Become a Patron!

Sweet Nutty Oak

Plonq

Member For 4 Years
Okay so I'm pretty new around here, and this is one of my first creations, and I think it's worth sharing. I wanted to use FA Oak Wood, and the only recipes I could find were tobaccos (not for me), and some clone that had heaps of flavours I didn't have.

Profile is pretty much the title - earthy, woody oak, accompanied by a smooth, creamy nuttiness. It says sweet, but that's in relation to oak - it's not overly sweet. However, if it is too sweet, you can simply lower the percentage of Maple Syrup.

4.00% - FA Oak Wood
1.00% - FA Torrone
1.00% - FA Almond
0.75% - FA Vanilla Bourbon (I'm sure other vanillas would work too, but haven't tried)
0.75% - FA Maple Syrup

Good shake and vape, but oak comes through more after a few days.

Notes:
I wanted the oak to really be prominent, and since it's a mild flavour it's up at 4.5%. The Torrone provides nuttiness, creaminess and sweetness. Almond of course is delicious, and helps with the nutty. Maple syrup provides sweetness, and I just thought it fitted here. Vanilla, because who doesn't like vanilla?

I hope you like it! I would love some feedback, as I haven't been at this very long.

Last edited:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I actually have all those flavors... I'll give it a shot my next mixing session.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Mixed this up yesterday and vaped it this morning. Sweet nutty goodness! I'm really enjoying this. Not really tasting the maple or the oak yet. I think I'll let it sit a few days and taste it again. I had copy pasted this to my recipe to try file before your edit so I mixed it with the 4.5% Oakwood. I'll see what happens in a few days. Good job Plonk!

Plonq

Member For 4 Years
Mixed this up yesterday and vaped it this morning. Sweet nutty goodness! I'm really enjoying this. Not really tasting the maple or the oak yet. I think I'll let it sit a few days and taste it again. I had copy pasted this to my recipe to try file before your edit so I mixed it with the 4.5% Oakwood. I'll see what happens in a few days. Good job Plonk!

Thanks! Yeah the maple isn't prominent, it's mainly there for sweetness. I'm surprised you can't taste the oak, but I believe you will after a couple of days. Keep in mind it's a subtle flavour - you might be tasting it thinking it's just the other stuff. Think of trees while exhaling and it might click :)
I'm glad you like it! That proves I'm not going crazy!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
@Plonq I revisited it today and oh yeah the oak is there. For my palate anyway, this just needed some steep. Pretty tasty, I will definitely make it again!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I don't think so, but you have mix to suit your taste. The whole DIY thing is you get to make what tastes good to you, if someone else likes your recipe then that's gravy. :cool: I'm still coming off vendor juices and letting my tongue learn the fact that less can be more...

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay so I'm pretty new around here... =snipped=

Plonq, I've had this recipe bookmarked for a while now. Big fan of Oakwood, I use it in a ton of my tobacco and some fruit mixes, and this one sounds awesome. I've always been one or two flavors shy of being able to make it. Today, I changed that - a sliver over a ten spot at ecigexpress and I've got the missing ingredients on the way. I look forward to mixing this, and will post my thoughts when I do.

(side note: I love how, with less than the cost of a single 15ml bottle of juice, I can come away with enough flavorings for hundreds of mls of juice, just gets me every time.)

Plonq

Member For 4 Years
Plonq, I've had this recipe bookmarked for a while now. Big fan of Oakwood, I use it in a ton of my tobacco and some fruit mixes, and this one sounds awesome. I've always been one or two flavors shy of being able to make it. Today, I changed that - a sliver over a ten spot at ecigexpress and I've got the missing ingredients on the way. I look forward to mixing this, and will post my thoughts when I do.

(side note: I love how, with less than the cost of a single 15ml bottle of juice, I can come away with enough flavorings for hundreds of mls of juice, just gets me every time.)

I hope you like it! Note that in hindsight, I think 4% might still be too much. My batch went bad after a while. If you do a taster though, use 4% and try it straight away. For a bigger batch, I would use 3%.

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alrighty - so I got the missing flavorings in the mail last night, and went on to whip up a batch with the quickness. I started out with a 6ml tester, using the exact ratios provided. Now, I'm a pretty big fan of Oakwood - like I said before, I've used it in a ton of recipes but I've never tried it with anything on the "sweet" end of the spectrum. Cracking open Maple Syrup, I knew this was going to be over there on that side. My gut instinct told me "too sweet, put the cap back on that right now burley." I pushed past that hesitation. And Torrone? Where has that been all my (mixing) life?! Cool - so I mixed up the tester and dripped a bit to get the initial taste test rolling. Slightly musky, slightly nutty, sweet - but not too sweet. After going through roughly half of the tester bottle, really taking in the flavor combo, I knew pretty quickly that I'd need to mix up a bigger batch. Yum!

With the bigger batch, I toned down the Oakwood ever-so-slightly to 3.5% and split the percentage subtracted between Vanilla Bourbon (1%) and Almond (1.25%) - I think this matches my palate a little more on-target - you know how it goes, everything in this hobby is subjective.

But! The combo of these flavors is amazingly good. Good enough that I've been vaping it non-stop since I whipped out the tester bottle. It might be a little too early to say for sure (I've got another 6ml made up of the original recipe that is going in the drawer for the two-week sleep 'n steep) but I think this recipe just found its way into my ADV rotation. It hits all the marks I like in a non-fruity vape - not sickly sweet, not too nutty, not complete earthen musk overload. There's even almost a smidge of saltiness to it (I'm looking at the Torrone for the cause of that note) that's playing oh-so-nicely with it's friends. Maple - wow, I had my doubts initially when I cracked that bottle open and took a whiff - but it adds that perfect maple hint and sweetens it up right on the mark with the amount at .75%. I don't detect the vanilla bourbon too much, but that means it's doing it's thing and working the way it's intended, so no complaints there. (Vanilla Bourbon finds it's way into my mixes quite often, so that was kind of a "gimme" addition that I knew would work well in there - kudos)

This recipe goes so-so-so well with my morning pot of coffee. It's slightly reminiscent of a house-juice I once picked up from a vape shop near me a few years ago that had a 'breakfast blend,' which was alright, but far too sweet to continue vaping continuously. I recognize, now, that there was probably too much Maple in it for my tastes (and lord knows what else, I'm sure) - that's the note that shines through with this recipe each and every time I pull off it without it being too overpowering. It's there, it's noticeable, but it's not distracting or off-putting. It acts like a part of the team, per se, rather than the Quarterback. I like that. A lot.

Good, good stuff. Thank you for sharing it - you've got a fan over here! Don't mind me, I've just got a tank running low and I need to top it back off before I head out and start the day officially. This is cruisin' with me today. And probably tomorrow.

Plonq

Member For 4 Years
Alrighty - so I got the missing flavorings in the mail last night, and went on to whip up a batch with the quickness. I started out with a 6ml tester, using the exact ratios provided. Now, I'm a pretty big fan of Oakwood - like I said before, I've used it in a ton of recipes but I've never tried it with anything on the "sweet" end of the spectrum. Cracking open Maple Syrup, I knew this was going to be over there on that side. My gut instinct told me "too sweet, put the cap back on that right now burley." I pushed past that hesitation. And Torrone? Where has that been all my (mixing) life?! Cool - so I mixed up the tester and dripped a bit to get the initial taste test rolling. Slightly musky, slightly nutty, sweet - but not too sweet. After going through roughly half of the tester bottle, really taking in the flavor combo, I knew pretty quickly that I'd need to mix up a bigger batch. Yum!

With the bigger batch, I toned down the Oakwood ever-so-slightly to 3.5% and split the percentage subtracted between Vanilla Bourbon (1%) and Almond (1.25%) - I think this matches my palate a little more on-target - you know how it goes, everything in this hobby is subjective.

But! The combo of these flavors is amazingly good. Good enough that I've been vaping it non-stop since I whipped out the tester bottle. It might be a little too early to say for sure (I've got another 6ml made up of the original recipe that is going in the drawer for the two-week sleep 'n steep) but I think this recipe just found its way into my ADV rotation. It hits all the marks I like in a non-fruity vape - not sickly sweet, not too nutty, not complete earthen musk overload. There's even almost a smidge of saltiness to it (I'm looking at the Torrone for the cause of that note) that's playing oh-so-nicely with it's friends. Maple - wow, I had my doubts initially when I cracked that bottle open and took a whiff - but it adds that perfect maple hint and sweetens it up right on the mark with the amount at .75%. I don't detect the vanilla bourbon too much, but that means it's doing it's thing and working the way it's intended, so no complaints there. (Vanilla Bourbon finds it's way into my mixes quite often, so that was kind of a "gimme" addition that I knew would work well in there - kudos)

This recipe goes so-so-so well with my morning pot of coffee. It's slightly reminiscent of a house-juice I once picked up from a vape shop near me a few years ago that had a 'breakfast blend,' which was alright, but far too sweet to continue vaping continuously. I recognize, now, that there was probably too much Maple in it for my tastes (and lord knows what else, I'm sure) - that's the note that shines through with this recipe each and every time I pull off it without it being too overpowering. It's there, it's noticeable, but it's not distracting or off-putting. It acts like a part of the team, per se, rather than the Quarterback. I like that. A lot.

Good, good stuff. Thank you for sharing it - you've got a fan over here! Don't mind me, I've just got a tank running low and I need to top it back off before I head out and start the day officially. This is cruisin' with me today. And probably tomorrow.

That's great! Really glad you like it, I was worried! Will be interested what you think of the steeped version. As I said, for me it went bad, but I can't really describe it (can't try it again now). It could have just been that batch though.

Also thanks for your notes. I think many people think that way about torrone!

VU Sponsors