Become a Patron!

SubTank / iTaste MVP 2.0 (11w) Question

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello All,

I just received my SubTank yesterday and am patiently awaiting the release of the iStick 50W at the end of the month. I noticed that the 1.2 ohm OCC is rated from 12 - 25 W. I connected the SubTank w/ the 1.2 ohm OCC to my iTaste MVP 11 watt and measured the resistance. To my surprise, the iTaste read it at 1.2 ohms.

Does this mean that I can use my current iTaste 11w for my Subtank? I know the the minimum wattage on this coil is supposed to be 12 watts, but will my iTaste actually fire the SubTank?

I'm really excited but wanted some professional input before I attempted.

BTW, this BABY LOOKS SWEET!!! Can't wait to try it out on some really wattage with the new iStick in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Ki||@

Pancho_Brown

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Well I'm far from a professional but the MVP will fire the 1.2 ohm coil with out a problem. I don't know if you'll get amazing vape the sub tank is suppose to have but you'll be able to vape it

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It'll fire it just fine, and you might even like the vape at 11 watts. I covered it in my review; vaping the 1.2 head at various wattages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Messing around with a dripper build yesterday at 1.1 ohm, I found that my MVP would fire it but barely, whereas when I put it on a mech mod the thing got red hot within a half a second. This at the same 3.7 volts.

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Messing around with a dripper build yesterday at 1.1 ohm, I found that my MVP would fire it but barely, whereas when I put it on a mech mod the thing got red hot within a half a second. This at the same 3.7 volts.
I bet if you threw an inline voltage tester on it; it's not getting the same voltage.

That said; not all 1.1 ohm builds are created equal. I can do a 1.1 ohm build with 26 gauge (and I do in my Lemo and Subtank) I can also do a 1.1 ohm build with 28 gauge, or even 30 gauge. They all ramp up differently; with the smallest wire being the fastest

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I bet if you threw an inline voltage tester on it; it's not getting the same voltage.

That said; not all 1.1 ohm builds are created equal. I can do a 1.1 ohm build with 26 gauge (and I do in my Lemo and Subtank) I can also do a 1.1 ohm build with 28 gauge, or even 30 gauge. They all ramp up differently; with the smallest wire being the fastest

Mine was 28 gauge dual coil. By the time I finished fiddling around with it it ended up being 0.8 ohm which of course the MVP wouldn't fire at all while the mech mod fired it like a charm.

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Mine was 28 gauge dual coil. By the time I finished fiddling around with it it ended up being 0.8 ohm which of course the MVP wouldn't fire at all while the mech mod fired it like a charm.
Dual coil at 28 gauge would be lucky to fire at 15 watts. I've tried it.

If you want to fire a dual coil build at low power; try using 32 gauge brother

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dual coil at 28 gauge would be lucky to fire at 15 watts. I've tried it.

If you want to fire a dual coil build at low power; try using 32 gauge brother

Thanks, but I'm not trying to do that. I'm just letting you know what was happening yesterday when I was messing around with what I'm proud to say was my first build on a RDA. The MVP would fire the 1.1 but just barely, some vapor would come off but the coils wouldn't even get red before the ten second shut off kicked in, where as at the same voltage the mech mod just fired it up red hot almost immediately.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've run the subtank at 10-11 watts on my xpro bt50 using the 1.2 ohm coils. It gives a great, tasty, kind of light vape! Should work on the mvp though you'll drain that battery pretty fast

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello All,

I just received my SubTank yesterday and am patiently awaiting the release of the iStick 50W at the end of the month. I noticed that the 1.2 ohm OCC is rated from 12 - 25 W. I connected the SubTank w/ the 1.2 ohm OCC to my iTaste MVP 11 watt and measured the resistance. To my surprise, the iTaste read it at 1.2 ohms.

Does this mean that I can use my current iTaste 11w for my Subtank? I know the the minimum wattage on this coil is supposed to be 12 watts, but will my iTaste actually fire the SubTank?

I'm really excited but wanted some professional input before I attempted.

BTW, this BABY LOOKS SWEET!!! Can't wait to try it out on some really wattage with the new iStick in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Ki||@

The 1.2 coil for the Subtank suggests output starting at 12 watts, this is suggested not definitive. I would suggest you start at 10 watts and see the results you get. If you're not getting a satisfying vape then simply wait until the i Stick 50 watt is released to power the Subtank. MVP is a low powered mod for this coil, you will need more flexibility with power which they i Stick will deliver on. Only a month away.:)

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It'll fire it just fine, and you might even like the vape at 11 watts. I covered it in my review; vaping the 1.2 head at various wattages

Wow, thanks for all of the super fast replies. I'm going to test it out using my favorite juice. I'll reply with results.

