Become a Patron!

Sub-ohm flavor difference?

~dreamcatcher

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi: All have been so helpful to me in this forum! I'm wondering, as I've been weary of taking this leap, will I see a big FLAVOR difference in moving into subogming? After 2 and a half years + of vaping, I'm considering a sub-ohm set up. After using Aspire Mini tanks (1.8 ohm coils) both Nautilus and Triton Minis, will I see a notable increase in FLAVOR in moving to a sub-ohm set up???

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
For the most part yes due to these two major factors.
1) you'll be lowering you nic in juice by at least half, vaping 2X to 4X more juice than before, lower nic = less nic flavor and more juice profile flavor.
2) vaping 2X to 4X more juice in one hit can (not always, but can) = at least 2X more flavor

Other factors come into play like chamber size (smaller = more flavor) to too much airflow (way to much fresh airflow can = diluted or muted flavor)

So example, on say 12 mg normally in 1.8ohm tank at say 12watts (sweet spot on a Nautilus), more to say a subtank mini with a 0.5ohm coil at 24watts, 2X12=24mg but 2X6=12mg, a 0.2ohm Triton 2 at 48watts, 12X4=48mg, 6X4=24mg, 3X4=12mg

Really, it does boil down to math and a basic grasp of some physics to understand the balance between normal ohm and sub-ohm, HTH a bit more

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm assuming you mouth to lung. If you plan to continue vaping that way, a big chamber, big air, big coil setup will probably vape like crap when trying to mouth to lung. Those types of atomizers are primarily for direct lung vaping. I would suggest a mouth to lung rebuildable as your next step.

~dreamcatcher

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There is no way, hun, that I'd have the patience or no how to ever build coils, not ever...

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You can buy coils from a bunch of different experienced coil builder like squidood or m.terk. In our group, chef and raymo come to mind. Fairly inexpensive considering the coils can last months (or years) with proper maintenance. Or you can get something with coil heads, but imo best flavor comes from hand made coils.
For mouth to lung I wouldn't go too low, I'd say .5 is as low as I'd go with that along with something with a small chamber, tight airflow. Should get ridiculously crisp flavor that way.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

~dreamcatcher

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I kinda sorta understand the math the lower the ohm the higher the wattage you'd use... For better flavor, I don't know... usually i don't like a warm vape, so I'm thinking a .5 coil would perhaps work best. With the Subbox Nano, I'm a bit afraid of using the OCC coils after the original coils that come with the setup...as the leaking I hear about and the fact that they'll be fine before I get a new box here?

ynotjelly

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I see rta/rtda popping up everywhere and I'm wondering if I'm falling behind the times..I've never been one to try to attempt anything where I had to put much effort into vaping but constantly chasing flavors. Currently kanger mini .05coil 6nicotine juice

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Another suggestion is to do a search for coilheads using fused Clapton coils. MUCH better flavor than single wire or regular Clapton coils. I know they're out there, I just can't remember the names right now. Building and/or installing your own coils is not for everyone. Some people just want to pop in a coil and vape. That's where a decent F.C. coilhead would be good for you. 0.50Ω won't give you a real warm vape, but will definitely increase the flavor profile over what you're using now.

~dreamcatcher

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You're right! Not the patience nor concentration to learn to do it.... thanks for the 1 up..
I'll look around please hmul if you recall where you came across them. Not up for a warm vape and currently use Clapton 1.8 ohm on Triton Minis. I normally don't creap over 13 watts or I feel ill get a burnt taste and wear out my coils? Any leaking with the OCCs installed??? I may not even vape at a high enough wattage to keep .5 Clapton coils from possible spitting???? You are all so great! Sooo helpful!

You may want to check out the smok tanks. Many of them come with sub ohm coils. They're readily available and fairly affordable. I would stay away from the tfv4 though, terribly muted flavor, the big tfv8 seems to enjoy shorting out, but I've heard good things about the baby tfv8 and I personally still use one of the original tfv's they put out. Usually they'll come with an RBA deck so if you ever get adventurous and decide to start building your own coils, you're already set up.

~dreamcatcher

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If anything else flew, maybe ignore??? I don't like a warm vape...will I need to use really high wattage for the coils? Please please let me know if you recall where you came across them....
Thanks so much!
~shanna
You're right! Not the patience nor concentration to learn to do it.... thanks for the 1 up..
I'll look around please hmul if you recall where you came across them. Not up for a warm vape and currently use Clapton 1.8 ohm on Triton Minis. I normally don't creap over 13 watts or I feel ill get a burnt taste and wear out my coils? Any leaking with the OCCs installed??? I may not even vape at a high enough wattage to keep .5 Clapton coils from possible spitting???? You are all so great! Sooo helpful!

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Try CoilArt.com
They're a Chinese company, but they make many coilheads that are compatible with many sub-ohm tanks. Find the coils that seem to interest you, then match them to the tank that you would like to try.

~dreamcatcher

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If anything else flew, maybe ignore??? I don't like a warm vape...will I need to use really high wattage for the coils? Please please let me know if you recall where you came across them....
Thanks so much!
~shanna

VU Sponsors