, so it's unfair to the seller to expect them to hold for you and pass up on someone who is ready to pay. This is especially true if you know the seller is getting rid of things because they need the money for bills or something.

From one perspective this can be of benefit to the seller, especially if they've been lowering their prices. If I say, for example, "if you haven't sold this by Saturday, I'll take it," that lets them know that they don't need to keep dropping the price. I'm not necessarily asking them to hold the item for me, but I am telling them that they have a buyer in a few days. The only caveat is, if you make a promise like that, then you have to follow through.

Perfectly said.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
any purchases I made I paid in hours of a reply to my offer and sometime minutes.

Likewise, usually pm the seller with shipping, & asking "a paypal link?" Then, paypal & let seller show me a tracking number. After that it's up to shipping / post.

When I do contact a seller, I am ready to pay. Not just here, but anywhere.

Yep, exactly.

If I say, for example, "if you haven't sold this by Saturday, I'll take it," that lets them know that they don't need to keep dropping the price. I'm not necessarily asking them to hold the item for me, but I am telling them that they have a buyer in a few days. The only caveat is, if you make a promise like that, then you have to follow through.

I've not done that yet. But yes, I concur with you on doing it that if need be. I've also not requested a hold. To me that is kind of disrespectful. The seller obviously wants to well, sell the item. You can at least be courteous enough to have funds ready to go.

Last edited:

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
There’s only been a few rare occasions that I haven’t immediately paid and sent confirmation of payment. On those rare occasions it was only until I got my paycheck at the end of the week. I did the same as Nada, if they got a buyer with immediate payment then they understood to go ahead and sell it. I always kept them in the know and as soon as my pay was deposited I confirmed availability and sent payment with confirmation sent. It is unconscionable to me why anyone would ghost or stiff someone. But the again, I’m old school. Your word is your bond.

CJ-3

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
negative feedback would solve the problem....
Not sure if that is an option in this case as no money or goods were exchanged. Opening someone to negative feedback for backing out on a deal is something available on another site (non vape related) I am a member of and it works. However all bad deals and backouts are made public knowledge on that site. If you don't name it publicly it does not count and of course the 'accused' is given a chance to explain their side of things.

On that site the unofficial rule is the member with the lower feedback score pays or ships first and every negative feedback also removes 10 positive feedback points you have from your overall score.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't think you can give feedback unless a purchase is made but correct me if I am wrong on this.
Think sellers can also give feedback on buyers as well. As an example my rating lists 4 positive sales. Not sold anything yet. Rather do trading, or PIF.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Ya, making handmade stuff without a deposit is rarely a good idea.
50% deposit.

I agree with this entirely, for things like coils (as @Just Frank mentioned) that are being custom-made. Builders use their supplies, their time, and their tools, and then get ghosted? Aw hell no. I'd be furious if someone did that to me, barring serious personal illness/accident/etc.

I would want at least enough of a deposit to cover the cost of materials and the wear and tear on tools. If the buyer doesn't trust the seller enough to give a deposit, then the buyer shouldn't be dealing with the seller in the first place.

We did have an occurrence where a number of buyers did lose deposits they had placed on orders of coils. That was a matter of serious illness, as far as we've been able to determine, but in the nearly four years I've been at VU, that is the only time I recall it happening.

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For me it's no deposits or no holding product unless I happen to know for a fact you ain't gonna flake.

When it comes to vape gear and other products like it, people change their minds rather quickly. Some dude gets into his head that the wants what he sees, then 2 days later he's sees something else he "likes more" and forgets the other thing. I got no patience fo dat.

First with the money gets it.

VU Sponsors