Thanks as always!
Ki||@

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow, thanks for all of the super fast replies. I'm going to test it out using my favorite juice. I'll reply with results.

Thanks as always!
Ki||@
The subtank is awesome all around, I still can't decide what I like better the 1.2 ohm 0.5 ohm or RBA mode. It'll only get better for ya once you can push a little more power :)

As a side note have you thought about putting in something like a 1.5 ohm single coil in the RBA? You could run that at 10 watts pretty comfortably. I haven't gone that high on the RBA yet but I was running a 1.2 ohm 28g single coil in mine and getting beautiful clouds and great flavor at lower wattage.

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As a side note have you thought about putting in something like a 1.5 ohm single coil in the RBA? You could run that at 10 watts pretty comfortably. I haven't gone that high on the RBA yet but I was running a 1.2 ohm 28g single coil in mine and getting beautiful clouds and great flavor at lower wattage.

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, I know nothing about how I would put a 1.5 ohm single coil into the RBA. My friend has a dripper and I've seen him build come coils, but he doesn't have a voltage / watt meter, so I wouldn't have any idea how to measure the resistance. I don't know if this is making any sense, I'm a noob to sub-ohm-ing.

Also, I just thought of this. I have a Vision Spinner 2 - will this thing power the tank as well?

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, I know nothing about how I would put a 1.5 ohm single coil into the RBA. My friend has a dripper and I've seen him build come coils, but he doesn't have a voltage / watt meter, so I wouldn't have any idea how to measure the resistance. I don't know if this is making any sense, I'm a noob to sub-ohm-ing.

Also, I just thought of this. I have a Vision Spinner 2 - will this thing power the tank as well?

A decent ohm meter is always a good investment :) I got mine from "Vipster Vapes" on eBay for $15 and had it in my hands in 2 days. Im pretty new to building coils and such myself but I was able to build on the RBA deck no problem - not that I have personal experience with other RBAs but comparing it to other videos and pictures it really seems to have one of the easiest RBA decks to build on. Be safe first but all you really need is a $5 roll of kanthal, the kit comes with cotton and that mini screwdriver is what I use for all my coils at the moment it's a perfect 2mm diameter. Again just a thought :) just one thing I really like about the subtank for newer vapers like us is all the options!

Not sure on the spinner but I'd lean to no.

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

No not the spinner at such low resistance and it would look ridiculous on it. I wouldn't worry about rushing into the RBA and building your coils, that all takes time, education and practice. For now, take things a step at a time. Get your i Stick 50 watt, then learn to adjust your wattage, get comfortable with the device, learn as much as you can about your mod. Then proceed to the next phase. It's a gradual process, no need to rush yourself. The turtle finishes the race.

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A decent ohm meter is always a good investment :) I got mine from "Vipster Vapes" on eBay for $15 and had it in my hands in 2 days. Im pretty new to building coils and such myself but I was able to build on the RBA deck no problem - not that I have personal experience with other RBAs but comparing it to other videos and pictures it really seems to have one of the easiest RBA decks to build on. Be safe first but all you really need is a $5 roll of kanthal, the kit comes with cotton and that mini screwdriver is what I use for all my coils at the moment it's a perfect 2mm diameter. Again just a thought :) just one thing I really like about the subtank for newer vapers like us is all the options!

Not sure on the spinner but I'd lean to no.

The Subtank is an excellent tank and great for newbies learning to build their own coils. What's important is not to rush into things fast, there's a learning curve involved and that takes time. Safety is of critical importance and especially true when dealing with sub ohms. You can seriously hurt yourself and destroy your device if you don't know what you're doing. Take it slow and learn as much as you can. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither was the Subtank. Vape long and vape strong.:cool:

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No not the spinner at such low resistance and it would look ridiculous on it. I wouldn't worry about rushing into the RBA and building your coils, that all takes time, education and practice. For now, take things a step at a time. Get your i Stick 50 watt, then learn to adjust your wattage, get comfortable with the device, learn as much as you can about your mod. Then proceed to the next phase. It's a gradual process, no need to rush yourself. The turtle finishes the race.

Alright everyone, so I started off at 9.0W and worked my way up to 11W. I'm getting more clouds than I have at 11w than I have been able to get with any of my other tanks (Nautilus Mini & Protank 3). The flavor is AMAZING!!! and the tank is HUGE!, it ate almost half of my 15ml bottle. I'm glad I have several hundred ml on the way from Yaeliq.

I am getting a cool hit at 11W. I can definitely tell that it is lacking @ 11 W and can't wait to try it on higher wattage in a few weeks. My friend has a mech mod so I'll test it out on that later today.

AS for the RBA, I ordered a pack of 5 of 1.2 ohm coils with my purchase, so I'll use those while I read up on the forums and watch videos on how to do the RBA stuff for the Subtank in the mean time. I'm all for being 100% safe with for sub-ohm vaping, that's part of the reason why I haven't bought a mech. and am waiting for the iStick 50, I don't want the shit blowing up in my face.

This tank is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! LOVE IT!!!

Thanks again for everyone's input, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME, especially for a noob like me. Have a good one and vape on!!!

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Alright everyone, so I started off at 9.0W and worked my way up to 11W. I'm getting more clouds than I have at 11w than I have been able to get with any of my other tanks (Nautilus Mini & Protank 3). The flavor is AMAZING!!! and the tank is HUGE!, it ate almost half of my 15ml bottle. I'm glad I have several hundred ml on the way from Yaeliq.

I am getting a cool hit at 11W. I can definitely tell that it is lacking @ 11 W and can't wait to try it on higher wattage in a few weeks. My friend has a mech mod so I'll test it out on that later today.

AS for the RBA, I ordered a pack of 5 of 1.2 ohm coils with my purchase, so I'll use those while I read up on the forums and watch videos on how to do the RBA stuff for the Subtank in the mean time. I'm all for being 100% safe with for sub-ohm vaping, that's part of the reason why I haven't bought a mech. and am waiting for the iStick 50, I don't want the shit blowing up in my face.

This tank is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! LOVE IT!!!

Thanks again for everyone's input, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME, especially for a noob like me. Have a good one and vape on!!!

When you get your i Stick 50 watt you will be in vape paradise and have plenty of power to experiment with. The sub ohm coils will drain your juice and battery much more rapidly, that is to be expected. You can always work with the 1.2 ohms if you choose, plenty of options with the Subtank and i Stick. Do let us know how you like your juice from Yaeliq as you feed the well.:)

Dissonance

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wait til you try the .5 head on a mech

Nemesis_amber_02_zpsd3da984e.jpg

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No not the spinner at such low resistance and it would look ridiculous on it.

I actually put the Subtank on my VS2 last night and sure enough, it fired it. It does look ridiculous with the massive Subtank on it, but I was surprised that it fired the ST.

Just forget about the wattage settings on the MVP2.0. 11w is nothing these days, and people seem to think that wattage adjustments are somehow special... as if using wattage is somehow better than using voltage... they are just two ways of setting the voltage applied to your coil. Here's what I mean... if you fire an 0.8ohm coil (the minimum the MVP2 will fire) at 11w you're running at ~3V... LAME! if you just switch over to the VDC mode and use 5V you are running the coil at just over 30Watts!!!! YES 30WATTS ON AN MVP2.0!!! Right? Am I missing something here? Unless the MVP2 is limiting voltage based on coil OHMS then 0.8ohm @ 5V should be using ~30W of power, right?

Last edited:

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
The beauty of a Regulated mod is that it will not let you vape higher then what is safe for the ohm coil you have attached.

The beauty of a Regulated mod is that it will not let you vape higher then what is safe for the ohm coil you have attached.
So what's the verdict on the MVP2.0? Let assume I'm running a 0.8ohm coil (which is the min at which the MVP2.0 will fire). If I use wattage mode I can do a max of 11W, which equates to ~3VDC with that coil. However, if I swith over to voltage mode and select 5VDC, and if it is indeed putting out 5VDC, that should equate to just over 30 watts.

Is the MVP2.0 limiting voltage EVEN IN VOLTAGE MODE to limit the wattage to 11W (it's max in wattage mode), or is it really running my 0.8ohm coil at 5VDC thus burning about 30 watts? I feel like I can tell a bit of a power increase using 5V vs 11W on this coil, however.... it doesn't feel like ~3X more power! I'm just curious if anyone has really tested this inline and knows the answer here!?!?

I don't know of an easy way to test my coils in-line... what methods do ya'll use? I have a nice meter, I just don't see how to short of having a friend help me to hold leads and wires hoping nothing budges and shorts out, haha. Is there a special fixture available that anyone knows of to go between the MOD and the TANK to do this easily?

And on another topic; I recommend you use a thin washer beterrn the Subtank and the MVP. I've noticed the Subtank can push the positive pin too deep and damage the isolation o-ring around the +pin in the MVP. I've had to fix mine twice before I caught on and started using a spacing washer. Just a little tip to anyone using the Subtank (and possibly other similar tanks, as the Subtank was my first non-eGo style tank). Hope this helps to save some people's MVP!

VU Sponsors