The Batman Is Also an Origin Story for Zoë Kravitz' Catwoman

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
While Robert Pattinson’s Batman is well into his second year as a superhero in The Batman, the movie will act as an origin story for a different character – Zoë Kravitz' Catwoman.

During an interview with Empire Magazine, actress Zoë Kravitz revealed that The Batman will also serve as an origin story for her new take on Selina Kyle.

“This is an origin story for Selina,” she said. “So, it’s the beginning of her figuring out who she is, beyond just someone trying to survive. I think there’s a lot of space to grow and I think we are watching her become what I’m sure will be the femme fatale.”

The Batman stars Robert Pattinson as a young Bruce Wayne, but crucially it's not an origin story but rather a 'Year Two' story for Batman. Kravitz stars alongside Pattinson as Selina Kyle, who'll become Catwoman by the end of the movie.

Kravitz worked with stunt coordinator Rob Alonzo to add to her physical training, studying nature footage of big cats to mimic their feline movements ad add to the role alongside a more brutish Batman.

“We watched cats and lions and how they fight and talked about what is actually possible when you’re my size, and Batman’s so much stronger than me,” she said. “What is my skill? It’s being fast and tricky. So, we did some really interesting floor work that incorporated different kinds of martial arts and capoeira and a kind of feline, dance-like movement.”

Of course, Kravitz isn’t the only one taking outside inspiration for her Batman character, with director Matt Reeves revealing that Robert Pattinson’s take on the Dark Knight is based on grunge legend, Kurt Cobain.

“When I write, I listen to music, and as I was writing the first act, I put on Nirvana’s ‘Something In The Way’,” said Reeves. “That’s when it came to me that, rather than make Bruce Wayne the playboy version we’ve seen before, there’s another version who had gone through a great tragedy and become a recluse.”

Focusing on the rise of a serial killer in Gotham City, The Batman introduces new versions of several fan favourites including Catwoman, The Riddler and The Penguin. But a recent trailer also teased the return of Batman’s greatest adversar

The Batman debuts in theaters on March 4, 2022.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors