The Batman Director Matt Reeves Would Feel 'Lost' Helming a Marvel Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
The Batman director Matt Reeves said he would feel "lost" at the helm of a Marvel movie.

Speaking to Variety, Reeves said he wouldn't be able to work with a franchise where so many elements were already established and interconnected.

He said: "I have such respect for [Marvel Studios president] Kevin Feige and also for the [Marvel] filmmakers, but to be honest with you, I just don’t know how I would make my way through that.

"There has to be some level of discovery for me, where I have some freedom to find my way. If I have to come into something that’s already set too firmly, then I think I would get lost. And I don’t think they would be happy with me either."

That's perhaps what drew him to The Batman, a solo film with no ties to the wider DC universe. Reeves said he was reluctant to get into superhero films in the first place but knows that's where the industry is heading.

He said, "The industry has changed so dramatically that if you’re going to make a movie that’s going to be in movie theatres, you’re not making anything that isn’t recognizable IP."

“That’s just where the audience has gone. I’m not saying that I’m happy about that. I’m just saying it is what it is."

Good for the industry or not, Reeves has certainly found critical success with The Batman. In our 10/10 review, IGN said the "violent, thrilling, darkly beautiful take on The Batman more than justifies its place in the franchise’s canon."

Ryan Dinsdale is an IGN freelancer who occasionally remembers to tweet @thelastdinsdale.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors