The King’s Man Director Would Like To Make a Series of Period Kingsman Prequels

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
The King’s Man director, Matthew Vaughn, has said that he hopes to explore “the history of espionage” in a series of Kingsman prequel movies.

Talking to IGN, Vaughn said that he hopes The King’s Man performs well enough at the box office to allow the Kingsman films to exist as two series; the original modern day-set movies and prequels in period settings.

“I would love to go through history through the eyes of the Kingsman,” he said. “[I’d like to] take some historical events and find some gray areas to sneak into, but also do the history of espionage because it gets very interesting. I mean, the idea that we can end up doing a Kingsman movie set in the Cold War, and set it in '62 like Dr. No…”

Much like The King’s Man, Vaughn envisions a Cold War-era film to have a more serious tone. But, depending on the era of the story, he sees potential for something closer to the humour of the Bond-spoof original films.

“The Cold War, I think it was the period for writing spy movies, or novels, or scripts,” he said. “And that tone will be serious. I mean, more serious, but still fun and entertaining, but we can because of the periods and we can adapt to the '50s to the '60s, to the '70s. '70s will go a bit more Austin Powers-y maybe, who knows. The history writes the stories for us.”

In Vaughn’s mind, if he were able to continue The King’s Man thread of the franchise, it could bring the whole series full circle by reintroducing Colin Firth’s Harry Hart as a younger man, pre the first Kingsman story.

“This is the birth of a baby Kingsman,” he continued. “Hopefully, if in success we can get to that point, we meet a young Harry Hart and he realizes that the Kingsman are now totally out of touch. They've probably forgotten why they were founded, and he decides he wants to bring in new blood and make the Kingsman relevant to modern society. So there's a lot that we could do as long as people want it.”

The King’s Man releases on December 22 after a multi-year delay. For more, check out our exclusive Rasputin clip, the movie’s red band trailer, and our The King's Man review.

Matt Purslow is IGN's UK News and Entertainment Writer.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors