Become a Patron!

STUPID QUESTION TIME!

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Is it ok to mix freebase and salt? I heard that salt's first use was in 2012, but the company just added it as part of their recipe. Which I take to mean he mixed the two.

It's not even that I have a particular plan for a juice like that. I just want to know so I can try anything regardless of what I had in the tank/pod last.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Is it ok to mix freebase and salt? I heard that salt's first use was in 2012, but the company just added it as part of their recipe. Which I take to mean he mixed the two.

It's not even that I have a particular plan for a juice like that. I just want to know so I can try anything regardless of what I had in the tank/pod last.
I’m gonna say yes, but I’ve never done it myself, so I’m not sure? We’ll see who pops in to answer the question. :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Popped in, unable to offer answer. There's no stupid questions aside from, "why does my disposable vape quit after one use"? Have only ever used "freebase" juice here. What I'm led to understand is nicotine is nicotine, oranges are oranges in other terms.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Sorry I do not know what the answer to your question is about mixing freebase and salt.
Hopefully someone comes by that can help you.
Yours is not a stupid question-
I think the stupid questions here on the forum are the people asking for medical advice- I don't think any of us are Doctors here- and still not the place to diagnose anyone's medical issues.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't think any of us are Doctors here- and still not the place to diagnose anyone's medical issues.
Although with the way "doctors" are now, ... *chuckles*. But yes, I agree with your view. Medical advice ought to only be fielded by appropriate medical professionals.

Meanwhile, here's two competing articles from the same site. Would seem/seam that there's a ongoing debate as to weather, or not it can/should be done. Here's some more links via a search. Not browsed all of them.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Seems to me that if you mixed salts and freebase, what you'd end up with is all salts. By introducing whatever kind of acid was used to originally turn the freebase into salts, during manufacture, you would mix that acid that still exists in the salts with your freebase and turn it at least partially to salts.

I can't use salts, they make me sneeze. And the one bottle I did buy, I hated mixing with it because it just kills the flavor of juice.

I'm just theorizing about the mixing. Have never done it and probably never will, but I do know that nic salts are made by introducing certain kinds of acids into freebase nicotine. I bought some citric acid to try to make some at home once, but I never actually did it because I discovered how it kills flavor when you mix with it, and I had to almost double the amount of flavorings in my recipes in order to be able to taste them.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Popped in, unable to offer answer. There's no stupid questions aside from, "why does my disposable vape quit after one use"? Have only ever used "freebase" juice here. What I'm led to understand is nicotine is nicotine, oranges are oranges in other terms.
Nic Salt has immediate uptake. I'm 2 months a non-smoker now, and it's because of that effect. Freebase has no attachments to the molecule. No proteins or enzymes like when it's in the plant. These things are what makes nicotine do what it does for us in tobacco, at least in regard to the initial uptake. Nic salt is in a form that gives the same uptake effect as tobacco because of whatever molecular attachments are there.

It's also ph balanced and smoother which is why smaller clouds and higher nic is possible. I could not have quit with freebase. That immediacy was key. EVEN THOUGH now I can totally get along with just freebase when I choose. But I up the nic highly and do 12-15 watts. I personally don't find it to be harsh especially in 70/30. But that's another subject.

There truly is a difference but if you quit already with freebase then you might not be able to appreciate it. I was a heavy and long term smoker, quit in one day. Had previously tried freebase but didn't get anything from it.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Seems to me that if you mixed salts and freebase, what you'd end up with is all salts. By introducing whatever kind of acid was used to originally turn the freebase into salts, during manufacture, you would mix that acid that still exists in the salts with your freebase and turn it at least partially to salts.

I can't use salts, they make me sneeze. And the one bottle I did buy, I hated mixing with it because it just kills the flavor of juice.

I'm just theorizing about the mixing. Have never done it and probably never will, but I do know that nic salts are made by introducing certain kinds of acids into freebase nicotine. I bought some citric acid to try to make some at home once, but I never actually did it because I discovered how it kills flavor when you mix with it, and I had to almost double the amount of flavorings in my recipes in order to be able to taste them.
I had to look into it. I thought you were wrong. This is good thinking. Very interesting. I'll look into it more because I'm not certain that process would take place in the tank and not in a lab, but IDK.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Freebase has no attachments to the molecule. No proteins or enzymes like when it's in the plant. These things are what makes nicotine do what it does for us in tobacco, at least in regard to the initial uptake. Nic salt is in a form that gives the same uptake effect as tobacco because of whatever molecular attachments are there.
There truly is a difference but if you quit already with freebase then you might not be able to appreciate it. I was a heavy and long term smoker, quit in one day. Had previously tried freebase but didn't get anything from it.

Ah ha. That makes sense in my case then. It took me six months to a year to get over the "gee, I'd like a cigarette" feel. I quit after 35 plus years of half to pack and half a day using freebase. Add another 5 or so years for chewing or rubbing snuff. I still get a desire to rub snuff at times, but I don't.

Supernoob

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Ah ha. That makes sense in my case then. It took me six months to a year to get over the "gee, I'd like a cigarette" feel. I quit after 35 plus years of half to pack and half a day using freebase. Add another 5 or so years for chewing or rubbing snuff. I still get a desire to rub snuff at times, but I don't.
Yeah, IMO it's the magic pill. The formula to get people to quit as easy as possible. I'd also highly recommend to a new person to make sure their pod has airflow control, this is a must. In the beginning it was hard and choking, I was doing 5 and 6 watts at variable airflow. Now I'm enjoying 12-15 with no choking or anything. And then I'd also recommend that people get both a flavor and unflavored. Just to stay as armed as possible for the quit. God knows where I'd be if Vgod Strawberry was my first experience!! This juice makes me ill!

VU Sponsors