Become a Patron!

The FDA's Insane Definition of 'Tobacco Product' Drives Vaping Innovation & Creates a Monopoly

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
https://reason.com/blog/2016/07/26/the-fdas-insane-definition-of-tobacco-pr

I have been saying since I found out that Ron Tully, VTA - vapor technology association Board Member and Owner of Next Generation Labs that has Tobacco Free Nicotine trademarked was looking to create a monopoly on the entire vaping industry.

No one believed me and probably thought I was nuts.

Now it looks like this horror story that was just a conspiracy theory is now TRUE:

But what if you had a vaporizer that worked only with "tobacco-free nicotine," combined with liquids that worked only in that device? That is the convoluted idea behind a joint project announced today by the vaporizer company Vapeix and Next Generation Labs, which makes synthetic nicotine under the TFN brand. The press release says the two companies are "leveraging the world's most advanced embedded firmware, software and hardware" to "develop both closed and open system vaping devices for Next Generation Labs' e-liquid brand customers who use TFN™ Nicotine."

Lack of flexibility is a key selling point. "Through the smart technology embedded in Vapeix Powered devices," says Next Generation cofounder Ron Tully, "the vaporizers will only work with TFN brands—allowing us to create a vape market which is unequivocally disassociated from traditional vaping devices that are intended to be used with tobacco-derived nicotine." Vapeix founder Kyle Newton notes "there's currently a lot of fear in the market as vape businesses and analysts worry that regulation will stifle innovation in the industry." He hopes the joint venture will create "a new product category that will enable future innovation in a narrowing industry."

Now tell me these motherfuckers aren't trying to create a monopoly on the entire vaping industry.

By the way I am nuts! But i'm also not stupid - 5150

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What they fail to realize is that the openness of the system is a very significant part of it's appeal.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
That strikes me as an extremely risky play. My prediction is that the moment these people put something on the market, the FDA will slap them with a Cease & Desist on the basis that they're selling unapproved drug delivery systems. Remember, the FDA did that back in 2009 or thereabouts and the only think that saved vaping then was that Judge Leon decided that tobacco products were explicitly exempt from being regulated as drugs. I wonder how much these people have budgeted for lawyers?

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Fuck em, fuck the FDA and fuck the current administration.
I have 10 years of nic in the freezer, if by some fucked reason I run out before this shit plays out I will either quit or be dead.
I agree with the that sentiment, except that I have NO intention to quit, so I've got a bit more than 10 years worth.
:)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Fuck em, fuck the FDA and fuck the current administration.
I have 10 years of nic in the freezer, if by some fucked reason I run out before this shit plays out I will either quit or be dead.

Nah man, Don't say you will dead in ten years.
That must be some depression talking.
PM me if you want to talk man, OK?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
fuck them, fuck the FDA, anybody that doesn't believe their are conspiracies are uneducated morons with their heads up their asses think breathing their own shit will protect them from evil men......they tried to make mary jane illegal and look how well that worked out for them.....and as Britiian having left that dying corpse the EU, they are free to experiment with vaping...as they prove to the world the benifits of vaping The US goverment will be shown to be the corprate owned lying sacks of shit they are, and vaping will be a wave they won't be able to sweep back.Look at what's going on in the world...the Republicans threw off their political establishment and the Democrats are in the process of throwing off their political esablishment....europe is on the verge of revolution and Angela Merkel is looking for a cozy bunker and a painless way of committing suicide.....Nobody trust the goverment anymore except the brain dead......the FDA won't be ble to control us much longer....I have no intention of obeying their laws, and will look for any and all ways to get around whatever blocks they try and erect around vaping.

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
My initial thoughts is that the EU will like Mr Tullys' devices as that is actually what they wanted in the first intance, but they could not deliver it themselves thus it was ditched.
For the US. I don't know. I just cannot see Mr Tully being the sole proprietor supplying the US market. I think the FDA will find a way to bring his products under the regulations.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Nah man, Don't say you will dead in ten years.
That must be some depression talking.
PM me if you want to talk man, OK?
Nah not depression, reality seems the dudes in my family start with one thing and shit snowballs over decades then gak!! dead.

VU Sponsors