Become a Patron!

Sub Ohm Vaping... where's the flavor?

doubleg99

Member For 4 Years
I have been cig free and vaping for over two years now. I can remember when Kanger came out with the first sub ohm tank, I snatched one up and when I got it I popped in a .5 ohm coil, put some juice in that I really liked and hit the fire button. The flavor was gone, it was as though the juice just vaporized completely and blasted the flavor out of a known favorite juice. After a few more tries I gave up and vaped the tank at 1.2 ohms. Then a friend of mine asked to make him a high vg juice as he had just got a dripper and wanted to try it out. I made him a 20/80vg caramel custard that I usually vaped at 40/60 and it tasted pretty good. He put some in the dripper running dual coils at .3 ohms, hit it at eighty watts, and it wasn't good, it was fantastic. I ran home, bought a velocity clone, hooked it up with two coils at .3 ohms, loaded up the juice, and again no flavor, it was like I was smoling veg juice. I gave up again after many tries. Recently at a local vape shop I was telling someone about my problem, and they told me I needed a mech mod, as the regulated heated up too fast and vaporized the juice. Should I try again, any truth to this?? Sorry for the novel, I tend to be long winded.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tanks/coils that I have tested that I have never had any issues getting amazing flavor from;
Aspire Cleito/0.2 coil @ about 60 watts any mod
Tobeco Super Tank/0.2 coil @ 50 watts any mod
Smok TFV4/TF-Q4 coil @ 78 watts any mod
Smok TFV8/V8-T8 or V8-Q4 coils on Hohm Wrecker G2 150 Watts 480°XXX FSK Temp Curve 65.0%
Horizon Tech Cerakoat/0.3 ClaptonX3 coil @ 45 watts any mod
Sense Herakles/0.6 coil @ 55 watts any mod
Sense Herakles Plus/0.4 or 0.6 @ 70 watts any mod
Uwell Crown/0.5 coil @ 53 any mod
Eleaf Melo III/0.9 cCell ceramic coil by Vaporesso @ 33 watts any mod
Stentorian Steam Engine by Wotofo/0.7 coil @ 55 watts any mod
CCI Triforce 30mm/0.2 coil @ 120 watts any mod or 0.1 (Ni200) coil Hohm Wrecker G2 @ 195 Watts 490°XXX FSK Temp Curve 50.0%
Vaporesso Target/0.9 cCell ceramic coil by Vaporesso @ 33 watts any mod
Uwell Rafale/0.2 SS (IF you remove the spit back tab) on Hohm Wrecker G2 540° @ 110 Watts

For me personally, these ALL produce great flavor and clouds.
I use each one on a regular basis.
Each time I think I won't find another tank that produces more flavor than the one I am using, someone comes out with another amazing flavor producing tank.
I hope that provides at least a little help.
If not, sorry, that's all the info I can provide at this time.

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
^^Great list.
Smok nano tank/ 0.3 micro-CLP2 coils @ 30 watts.
Great flavour.

The avocado 24 gives great flavour. Compared with my aromamizer supreme the avocado is much better in flavour.

savagebee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I will say that in my experience a mech mod tastes different. Possibly sue to the way it heats the coils. But to say you NEED one for flavor is just wrong. Just keep experimenting and you will find the right setuo

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have been cig free and vaping for over two years now. I can remember when Kanger came out with the first sub ohm tank, I snatched one up and when I got it I popped in a .5 ohm coil, put some juice in that I really liked and hit the fire button. The flavor was gone, it was as though the juice just vaporized completely and blasted the flavor out of a known favorite juice. After a few more tries I gave up and vaped the tank at 1.2 ohms. Then a friend of mine asked to make him a high vg juice as he had just got a dripper and wanted to try it out. I made him a 20/80vg caramel custard that I usually vaped at 40/60 and it tasted pretty good. He put some in the dripper running dual coils at .3 ohms, hit it at eighty watts, and it wasn't good, it was fantastic. I ran home, bought a velocity clone, hooked it up with two coils at .3 ohms, loaded up the juice, and again no flavor, it was like I was smoling veg juice. I gave up again after many tries. Recently at a local vape shop I was telling someone about my problem, and they told me I needed a mech mod, as the regulated heated up too fast and vaporized the juice. Should I try again, any truth to this?? Sorry for the novel, I tend to be long winded.

sub-ohming has never been a style of vaping flavor chasers used..it is a style of vaping cloud chasers use....sub-ohming with big attys allows you to throw in a big wick and big wicks suck up alot of juice. when you vaporizer a sponge full of juice you get alot of flavor because you are burning up alot of juice and threfore alot of flavorings..but you also are using a huge airflow and big airflow kills the flavor...also cotton is not the best wick for flavor it sucks up alot of flavorings, but the cotton mutes the flavor ..flavors don't pop, you don't get many of the layers and nuances of the flavor...between a cotton wick and a huge airflow your flavor is going to suffer.....simple flavors work best in that kind of set up.if you like complex flavors or if you have a good pallette it is not the best vape for you...not everyone has a good palette...taste is subjective, but the physical ability to discern taste isn't subjective...some people just have a better palette. that's why there are proffesional tasters.

doubleg99

Member For 4 Years
sub-ohming has never been a style of vaping flavor chasers used..it is a style of vaping cloud chasers use....sub-ohming with big attys allows you to throw in a big wick and big wicks suck up alot of juice. when you vaporizer a sponge full of juice you get alot of flavor because you are burning up alot of juice and threfore alot of flavorings..but you also are using a huge airflow and big airflow kills the flavor...also cotton is not the best wick for flavor it sucks up alot of flavorings, but the cotton mutes the flavor ..flavors don't pop, you don't get many of the layers and nuances of the flavor...between a cotton wick and a huge airflow your flavor is going to suffer.....simple flavors work best in that kind of set up.if you like complex flavors or if you have a good pallette it is not the best vape for you...not everyone has a good palette...taste is subjective, but the physical ability to discern taste isn't subjective...some people just have a better palette. that's why there are proffesional tasters.
Are you saying that people the sub ohm vape aren't looking for flavor?? I mean most people that use RDAs do nothing but rave about the flavor. I know that there also are many people that sub ohm strictly to get the biggest cloud, which personally I think is silly, but to each his own, however many people that sub ohm do so for the flavor. Personally I only able to experience that one time on someone else's RDA which was set at .3 ohms, and a juice that I vaped normally at 40/60, I made a bottle for him at 20/80 and the taste was phenomenal. I haven't been able to recreate it, but every few months I get a bug up my butt and try again.
On a related matter you mentioned that cotton mutes the flavors, what do you use that makes the flavors pop?
Thanks for your input.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Are you saying that people the sub ohm vape aren't looking for flavor?? I mean most people that use RDAs do nothing but rave about the flavor. I know that there also are many people that sub ohm strictly to get the biggest cloud, which personally I think is silly, but to each his own, however many people that sub ohm do so for the flavor. Personally I only able to experience that one time on someone else's RDA which was set at .3 ohms, and a juice that I vaped normally at 40/60, I made a bottle for him at 20/80 and the taste was phenomenal. I haven't been able to recreate it, but every few months I get a bug up my butt and try again.
On a related matter you mentioned that cotton mutes the flavors, what do you use that makes the flavors pop?
Thanks for your input.

there are some drippers that have real good flavor I have a drippers called the cascate that is very good a stnad by has been the origen drippers for flavor...there are drippers that have really targeted designing for flavor...so sub-ohming and flavor is not mutuall exclusive I think the airflows in low sub-ohming effects the loss of flavor more than anything else....compared to sub-ohm tanks yeah drippers as a rule probablly tend to have better flavor but then again there are some RTAs that are being brought to market that alot of people think give drippers a run for their money. there are alot of variables ...the atty, the build, the watts, the juice the wick...all play a role...
I personally am a flavor chaser primarily, and I use genisis atomizers with stainless steel wicks or porous ceramic wicks. and I vape between .7 to 1 ohms.I tend to like a draw slightly larger than stock airholes so MTL hits or restricted lung hits.

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm into both flavor & clouds. Never chased clouds, they're much too high. When I started vaping in 2013, I strictly wanted the best flavor. My first flavor set up was an authentic Kebo Russian 91% when it premiered after the Kayfun and a Provari Mini with blue LED with battery extension. Flavor was and still is very important for me, more so than clouds. I got into sub-ohming later, as my hobby and experimentation with vaping and coil building progressed. I'm not into the "flavorless" cloud comp my d*ck is bigger than yours type vaping, but instead trying to find the perfect "best flavor and thick plume" builds. In general, sub-ohming as broad as it is, doesn't necessarily kill flavor. It depends on too many factors; the ohms, what wattage, atomizer, etc. But when I did sub-ohm, I didn't build too low, usually around .3 to .6 was my favorite spot and still got great amazing flavor. I don't like hot AF burnt sock vapes. I remember my first sub-ohm experience, bought a Flawless Tugboat at a B&M near me, a standard reduced chambered 3 post RDA, I hand wrapped a dual .26 gauge micro coil on it, 6/7 wrap on a 3mm, center post build, and that changed everything. So much intense flavor and clouds, not too hot, perfectly warm, moist, dense, wonderful goodness at 40 watts. Hard to explain. I do agree that you can get different nuances in higher ohms with certain juices, absolutely agree, but claptons also tend to be built mainly in sub-ohm ranges (series claptons can be high ohms too) and those have been some of the best flavor builds I've had to date, IMO again. Remember it's all opinions. Depends on what you like and only you know what you like. That's what I've found out about vaping, it's not all about what others like, or what reviewer said what he thinks is best, is not necessarily always the best, it's about you. Old school of me to say but my Russian (like Nautilus) built at .6ohm to 1 ohm is still some of the best flavor some juices have different notes and my old Tugboat still hangs in there with the "best" flavor RDAs/RTAs that are out currently now. I could wrap one hell of a center post build, sideways sloped, vertical, etc. but damn, it's been a while. I don't build low ohm coils anymore. Right now, I build around .5ohm - 1ohm dual fused claptons on a 22mm RDA, series box mod. This is my adv everyday atm. Never got into the "sub ohm" tank craze ever, all that flavorless huge and top airflow big clouds crap does nothing for the juice I paid lots of money to enjoy the taste of.

cloudking666

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tanks/coils that I have tested that I have never had any issues getting amazing flavor from;
Aspire Cleito/0.2 coil @ about 60 watts any mod
Tobeco Super Tank/0.2 coil @ 50 watts any mod
Smok TFV4/TF-Q4 coil @ 78 watts any mod
Smok TFV8/V8-T8 or V8-Q4 coils on Hohm Wrecker G2 150 Watts 480°XXX FSK Temp Curve 65.0%
Horizon Tech Cerakoat/0.3 ClaptonX3 coil @ 45 watts any mod
Sense Herakles/0.6 coil @ 55 watts any mod
Sense Herakles Plus/0.4 or 0.6 @ 70 watts any mod
Uwell Crown/0.5 coil @ 53 any mod
Eleaf Melo III/0.9 cCell ceramic coil by Vaporesso @ 33 watts any mod
Stentorian Steam Engine by Wotofo/0.7 coil @ 55 watts any mod
CCI Triforce 30mm/0.2 coil @ 120 watts any mod or 0.1 (Ni200) coil Hohm Wrecker G2 @ 195 Watts 490°XXX FSK Temp Curve 50.0%
Vaporesso Target/0.9 cCell ceramic coil by Vaporesso @ 33 watts any mod
Uwell Rafale/0.2 SS (IF you remove the spit back tab) on Hohm Wrecker G2 540° @ 110 Watts

For me personally, these ALL produce great flavor and clouds.
I use each one on a regular basis.
Each time I think I won't find another tank that produces more flavor than the one I am using, someone comes out with another amazing flavor producing tank.
I hope that provides at least a little help.
If not, sorry, that's all the info I can provide at this time.
You said the Super Tank coils have great flavor, have you tried the Notch coils they make by Tobeco? They use the Notch style coils like in the Wismec Theorem. Flavor is great, they are a .3-.35 ohm resistance

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Goon is also 24mm and flavor tastes like a well made 22mm RDA. I'm a fan, but not all 24mm atomizers. Big coils (series) and big wicks take up space, plus it's low, not tall, which makes it less airier than other 24mm RDAs/Sub Ohm tanks, the huge build deck takes up a lot (maybe 30%ish) inside as well, all that constitutes to great flavor.

Last edited:

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You said the Super Tank coils have great flavor, have you tried the Notch coils they make by Tobeco? They use the Notch style coils like in the Wismec Theorem. Flavor is great, they are a .3-.35 ohm resistance

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I have not tried the notch coils yet but they are definitely on my list for next order now.
Thank you for the info.

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Kayfun Lite V2 (old school)

Mutation X v4! Dripper

Boreas rta....Dripper flavor OR clouds, 8ml tank. Not for the meek.(Its a size thang)

Avocado

cutevape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Kayfun Lite V2 (old school)

Mutation X v4! Dripper

Boreas rta....Dripper flavor OR clouds, 8ml tank. Not for the meek.(Its a size thang)

Avocado
ahh you might try mutation x v5 xl 24mm,it works great

LuTang

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i get more flavor out of my Limitless+ than i do out of my "flavor chaser" attys. (Pico RTA, Origen v3, Nextgen, k.loud+G). but the Limitless also produces massive clouds. so if you're not into that, keep that in mind.

Cosmic_Glaze

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nautilus mini was my first vaping experience. From there I went big. Rdas, sub ohm tanks, rtas, limitless plus ect. Just got a Kayfun 5. I am loving it more than all the other attys I have. Kinda went full circle back to the mtl. Flavor is great. I found that to get good flavor out of sub ohm tanks and drippers you are just ripping through juice to get what I've been experiencing now. Think I'm gonna go in this direction now. Gonna check out the Rose 3 next.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

You absolutely do not have to have a mech to get good flavor. A mech mod might heat up slower than a regulated mod or faster depending on the build you put on the mech or the power you set your regulated to.
It sounds like they wanted to sell you new hardware or they have no idea what they're talking about.

Maybe you just need to mess around with your power settings. Try a lower setting and work your way up.

I don't think you mentioned the mod you have but if it does temp control you might want to get some 26g ss316L wire and try that... actually, if you're not using 316L temp control or not you should get some.

If your buddies worked awesome, put his attomizer on your mod and set it to the same power level and see if you get the same results. If you do, ask him to build yours because it could be your coil building skills or coil placement in the atty or how you wicked it. There are more variables than just the type of atty so just because you got the same one as him doesn't mean you will get the same vape out of it.

whodat2112

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Best tank I have ever used for flavor, by leaps and bounds.

Innokin-Axiom-Review-1.jpg

Lotus Insane

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
(post deleted by poster due to extremely crappy answer)

Last edited:

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Current favorite build is a
Dual coil
Fused Clapton
2x26/34 N80 5 wraps 3.0 id at 70 watts
Ohming at .13ohms sitting inside my mini supreme RDTA!!!

The more you become advance in VAPING the more you will learn how to flavor chase, it doesn't matter what you use!!!
And that's why making ur own coils is the best option you have in flavor chasing
Clearomizers don't give you that option... You are basically at the mercy of the pre build coils!
Go start practicing and save money!

VAPE ON

VapeS1000r

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Current favorite build is a
Dual coil
Fused Clapton
2x26/34 N80 5 wraps 3.0 id at 70 watts
Ohming at .13ohms sitting inside my mini supreme RDTA!!!

The more you become advance in VAPING the more you will learn how to flavor chase, it doesn't matter what you use!!!
And that's why making ur own coils is the best option you have in flavor chasing
Clearomizers don't give you that option... You are basically at the mercy of the pre build coils!
Go start practicing and save money!

VAPE ON

Do elaborate

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You might try the Alleria, Boreas' little sister. Great flavor on any mod, I use mine in TC. Recently I started playing with the Dotmod Petri rta, not the cheapest but worth the money, has great flavor. Just make sure you have plenty of juice on hand.

TheRealSean

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The more advance you get in VAPING the more you can figure out what works for you
You can achieve this by making ur own coils..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont make my own coils but I dont buy premade. What you say is true well said.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I dont make my own coils but I dont buy premade. What you say is true well said.

Now a days, you can buy coils in different ohms and in different types, you will figure out what
Juice
Ohms
Mod
RDA
RTA
Works well for you
it's ur device, it's ur mod, it's ur RDA/RTA
Only you can tell if it's GOOD OR BAD...
I

TheRealSean

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Now a days, you can buy coils in different ohms and in different types, you will figure out what
Juice
Ohms
Mod
RDA
RTA
Works well for you
it's ur device, it's ur mod, it's ur RDA/RTA
Only you can tell if it's GOOD OR BAD...
I

There is alot of flexibility in vaping and options. I like cause I get boarded easy. Thats pretty much all I haven't done is start making coils. I know its not the only kind to make but not crazy about clapton wire. Dont want a bunch of hater-mail just like being honest. Iam strictly rta and rba dont drip subohm cant afford coils. People mite laugh my goto wire Ud triple twisted 28 and quadruple twisted 30 and cheap Japanese cotton.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is alot of flexibility in vaping and options. I like cause I get boarded easy. Thats pretty much all I haven't done is start making coils. I know its not the only kind to make but not crazy about clapton wire. Dont want a bunch of hater-mail just like being honest. Iam strictly rta and rba dont drip subohm cant afford coils. People mite laugh my goto wire Ud triple twisted 28 and quadruple twisted 30 and cheap Japanese cotton.

Dude, whatever works for you
I'm currently VAPING
Regular 26 g ss 9/10 wraps 3.0 ID ohming @ .36
50 watts 550F
And I'm dripping right now....
Whatever works bro, clpatons are not for everybody!

TheRealSean

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dude, whatever works for you
I'm currently VAPING
Regular 26 g ss 9/10 wraps 3.0 ID ohming @ .36
50 watts 550F
And I'm dripping right now....
Whatever works bro, clpatons are not for everybody!

Its the popping had messes v2 and tsunami 24 tried fused, mix twisted, alien clapton wires premade. I pride myself on wicking but I was getting busted up. Went up and down on wattage no help then got smacked in the eye. That was the last of that.

ej1024

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Its the popping had messes v2 and tsunami 24 tried fused, mix twisted, alien clapton wires premade. I pride myself on wicking but I was getting busted up. Went up and down on wattage no help then got smacked in the eye. That was the last of that.

Oh I know man, I have regular claptons on my limitless plus, the damn fucking thing explodes in my mouth lol!!
I have to blow out and INHALE so I can VAPE it with out shooting lol, I switched to a regular ss 10 wraps 24 g, SMOOTH LIKE A WHISTLE...
that's the flexibility you talking about!!

TheRealSean

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh I know man, I have regular claptons on my limitless plus, the damn fucking thing explodes in my mouth lol!!
I have to blow out and INHALE so I can VAPE it with out shooting lol, I switched to a regular ss 10 wraps 24 g, SMOOTH LIKE A WHISTLE...
that's the flexibility you talking about!!

Thats funny shit. I know its probably not good for you. Who knows but when you get a taste of spit back makes the vape that much better. Different strokes for different folks I just dont like flavor on rda. Coil tank is where its at (just my option) cant pay that money. So thats why rta rdta rba is my thing. I think anyone that vapes should get on this shit. Cool people smart people I lose track of time being on here. Just started messing around on here but been bouncing around vulive for awhile.

TheRealSean

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can't say much for flavor in sub tanks, but in RTAs good flavor comes from the right build for the right tank.
Yea it gets expensive trying out new subohm tanks. I got my eye on the herakles 25 mini. And it is all about your skills at building (I call it sticking and wivking).

VU Sponsors