Become a Patron!

Testing mixes

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a question. I have been DIYing since joining VU and love it. I have tried and failed to mix some of my own ideas, they never seem to work out. I have a question and I'm going to try and explain it but I'm not sure if it will come out right....here goes: Okay...so when you are making a small tester from scratch and add a little here and there to the mix and the ratios are changing while you add, what are you doing? Do you just plug it in the calculator...a little here and a little there. Or, is there a science behind it. I make up 10 ml batches .....say 4% flavor = .4 ml. Then I add my vg/pg to it and vape but don't care for it. I add maybe .1 or .5 ml more and now the ratios change and you now have 10.5 ml. I am just not getting it. Do you make up separate batches for each. Basically I would love to know how you do it. And also my coil making skills for my rdas are null until I get glasses (it won't be any time soon because I am a broke girl, and $800 don't come easily for multi-layered focal glasses for an extreme asigmatism )so I basically am ordering them through ebay already pre-made...I'm waiting and waiting and waiting....coming from Hong Kong and all....is there a place anybody can recommend?

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First, might want to mix and let it sit a couple days before adjusting it. The flavors change, your tastebuds change, your expectations change.

Also, depends what brand of flavoring. For some, 3% might be too much flavoring fro the start.

I personally don't worry about the little bit of added volume in your test batch. If you have to make a 10 ml into a 10.5 with flavorings, it should be too close to notice when you make your bigger batch.

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you :) It's hard testing everything without my rda. I have a feeling that I will be waiting a long time for the coils to come in ugh!:wait:

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could just try to taste a drop on your finger. I find when it tastes lightly of those flavors it is close. If it tastes strong or full flavored i find it is too strong to vape.

Not exact science but better than nothing.

Could also use your tank as a dripper depending on the tank. But can be a PITA too.

fratervapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
And also my coil making skills for my rdas are null until I get glasses (it won't be any time soon because I am a broke girl, and $800 don't come easily for multi-layered focal glasses for an extreme asigmatism )

Tangential to your post, but you can mailorder prescription glasses pretty cheap from China. I use Zenni Optical. Here's a post about someone using them for astigmatic prescription.

When testing DIY I start with the starting written down then tweak and record the change. My tweaking is of the "maybe 50% more of this" style.

[Edited to correct the name of Zenni]

Last edited:

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tangential to your post, but you can mailorder prescription glasses pretty cheap from China. I use Zunni Optical. Here's a post about someone using them for astigmatic prescription.

When testing DIY I start with the starting written down then tweak and record the change. My tweaking is of the "maybe 50% more of this" style.
That is a really good site!! Thanks for sharing. I just booked my appointment for an eye exam for this afternoon. I will be using this site soon. You are a life saver!

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Knowing, how many drops of a certain flavor, result in a certain weight, I take notes, of by how much I have incremented a flavor. Usually, I go 0.25% at a time (mainly using FA). At the end of tweaking, I revise the recipe accordingly.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I test my DIY recipes after a couple of hours because I use a frothing mixer and I heat the bottles to around 135 degrees so it speeds up the resting period. After I test a batch if it needs I will try to tweak it in a smaller batch size anywhere from 2ML to a 10 ML using drops. I make changes to my recipe in the calculator only after I has successfully tweaked one. I will make a correction or note on the paper copy and I have used the calculator to figureout just how many drops to add for a percentage increase. Your own procedures may vary but whatever works for you is the right way!

Good Luck! And keep us updated on how you made out and how you went about it! :ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice::ejuice:

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tangential to your post, but you can mailorder prescription glasses pretty cheap from China. I use Zenni Optical. Here's a post about someone using them for astigmatic prescription.

[Edited to correct the name of Zenni]
I am forever grateful to you! My glasses cost me $50 and eye exam was $99. You saved me approx $650. That is so awesome! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
Just waiting on the mail now :)

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am forever grateful to you! My glasses cost me $50 and eye exam was $99. You saved me approx $650.

The reason they would have been 800 bucks is Luxottica controls 80% of the major brands in the $28 billion global eyeglasses industry. They set those high prices. There was a 60 Minute story about their monopoly...

I've made 2 orders from Zenni and could not be happier. The hardest part was trying to determine which glasses I wanted. ;)

Ron
---
"My grandmother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks right out of the bottle."- Henny Youngman

kimsmm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The reason they would have been 800 bucks is Luxottica controls 80% of the major brands in the $28 billion global eyeglasses industry. They set those high prices. There was a 60 Minute story about their monopoly...

I've made 2 orders from Zenni and could not be happier. The hardest part was trying to determine which glasses I wanted. ;)

Ron
---
"My grandmother is over eighty and still doesn't need glasses. Drinks right out of the bottle."- Henny Youngman
IKR!! With those prices I will be sure to order more soon! I'm so glad you shared :bingo:

VU Sponsors