Become a Patron!

Subzero shorty mod in hybrid mode not hitting hard

Dunc23

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
image.jpg so I bought the subzero shorty mod(first mech mod and I'm fairly new to this rda rta stuff) and have the subzero 24 rda with juice magnet coils from pure coils at .37 ohm each so about .18 with dual coils running and I am hitting it and it isn't giving that hit where I feel like I need to let off the fire button because I got a full hit. I blow out a decent amount of smoke but doesn't give me that strong hit that everyone claims this thing is supposed to give you. I tried a Sony vtc4 and a lg hb4. I have it in hybrid mode am I doing something wrong. When I hit the fire button it is really quiet hissing sound unlike say my realeaux 2/3 that makes a loud gurgling noise when I fire it. I have to be doing something wrong please help. Grub screws are tight so I have a good connection

Last edited:

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Is it a clone? What're you used to vaping before this mod?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First, check the pin on the rda and make sure it is protruding out pretty far. Not all rda's are suitable for hybrid mods. If you have a mech with a basic 510 connection try it o.k. that. Also, have you put that rda on your Releaux to see what wattage it is vaping at. If you have to vape it at like 85+ watts, then it might be too big of a build for a single 18650 mech mod to handle really and it just may not have the power to push the build.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Dunc23

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First, check the pin on the rda and make sure it is protruding out pretty far. Not all rda's are suitable for hybrid mods. If you have a mech with a basic 510 connection try it o.k. that. Also, have you put that rda on your Releaux to see what wattage it is vaping at. If you have to vape it at like 85+ watts, then it might be too big of a build for a single 18650 mech mod to handle really and it just may not have the power to push the build.

I will try to put it on my realeaux and it's a subzero rda that was made for this mod and so I took the 510 protruding pin out and it does stick out pretty far but the hybrid pin is reverse the point on the pin screws up into the rda and the flat part connects right to the battery. Everyone says how hard hitting of a mod this is so I know there is something wrong. Thank u for responding all help is greatly appreciated

sacullen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

It's literally a hybrid, not DtB. Agree that the build just might not be suited for a mech, though.
OP, do you have any battery rattle? Are your batteries fully charged? Have you checked the actual resistance of the build or are you just using the listed numbers? The build looks a little sloppy, so are you sure you don't have hotspots? Tell us more about the coils (core/wrap).

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
View attachment 64939 so I bought the subzero shorty mod(first mech mod and I'm fairly new to this rda rta stuff) and have the subzero 24 rda with juice magnet coils from pure coils at .37 ohm each so about .18 with dual coils running and I am hitting it and it isn't giving that hit where I feel like I need to let off the fire button because I got a full hit. I blow out a decent amount of smoke but doesn't give me that strong hit that everyone claims this thing is supposed to give you. I tried a Sony vtc4 and a lg hb4. I have it in hybrid mode am I doing something wrong. When I hit the fire button it is really quiet hissing sound unlike say my realeaux 2/3 that makes a loud gurgling noise when I fire it. I have to be doing something wrong please help. Grub screws are tight so I have a good connection
These coils (Juice Magnet Coils) aren't suited for a single 18650 mech mod. You'd get better results running it on your Reuleaux 2/3, or a two 18650 series mech mod.

sacullen

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Amp draw has nothing to do with vapor production. He's already using the SOI RDA.

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That's a lot of mass to be using on a tube so yeah, it's going to take awhile to heat them up. Personally prefer simple roundwire builds on tubes (typically 6-7 wrap 22g n80 or 9-10 wrap 20g n80)

Dunc23

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's literally a hybrid, not DtB. Agree that the build just might not be suited for a mech, though.
OP, do you have any battery rattle? Are your batteries fully charged? Have you checked the actual resistance of the build or are you just using the listed numbers? The build looks a little sloppy, so are you sure you don't have hotspots? Tell us more about the coils (core/wrap).
Well I got them from pure coils aka the chef or something like that and they are supposed to be his juice magnet coils at .37 ohms and divide that by two but I had him condition the coils and wick them so I'm thinking I shouldn't have done that he refunded the price of the coils which were 29 for the pair and let me keep them. I don't know I'm going to try a pair of his alien coils that are really nice. I'm just so frustrated with shit going wrong I haven't touched the mod or rda since it happened I will update you and see what the resistance is on my realeaux 2/3 and change them out

Dunc23

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Amp draw has nothing to do with vapor production. He's already using the SOI RDA.
Should I try these .30 alien 7 wrap coils? Or something with simple roundwire like dude above mentioned? Everyone says how hard the shorty mod hits and I can't feel no vapor filling up my lungs regardless of how long it takes to heat up or how long I hold the button. I'm so disgusted with shit no working out

Dunc23

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Your running at 22.8 +/- amps with big ass coils, you should be getting serious clouds...but not with a single 18650 Don't know much about mage but I'd grab a subzero 22 or 24 rda and a parallel or series or box mod.

Not to be a dick but it's not smoke, it's "vapor" your exhaling.

Sent from a phone
Not to be a dick but my original post states I'm using the subzero 24rda

martnargh

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You won't get a vape comparable to what a realeaux can offer unless you learn a few things first...
Regulated mods are plug and play, mechanical mods or other unregulated have to have the build, the rda, the tube and the battery synchronized perfectly to get a good vaping experience out of them... it's a learning curve a lot of us learned a while back because back then using a mech was the only way to vape with power.
I find now that using a regulated then turning to mech will likely turn a lot of people off, especially if they don't understand how to work the coil mass, amperage and resistance in your favor.
If you're persistent on using specialty coils on a tube I recommend fused claptons or aliens (I've never vaped aliens so all I got is fused claptons) no thicker than 24g using low resistance material like n80 or ss.... don't wanna recommend too much more as the resistance nazis will get me.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

anen

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
image.jpg image.jpg
Fused Clapton 24/38 or parallel 24gauge n80 will do it. This is FC 24/38 in N80 2.5mm ID.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors