Become a Patron!

The Matrix Resurrections: Lilly Wachowski Explains Why She Didn't Want to Co-Direct

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Lilly Wachowski, the co-director of the original Matrix trilogy, has clarified why she didn't return to helm the newest entry in the franchise.

Speaking at Showtime's TCA panel on Wednesday, per The Wrap, Wachowski addressed her lack of involvement in The Matrix Resurrections, explaining that she found the idea of "going backwards" in her career "expressly unappealing" and that she struggled to find the motivation to return to the franchise following some major shifts in her personal life.

"I didn't want to have gone through my transition and gone through this massive upheaval in my life, the sense of loss from my mom and dad, to want to go back to something that I had done before and sort of walk over old paths that I had walked in, felt emotionally unfulfilling and really the opposite," Wachowski explained. "Like I was going to go back and live in these old shoes in a way. And I didn't want to do that."

Wachowski last worked on a movie with her sister, Lana, who is solo directing the fourth Matrix entry, on Jupiter Ascending in 2015. She admitted that she had felt "completely exhausted" from working back-to-back on Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending and then moving immediately on to the first season of the Netflix series Sense8.

"My world was like falling apart, to some extent, even while I was like, you know, cracking out of my egg. So I needed this time away from this industry," she said. "I needed to, like, reconnect to myself as an artist. And I did that by going back to school and painting and stuff. And I made that decision. So I started painting that summer with my mom and then Lana got the call from Netflix that they wanted to order up another season. And I said, 'I can't do it.'"

Warner Bros. debuted the first official footage of the fourth entry in The Matrix series during its CinemaCon presentation on Tuesday. The studio also officially confirmed that the title of the long-awaited sequel is The Matrix Resurrections. For more about the upcoming sequel, here's a rundown of everything else that we know about the first Matrix film since 2003.

Adele Ankers is a freelance writer for IGN. Follow her on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors