Become a Patron!

strawberry shortcake 3-2-1 by lirruping

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've been messing around with this idea for a while and have a few versions. I'll post the latest first, also in order of my preference, starting with best first--any ingredient notes in [ ]. I'm thinking about a next batch fitting in fa coconut and hazelnut in fairly small amounts, say 2% coconut and 0.25% hazelnut. But to do that, I'll be taking some of the other ingredients down. (see below on what you can easily cut back on without changing the basic flavor)

strawberry shortcake v3 by lirruping
[contains baddies - D/A/AP]

3% fa strawberry
3% nf strawberry shortcake [this has almost no cake note, but good strawberry flavor]
2% tfa strawberry & cream
1% inw raspberry [can reduce to 0.5% if you don't want as much zap--it's a very zingy flavor]
3% nw birthday cake [can be omitted without a problem--cookie and yellow cake bring it]
1% fa cookie
2% yellow cake [almost definitely has baddies, but is central here]
0.5% fa whipped cream [absolutely has baddies - try fa fresh cream or vienna cream as an alt]

Not really done testing the above, but it smells and I *think* tastes the best of all. Maybe I've overdone it a little on the flavoring, and if you think so, try cutting each of the strawbs and the cake flavors down by 0.5 or even 1%--but leave fa cookie at 1%. FA Strawberry is very important here!

strawberry shortcake v2 by lirruping
4% tfa strawberries & cream
4% tfa strawberry
1% FA Whipped Cream
5% NW Birthday Cake
1% FA Meringue
1% FA Cookie

strawberry shortcake v1 by lirruping
5% tfa strawberries and cream
4 % caps sweet strawberry
4% TFA toasted marshmallow
1% FW yellow cake
3% nw birthday cake
[3/5ths% FA Whipped Cream]
0.25% fa cookie - 1 drop in 15 ml
0.25% AP - 1 drop in 15 ml

Last edited:

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
PS: Here is where I started, ages ago. I forgot about this one.

Strawberry Shortcake FAIL by lirruping
NF strawberry shortcake 8%
CAP sweet strawberry 5%
NW birthday cake 5%
FW yellow cake 3%
FA whipped cream 0.66%

OK/pretty good after a week, but too much unnecessary strawberry (13%). I diluted the whole thing by about 1/4th. The cap strawberry tastes bubblegummy in this context - not recommended.

BenjaTheNinja

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think you're cake flavoring is to low. Although i don't know how strong nf cake is. My cake base is fw- yellow cake 8%, cap cake batter 2%, fa cookie 2%

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
. My experience has been that too much cake/cream in relation to fruit obscures the fruit too much for my taste.

On my next batch, though, I'll take your advice and try bumping it up just a little to see how that goes. Thanks :)

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
NW birthday cake is like, of moderate strength, I'd say. Certainly less potent than cookie. Maybe comparable to yellow cake, in terms of flavor strength, but not as heavy.

Last edited:

BenjaTheNinja

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
. My experience has been that too much cake/cream in relation to fruit obscures the fruit too much for my taste.

On my next batch, though, I'll take your advice and try bumping it up just a little to see how that goes. Thanks :)
You're experience makes sence because I see the low percentages you use with TFA and CAP strawberry flavors. Most of the tfa, fw, and cap flavors are very low in concentration compaired to fa. It's okay to go over 20% total flavoring in a mix when you use some of these companies flavors. Try the cake base I gave you with 13% CAP sweet strawberry. I promise you will not be disappointed.

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You're experience makes sence because I see the low percentages you use with TFA and CAP strawberry flavors. Most of the tfa, fw, and cap flavors are very low in concentration compaired to fa. It's okay to go over 20% total flavoring in a mix when you use some of these companies flavors. Try the cake base I gave you with 13% CAP sweet strawberry. I promise you will not be disappointed.
You're suggesting 13% Cap Strawberry with 8% fw yellow cake, right? This seems comparable to the FAIL recipe

(Strawberry Shortcake FAIL by lirruping
CAP sweet strawberry 5%
NW birthday cake 5%
FW yellow cake 3%
FA whipped cream 0.66%)

which I felt was over-flavored in general, specifically with strawberry, candyish, and while not bad, still not like strawberry shortcake, the thing, at all.

I think I'll try out your cake base of

fw yellow cake 8%, cap cake batter 2%, fa cookie 2%.

I have an issue with cap cake batter. The issue is I want to like it, but don't. Maybe mixed in at 2% it won't hit me as so whelming, cloying.

BenjaTheNinja

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You're suggesting 13% Cap Strawberry with 8% fw yellow cake, right? This seems comparable to the FAIL recipe

(Strawberry Shortcake FAIL by lirruping
CAP sweet strawberry 5%
NW birthday cake 5%
FW yellow cake 3%
FA whipped cream 0.66%)

which I felt was over-flavored in general, specifically with strawberry, candyish, and while not bad, still not like strawberry shortcake, the thing, at all.

I think I'll try out your cake base of

fw yellow cake 8%, cap cake batter 2%, fa cookie 2%.

I have an issue with cap cake batter. The issue is I want to like it, but don't. Maybe mixed in at 2% it won't hit me as so whelming, cloying.
Taste is very subjective. You never know until you try though :)

lirruping

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
oh, and the strawberry shortcake flavor is from NF - Nature's Flavors! I'll change that too. Guess I got them mixed up :)

VU Sponsors