The Illustrated Al Transforms 'Weird Al' Yankovic's Music Into a Graphic Novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
2022 is clearly the year of "Weird Al" Yankovic. Even as the music industry's most prolific parody artist embarks on another North American tour, Roku is gearing up for the release of the Daniel Radcliffe-starring WEIRD: The Al Yankovic Story. Now Weird Al fans have another upcoming release to look forward to - a graphic novel called The Illustrated Al: The Songs of "Weird Al" Yankovic.

First off, check out the incredible cover to The Illustrated Al, painted by MAD Magazine's Drew Friedman:

Published by Z2 Comics, The Illustrated Al is a songbook that spotlights roughly 20 tracks from Yankovic's decades-long career. Each song is interpreted by a different cartoonist and reimagined as a sequential comic book tale. While Z2 isn't revealing which Weird Al classics have made the cut, the publisher did confirm the following artists:

• Drew Friedman (MAD Magazine)
  • Mike & Laura Allred (Madman)
  • Bill Plympton (Your Face, Guard Dog)
  • Aaron Augenblick (Superjail!, Ugly Americans)
  • Peter Bagge (Hate)
  • Sam Viviano (MAD Magazine)
  • Steve Chanks (Revolver Magazine)
  • Danny Hellman (Village Voice)
  • Felipe Sobreiro (Luther Strode, Death’s Head)
  • Gideon Kendall (MegaGhost)
  • Michael Kupperman (Up All Night, The New Yorker)
  • Wes Hargis (My New Teacher and Me!, When I Grow Up)
  • Ruben Bolling ( Tom the Dancing Bug and Super-Fun-Pak Comix)
  • Fred Harper (The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal)

“It’s such an incredible honor to see my song lyrics brought to life by some of my all-time favorite cartoonists and illustrators,” said Yankovic in Z2's press release. “I’ve actually been playing the long game—the only reason I spent four decades in the music business is so that one day I could have my very own graphic novel.”

As with many of Z2's music-inspired graphic novels, The Illustrated Al will be released in multiple versions when it hits stores in November 2022. In addition to the standard softcover and hardcover editions, there will be both Deluxe Edition and Super Deluxe Edition hardcovers. These oversized collections will include a number of bonus physical items like art prints, drink coasters, a vinyl slipmat and, in the case of the Super Deluxe Edition, a mini-accordion.

WEIRD: The Al Yankovic Story will debut on The Roku Channel later in 2022. W got our first look at Radcliffe as an '80s-era Yankovic back in February, and Roku released the first teaser trailer for the biopic in May:

Jesse is a mild-mannered staff writer for IGN. Allow him to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket by following @jschedeen on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors