Become a Patron!

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Woodman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I need help making a strawberry Rhubarb Pie recipe...I recently started DIY...my favorite pie of all time is Strawberry Rhubarb...The Rhubarb I have is from Best Favor..I have Capella Sweet Strawberry..TFA strawberry ripe..How should I go about making a good pie crust base...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This would be my try at this...Hopefully this can help you with a starting point.
9% Rhubarb (your choice) Some people use this as standalone at 15%
5% Vanilla (your choice, I would use Madagascar)
5% CAPS Sweet Strawberry
3% - 7% CAPS Vanilla Custard (I prefer v1)

Johnny Matthews

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had the exact same idea, finally found some rhubarb flavoring now available from my usual supplier. The only one available is from Inawera, so I added to cart right away and should get it in by next Monday. Here is my plan of attack, feel free to adjust and let me know how it turns out.

Filling
TFA Ripe Strawberry 5%
INW Rhubarb 1.5 - 5% (will need to test this flavor when it comes in, but INW is pretty potent usually)

Crust
FA Cookie 1%
TFA Acetyl Pyrazine 0.5%
OR
TFA Pie Crust 1 - 1.5%

Topping (cause I love a lil' ice cream on top!)
TFA Vanilla Bean Ice Cream 3%

I'm leaning toward TFA's strawberry ripe because it has more of a cooked strawberry taste than most of the other strawberries out there, more realistic and not as bright. You could use another SB and throw in 0.5% FA Liquid Amber in there to "cook" it, but I'm out of amber so I'll have to do with what I got.

Hope that helps!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have you considered using FA apple pie for the crust? You really don't taste the apple in that one, just the crust. I have a rhubarb from German Flavors, just haven't used it yet. Let us know how the Inawera is.

Johnny Matthews

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Great idea, hadn't thought of FA's Apple Pie, even though I use it in a bunch of other recipes for a crust effect! Great flavor IMO.
I will keep you posted on the INW rhubarb Teresa :)

Woodman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the tips...Here what I put together for now...2% Best Flavor- Rhubarb..4% TFA- Strawberry Ripe..2% Capella- Apple Pie V2..1.5% FA- Cookie..1% TFA- Brown Sugar...0.5% FA- Meringue..0.5% FA- Vienna Cream..0.5% TFA- Acetyl Pyrazine...70VG/30PG 0 Nic...I'll report back after I let it steep a couple days...I definitely need to order a different rhubarb flavor

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for the tips...Here what I put together for now...2% Best Flavor- Rhubarb..4% TFA- Strawberry Ripe..2% Capella- Apple Pie V2..1.5% FA- Cookie..1% TFA- Brown Sugar...0.5% FA- Meringue..0.5% FA- Vienna Cream..0.5% TFA- Acetyl Pyrazine...70VG/30PG 0 Nic...I'll report back after I let it steep a couple days...I definitely need to order a different rhubarb flavor
I've only seen two others, the German Flavors I mentioned, and one by Nature's Flavors.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Woodman what's that inw rhubarb taste like. I used to loved my Grandma's Rhubarb Custard Pie. Is it tart/tangy? T have u tried the German flavors one yet?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Woodman what's that inw rhubarb taste like. I used to loved my Grandma's Rhubarb Custard Pie. Is it tart/tangy? T have u tried the German flavors one yet?
I still have the 2ml sample of rhubarb I got a few months ago, got it to try and modify a dessert recipe I saw called "Blubarb Pie" with rhubarb and blueberries, but haven't done it yet. I hate rhubarb to eat, but it sounded like a pretty good vape.

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
INW Rhubarb is very sharp and strong. I like it, very realistic rhubarb but definitely needs other stuff to tone it down. I'm working on a rhubarb pie at the moment. My mother is in her mid 70s (so may besenality) but she reckons orange goes well with rhubarb toning it down, so that is my next effort **potential disaster**

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My grandmother always used strawberry, but I refused to eat it anyway so who knows? Lol!

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mine used strawberry also. I would listen to your Mother. I have yet to order it. I was going to try it with FA custard due to its lemon taste. I also wonder what a hint of Fuji might do, like .25%, just to brighten it some. I do like the sound of Orange over strawberry as I am not a big strawberry fan. I bet it would sweeten it some and it actually sounds like a good combo.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rhubarb and pumpkin? o_O

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
According to the Bake It Right pairing chart, rhubarb goes well with Apple, Blackberry, Cherry, Cranberry, Lemon, Lime, Orange, Pear, Plum, Pumpkin, Raspberry, and Strawberry.

http://bakeitright.com/flavor-charts

Oo there you go “orange” hehe. I have already tried some mixes with strawberry as a vendor juice I bought over a year ago of a simple rhubarb/strawberry mix was ok. My mix didn’t really work (think it was shisha strawb and either tfa ripe and/or fa). INW rhubarb @ 1% was really strong over the strawberries. Id recommend starting @ .5% max, in fact prob half that. I think the recent mix I have steeping I tried orange and forest fruits. The INW rhubarb is very sharp alcohol like and also more celery than fruit tasting, isnt particularly juicy if that makes sense? It a potent and pretty accurate flavour, maybe too accurate. Only other rhubarb I have used was Chefs Choice Rhubarb (uk vendor) and that was the opposite really really weak, but very sweet and fruity. Almost like a rhubarbade type flavour. I gave up on that ages ago as like most chefs choice concentrates its just too weak, but one of the nicer tasting ones I tried of Chefs anyway.

PS Rhubarb n Pumpkin sure is a recipe…….a recipe for disaster

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Funnily enough I have only a day or so ago ordered that! I tried chefs choice when I started diy about 9 months ago and found some of them revolting, most of them weak and poor and a couple ok. The only one I really liked was jammy dodgems…which they no longer do it seems as just always out of stock! However a UK vendor has just released a jam roly poly and custard juice people on the fb group Im part of are raving about, and it is obviously a rip off of a recipe you can find on e-liquid recipes originally from vapemixingclub vaping with les. So I have bought it to make my own version and to try and make an arctic roll recipe too.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oo there you go “orange” hehe. I have already tried some mixes with strawberry as a vendor juice I bought over a year ago of a simple rhubarb/strawberry mix was ok. My mix didn’t really work (think it was shisha strawb and either tfa ripe and/or fa). INW rhubarb @ 1% was really strong over the strawberries. Id recommend starting @ .5% max, in fact prob half that. I think the recent mix I have steeping I tried orange and forest fruits. The INW rhubarb is very sharp alcohol like and also more celery than fruit tasting, isnt particularly juicy if that makes sense? It a potent and pretty accurate flavour, maybe too accurate. Only other rhubarb I have used was Chefs Choice Rhubarb (uk vendor) and that was the opposite really really weak, but very sweet and fruity. Almost like a rhubarbade type flavour. I gave up on that ages ago as like most chefs choice concentrates its just too weak, but one of the nicer tasting ones I tried of Chefs anyway.

PS Rhubarb n Pumpkin sure is a recipe…….a recipe for disaster
Well, I ordered it. Celery? Maybe some tomatoes, black pepper, vodka and wollah! Bloody Mary!

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Rhubarb and pumpkin? o_O

That sounds better than rhubarb and FA White Truffle !! :gaah:

In the local supermarkets in my area it is much more common to find rhubarb/strawberry pies for sale than just rhubarb alone.(Or...for that matter any other rhubarb fruit combo)

Ron
---
~The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in college was my blood alcohol content.~

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well, I ordered it. Celery? Maybe some tomatoes, black pepper, vodka and wollah! Bloody Mary!

I was probably sublimanally buggered by HIC saying rhubarb is just red celery in some other thread. I like it Daintee, it is accurate just very sharp, I always steep stuff for a a week or two anyway. I think you can makea good rhubarb pie from it, it’s a case of getting the balance right and deffo needs something(s) added to it I think to take the sharpness away and add some sweetness. I have found it frustrating so far but I did start @ 1 or 2% I think. If I was to comapre it to a FA flavour I would say blackberry as I found that tasted really nice but is so strong really difficult to work with (I gave up on it). INW rhubarb isnt as bad but a similar problem…..still the good thing is having to use it so sparingly it leaves room to up other flavours ;)

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was probably sublimanally buggered by HIC saying rhubarb is just red celery in some other thread. I like it Daintee, it is accurate just very sharp, I always steep stuff for a a week or two anyway. I think you can makea good rhubarb pie from it, it’s a case of getting the balance right and deffo needs something(s) added to it I think to take the sharpness away and add some sweetness. I have found it frustrating so far but I did start @ 1 or 2% I think. If I was to comapre it to a FA flavour I would say blackberry as I found that tasted really nice but is so strong really difficult to work with (I gave up on it). INW rhubarb isnt as bad but a similar problem…..still the good thing is having to use it so sparingly it leaves room to up other flavours ;)
Thanks for the insight. Let u know if I come up with a future mix. I was hoping the rhubarb is tart. I'm curios as to a small addition of it with a small amount of Nonna, a fair amount of FA custard....to sweeten it if I were to use a strawberry I would use caps sweet strawberry. I have a triple sec flavor from Top Vapor that is nice and tangy I want to try with it too.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my custard and rhubarb today! Yay!:vapemail:
I have to say that rhubarb is some STRONG smelling :poop:!

Time to research Rhubarb custard pie recipes.:stars2:

richardward77

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try classikool rhubarb off Amazon promise you won't be disappointed.simple rhubarb and custard that's really nice is 11%caps v1 custard
9%classikool rich rhubarb
2% tpa Bavarian cream good to vape after a week but at its best after about 6 weeks

Sent from my P022 using Tapatalk

Willbo

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Try classikool rhubarb off Amazon promise you won't be disappointed.simple rhubarb and custard that's really nice is 11%caps v1 custard
9%classikool rich rhubarb
2% tpa Bavarian cream good to vape after a week but at its best after about 6 weeks

Sent from my P022 using Tapatalk

that vhm or vhb username or something on eliquid recipes isnt it? Dont classikool supply vg/pg, sure there one of the popular suppliers of it (UK)

Woodman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The base recipe I settled on was 4% TFA Ripe Strawberry..2% Cap Strawberry Sweet..1.5% TFA Apple Pie...1.5% TFA Pie Crust...1% FA Cookie...1% INW Buscuit...0.5% INW Rhubarb...4 drops AP....70VG/30PG/3 Nic...I't a light smooth vape after a 3 day steep...I'm tweaking again...gonna try adding some Whipped cream or Vanilla Bean Ice Cream

Woodman

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
switched to FA - Apple Pie and added 2% FW - Whipped Cream...it's getting closer to what I'm after...any thoughts on how I can improve it are welcome

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
switched to FA - Apple Pie and added 2% FW - Whipped Cream...it's getting closer to what I'm after...any thoughts on how I can improve it are welcome
Yes, FA Apple pie is way better! Idk, I guess it depends on how it tastes to you now and what you are wanting. Tfa vbic is a good vanilla ice cream for an al a mode pie. If you are looking for a rhubarb strawberry custard pie you could add some Capella vanilla custard or FA custard. (Both very different in taste, but 1-2% of either would give you a nice custard, however many use Capella at higher %'s. The v2 doesn't need a long steep like the v1 does. Sometimes FA Apple pie can taste dry over .75%, but that biscuit may have helped that out along with the whipped cream. I've never tried tfa pie crust, but heard it was good.

VU Sponsors