Suicide Squad: David Ayer Still Hopes His Director's Cut Gets a Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
David Ayer has expressed his desire to release his original cut of Suicide Squad, following the release of Zack Snyder's Justice League on HBO Max. In an interview with EW, Ayer reinforced the need for the [HASH=412]#ReleasetheAyerCut[/HASH] campaign by vocalizing how "amazing" his director's cut of the 2016 film was prior to the alleged involvement from the studio — after previously claiming that his "soulful drama was beaten into a comedy" by studio executives after the mixed reception of Batman v Superman and the blockbuster status of Deadpool. "I get it, it's a business," Ayer told EW, speaking on the subject again. "It's frustrating because I made a really heartfelt drama and it got ripped to pieces and they tried to turn it into Deadpool, which it just wasn't supposed to be. And then you take the hit, you're the captain of the ship, my name was on it. [Laughs] Even though it didn't represent what I actually made, I would take all the bullets and be a good soldier. I made an amazing movie. It's an amazing movie, it just scared the s*** out of the executives." [ignvideo url="https://www.ign.com/videos/2021/03/27/the-10-best-dceu-movie-heroes"] While Ayer indicated that he understood the reason for the studio taking a business-minded approach to his Suicide Squad cut, he noted that community-driven initiatives may be exactly what the industry needs in order to spark a change in the way that studios look at projects, perhaps opening up the potential for "different things, different versions, different assets" being shared with an audience. "I think the studios see now that there can be canon, there can be non-canon, the fans just want to touch it," Ayer explained. "They love the characters, they just want to spend more time with it. And people are way more sophisticated about how movies are made and want to be participants in the journey. There's room for different things, different versions, different assets being shared with the audience. I think it just helps strengthen the community." Ayer credited Warner Bros. for supporting Zack Snyder and "having the courage to explore" his version of Justice League after a legion of fans coalesced into an online collective that, ultimately, executives could not ignore, resulting, in part, with the studio giving them exactly what they demanded by announcing plans last year to move ahead with the Snyder cut of Justice League. [widget path="global/article/imagegallery" parameters="albumSlug=dc-extended-universe-every-upcoming-movie&captions=true"] Some have speculated that the four-hour director's cut of Justice League could pave the way for the Ayer cut, given the equally tumultuous postproduction history of that DC film. Ayer himself has spoken about the significant differences between his version of the film and the one released in theaters, including an alternate main villain, stronger ties to Justice League, and much more of Jared Leto's Joker. However, WarnerMedia Studios CEO Ann Sarnoff recently shot down any possibility of an "Ayer Cut" of 2016's Suicide Squad being greenlit, as the studio has now seemingly shifted its focus to the release of James Gunn's upcoming sequel, The Suicide Squad, which is just one of several major Warner Bros. films hitting theaters and HBO Max simultaneously this year, along with The Matrix 4 and Mortal Kombat. [poilib element="accentDivider"] Adele Ankers is a Freelance Entertainment Journalist. You can reach her on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors