Become a Patron!

The Deviate From Mad Vapes Has Just Landed.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dang it does look pretty bad ass though but 250...ouch. I guess if money was flowing it would be a cool piece:)

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
well that must be the most awesome looking mod i have ever seen.
But why use the dna40 board.
there is the new dna200 coming, why not wait for that? Might be worth the price point then. Oh wait forgot that board needs more then 1 battery doesn't it?
oh well could have went with the yihi board and get some more watts

ALlso I didnt see a weight, looks like it will be heavy
And I know its a feature of the board, but why would you activate stealth mode? This mod is meant to be noticed

Durka

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I can't see paying that much when you can get a way better mod for a quarter of the cost

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
From what I've seen, MadVapes' markups are about as bad as Vapor Shark. Has anyone looked for this on any other sites?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Diecast Zinc alloy. Oh Yea, this thing will be cloned within a month.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
From what I've seen, MadVapes' markups are about as bad as Vapor Shark. Has anyone looked for this on any other sites?

Sadly, this looks like something that they had specially manufactured just for them.

And won't be available until the Chinese clone it with a better chip.

And IMHO, there is a reason they are called Mad Vapes. In the past I had received some gift certificates from them and every time I tried to place a freaking order they were out of stock on what I wanted or if they did have it, the order process screwed up and I had to contact customer service and every time I was very, Very MAD at these folks.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
For 250? I'll take my chance on an assholo first. lol
Seriously though I think i'll hold off for the dn200 with taste control

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know some like it's looks and that's cool, but to me that's one fugly lookin' mod. I couldn't even imagine being seen in public with it.

Steamin Demon

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like how they brag about a zinc casting like its a good thing.
The Chinese have been cloning tattoo machines out of zinc for years because it's cheap, easily cast and easy to machine.
If we could get Aaron Cain to use some of his biomech carving genius and apply it to a mod it would be a thing of pure beauty.

The.Drifter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my Deviate #278 in today.

kluzee8v2b467bb6g.jpg

Little disappointed with the fit of the mod. Notice the gap at the top of the door.

Here is a little closer shot:

3azrrskin7we47p6g.jpg

another shot:
xjkhueb2214owbc6g.jpg

the door seems misaligned somehow, here is the alignment compared to the top part:
b48f3k36t3um58b6g.jpg

with the alignment off it leaves a rather large lip on one side of the mod:
5oxwsmt8758yaf46g.jpg

compared to the other side:
6yyci78xy1yn1436g.jpg

another minor fitment issue, the top doesnt line up with one side, leaving a gap:
b868vb7kabjhsh46g.jpg

While the mod design does look cool aesthetically, these alignment issues drive my OCD crazy and I now feel that the mod is not worth the price I paid for it :(

I understand that each piece is hand worked after the casting process, so I can overlook the gaps, but that lip totally detracts from its sleek lines. I paused the video on their site in several places to see if that showcase mod had the "lip". As far as I can tell it doesn't, so getting one with proper fit seems to be based on the luck of the draw when you get one.

Hopefully I can send this one back for one with a better fit of the door.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

kluzee8v2b467bb6g.jpg

Little disappointed with the fit of the mod. Notice the gap at the top of the door.

3azrrskin7we47p6g.jpg

another shot:
xjkhueb2214owbc6g.jpg

the door seems misaligned somehow, here is the alignment compared to the top part:
b48f3k36t3um58b6g.jpg

5oxwsmt8758yaf46g.jpg

6yyci78xy1yn1436g.jpg

another minor fitment issue, the top doesnt line up with one side, leaving a gap:
b868vb7kabjhsh46g.jpg

While the mod design does look cool aesthetically, these alignment issues drive my OCD crazy and I now feel that the mod is not worth the price I paid for it :(

I understand that each piece is hand worked after the casting process, so I can overlook the gaps, but that lip totally detracts from its sleek lines. I paused the video on their site in several places to see if that showcase mod had the "lip". As far as I can tell it doesn't, so getting one with proper fit seems to be based on the luck of the draw when you get one.

If I paid $250 and got a mod with that type of assembly I'd be freaking furious.

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

kluzee8v2b467bb6g.jpg

3azrrskin7we47p6g.jpg

another shot:
xjkhueb2214owbc6g.jpg

b48f3k36t3um58b6g.jpg

5oxwsmt8758yaf46g.jpg

6yyci78xy1yn1436g.jpg

b868vb7kabjhsh46g.jpg

Damn just return it and get your money back and buy yourself a Sx Mini or VaporShark Dna200 both choices would be cheaper then this and will have cleaner lines and better fitment I think this piece looks cool and all ,but for what you paid for it thats B.S. quality control.

Maverik_X

Deez Nutz
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For 250? I'll take my chance on an assholo first. lol
Seriously though I think i'll hold off for the dn200 with taste control
You see that gracechen disappeared just days before release date of asholo? must have realized that we are not as gulible as they had originally thought.

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man I don't even know if it would have lasted long enough to take those pics with me.....it better be streamlined and pretty perfect, my OCD would jump out of my body and poop on my face:)

I think it looks really cool though!!! Hope they will understand and take it back.

I know all about OCD though, funny thing is these days what I consider just keeping nice shit and being picky people look at you like your nuts. It gets pretty annoying at times. I don't expect people to be as bad as me but when it's MY shit please respect it like its not yours, ya know:)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You see that gracechen disappeared just days before release date of asholo? must have realized that wer ae not as gulible as they had originally thought.
Yeah dude, makes me feel better about some of the catch back from some on the 'negative' comments

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

kluzee8v2b467bb6g.jpg

3azrrskin7we47p6g.jpg

another shot:
xjkhueb2214owbc6g.jpg

b48f3k36t3um58b6g.jpg

5oxwsmt8758yaf46g.jpg

6yyci78xy1yn1436g.jpg

b868vb7kabjhsh46g.jpg

That sucks more than a Dyson! Hope they either make it right with it being a collector piece or you get your money back.
If it were me it would be en route back to them already and the charges disputed

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Tell them that you want one of the bosses to personally check the replacement device before sending it to you.

For $250 IMHO, each one of them had better be absolutely FLAWLESS!

The.Drifter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn just return it and get your money back and buy yourself a Sx Mini or VaporShark Dna200 both choices would be cheaper then this and will have cleaner lines and better fitment I think this piece looks cool and all ,but for what you paid for it thats B.S. quality control.

The quality control from Madvapes made me feel like I bought a piece of Chinese clone junk. I really got it to add to my collection as a art piece, but in its current state it's embarassing to even show it to my friends. Hopefully they step up their quality control because I really do like everything else about the mod.

The.Drifter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man I don't even know if it would have lasted long enough to take those pics with me.....it better be streamlined and pretty perfect, my OCD would jump out of my body and poop on my face:)

I think it looks really cool though!!! Hope they will understand and take it back.

I know all about OCD though, funny thing is these days what I consider just keeping nice shit and being picky people look at you like your nuts. It gets pretty annoying at times. I don't expect people to be as bad as me but when it's MY shit please respect it like its not yours, ya know:)

After waiting so long to finally get it in hand I really wanted to like it (which for the most part I do), but my OCD fixates to flaws and can't appreciate it anymore. I really hope they swap it out because I really do like its asthectics.

KaBoomStick

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yeah man that's a serious bummer at the price point. I don't mind spending on cool stuff at all but that would drive me insane. I don't think I could've even used it out of disgust. Let us know how they handle it. Mod makers I've bought from in the past regardless of cost have always had no questions asked support no matter what the price point.

Good luck bud.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The quality control from Madvapes made me feel like I bought a piece of Chinese clone junk. I really got it to add to my collection as a art piece, but in its current state it's embarassing to even show it to my friends. Hopefully they step up their quality control because I really do like everything else about the mod.

I feel bad for you as I agree that is a nice looking mod! Hopefully Mad Vapes will take care of you.

Me, I am going to wait for a better constructed clone with an updated chip.

I will bet you $1 that one if these is on the way to China as I write this!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
After waiting so long to finally get it in hand I really wanted to like it (which for the most part I do), but my OCD fixates to flaws and can't appreciate it anymore. I really hope they swap it out because I really do like its asthectics.
That's not ocd, that's just wanting something put together right, fuck dude, for 250$ you could have bought any number of mods with flawless build quality,

The.Drifter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tell them that you want one of the bosses to personally check the replacement device before sending it to you.

For $250 IMHO, each one of them had better be absolutely FLAWLESS!

I agree, it should have been better for that amount of cash, but being cast parts with handwork being required I expected some minor fitment issues, but huge gaps and a "lip" make this one a piece of shit. I fear it's gonna be luck of the draw scoring a "good" one. Hopefully, if they do swap it for a replacement, the next one won't be so janky.

SomeTexan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Looks like they didn't let them cool enough before they pulled it from the mold. Not what I would expect for that kind of money. Being worked by hand, you would think someone would have caught that and made sure it didn't get packaged for sale.

The.Drifter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's not ocd, that's just wanting something put together right, fuck dude, for 250$ you could have bought any number of mods with flawless build quality,

I've got a vast collection of over 60 mods already, most of which are authentics. A few of my other high dollar authentics were from the first release versions as well and also had some quality control issues, but the mod makers were able to fix the issues and all was good. I've spent more on my VaporFlask and Zero mods only to have the chip go wonky, so it's the nature of the beast getting first runs of anything, authentics or clones.

The.Drifter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I opened up a support ticket today at Madvapes concerning this issue. I will let everyone know how they respond and if they will exchange it for different (better fitting) one. Will post picks of the exchanged version if they agree to swap it out. If they won't exchange it I will be returning it for a refund due to poor quality control on this $250 mod.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My authentic DeadModz arrived with non-stainless screws. I informed them of the problem, and received a new base and extra stainless screws. I would hope that MadVapes is as concerned about its products!
I wouldn't be surprised if they just send you another one and let you keep the one you have, to boot!

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My authentic DeadModz arrived with non-stainless screws. I informed them of the problem, and received a new base and extra stainless screws. I would hope that MadVapes is as concerned about its products!
I wouldn't be surprised if they just send you another one and let you keep the one you have, to boot!

One could hope, if that was the case you could keep the awesome one on the shelf to stare at and carry that one around knowing you had a perfect one chillin at home, weird how that would make my obsessiveness feel better about sporting a not so perfect one around....please keep us posted on this one, I NEED to know what happens:)

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's the DNA200:

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Looks like they didn't let them cool enough before they pulled it from the mold. Not what I would expect for that kind of money. Being worked by hand, you would think someone would have caught that and made sure it didn't get packaged for sale.

That assumes that they give a shit other than pulling in $250 for a $70 mod.

UncleRJ

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Actually, I think it is kinda cool looking.

But not $250 cool with what amounts to an outdated chip and construction flaws.

Each and every one of those should not have left without an inspection to make sure they were perfect in form, fit and function.

MadVapes used to be a major player.

Now it seems they just seem to want to rest on a reputation they had 5 years ago.

Pretty damn sad.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Actually, why not? Silver isn't so expensive that there couldn't be some pure silver mods made from it. Some possible mods:
Silver Surfer mod
Silver Bullet mod
Sterling Stoker mod
.999 mod
Bullion mod
Werewolf Killer mod
I wonder how much a Silver Deviate would weigh? Is it possible????

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
12 troy ounces of silver = one pound. 12 x $16 = $192. Silver weighs about an extra third, so if the empty Deviate weighs 2/3 pound, then a silver Deviate would weigh about a pound.
A jeweler could recast the zinc pieces, perhaps.
Price is no object!!

The.Drifter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got a reply from Madvapes thru their online ticket system. After seeing the pics of my Deviate's lip they issued a return RMA and sent a priority shipping label for me to send back my #278 in exchange for one that quote: "has no gaps or cosmetic defects". They will ship out the replacement as soon as they receive my #278. I will share pics of the replacement as soon as it arrives. I'm glad that they are taking care of me and customer service was pleasant to work with concerning my issues.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got a reply from Madvapes thru their online ticket system. After seeing the pics of my Deviate's lip they issued a return RMA and sent a priority shipping label for me to send back my #278 in exchange for one that quote: "has no gaps or cosmetic defects". They will ship out the replacement as soon as they receive my #278. I will share pics of the replacement as soon as it arrives. I'm glad that they are taking care of me and customer service was pleasant to work with concerning my issues.
Dang!!
I felt sure they would send you a brand new one and let you keep the original!
Would have been better if the "has no gaps or cosmetic defects" replacement were cast from solid silver...that would be a nice gesture on their part.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's a collector-type mod on sale today at SubSonic Vapes for $29.99, regular $59.99:
pmag 2.JPG pmag mod.JPG

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm glad you're being treated well, I'm pretty interested in their wooden Bellow mod with a switch, and took a glimpse at this Geiger-esque with a passing interest - so it's good to see quality standards and customer service in action before plunking down a hunk of chump change, you know? Hope you get one that's perfect - for the price, I'd be expecting it to be as close to flawless as possible as well!

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ill be excited to see how its supposed to look! Congrats!

The.Drifter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Got my replacement Deviate in today #292. I got to hand it to Madvapes customer service, they swapped out #278 and shipped the replacement Fedex overnight and also included a $25 coupon code on my next purchase. Very pleased with their customer service.

The replacements fit is much better than the original one I received. There are little gaps at the bottom of the door on this one but its symmetrical on both sides. I can live with it and am finally a happy customer.

As promised here are the pics of the replacement:

uw3ru6lhh9y93z46g.jpg

yxks194vou4nh826g.jpg

a8r4lbopnizeyle6g.jpg

eit4hko83qm7jye6g.jpg

cope69m9drfxbye6g.jpg

ofo6f531cjb7xfr6g.jpg

jai8k82bkihkan56g.jpg

13t121c69x1eb4c6g.jpg

Thanks again Madvapes for such great customer service, it was really appreciated :)

Last edited:

VU Sponsors