The Northman: Check Out Four Exclusive Images From the Viking Revenge Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
The Northman is the next historic thriller by director of The Witch and The Lighthouse, Robert Eggers. During IGN Fan Fest, Eggers shared four exclusive photos from the upcoming Viking movie.

As part of IGN Fan Fest, we sat down with Eggers who introduced four exclusive photos from The Northman that IGN can share today. Check out the gallery below for a look at Alexander Skarsgard’s Viking prince Amleth, Claes Bang as Fjolnir, Ingvar Sigurdsson as The Sorcerer, and Ethan Hawke who plays King Aurvandil:

Eggers calls Skarsgard’s character a “berzerker” who can channel the ferocity of a bear. Eggers also shared some design details of the characters including how The Sorcerer’s mummified head is drawn from Odin’s prophetic abilities.

The Northman is described as a revenge thriller starring a Viking prince out to avenge his father the king. In an interview with IGN, Eggers calls this movie his most blockbuster picture yet, but he maintains his dedication to historical accuracy.

“[Historical accuracy] It’s not important to filmmaking, at all really. And you can make a great period story without being accurate — you know Coppola’s Dracula is one of the best-designed movies in my opinion but it’s not accurate at all. But this is something that I like, for whatever reason. It excites me.”

Eggers says the accuracy frees him in a way, in that rather than designing an original sword, for example, he can point to a sword and say, “that’s the sword.”

Be sure to check out our full interview with Eggers who shares his favorite Viking myths he learned while working on The Northman, as well as the collaborative approach he had writing the film with Icelandic poet, Sjon.

And be sure to check out the full schedule for IGN Fan Fest for more interviews, exclusives, and more.

Matt T.M. Kim is IGN's News Editor. You can reach him @lawoftd.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors