Become a Patron!

The Punisher Returns: Marvel Comics Teases Frank Castle's 'Dark and Tragic Evolution'

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Marvel Comics hasn't published an ongoing Punisher comic since 2019, which might seem strange given the character's ongoing popularity. Thankfully, that's going to change in 2022. Marvel is currently prepping what may well be the most dramatic revamp of the Punisher franchise since the extremely divisive Franken-Castle.

The latest volume of Punisher is a 13-issue, prestige format limited series that will explore both Frank Castle's bloody past and a very surprising status quo shift in the present. The series also boasts quite the impressive creative team, including writer Jason Aaron (The Avengers, The Mighty Thor), artists Jesús Saiz (Star Wars) and Paul Azaceta (Outcast by Kirkman & Azaceta) and colorist Dave Stewart. Saiz and Azaceta will collaborate on each issue, with Saiz handling the present-day portions of the story and Azaceta the flashbacks.

The status quo change in question involves Frank Castle taking control of the ninja cult known as The Hand and becoming "The King of Killers," a servant of The Beast. Along with that new job comes a brand new costume and an even bigger arsenal of weapons.

Why Frank makes that choice is unclear, but it seems to tie back to previously unrevealed secrets about his past. And as Marvel teases, this change is merely a prelude for something even bigger on the horizon. With any luck, the new series may redefine the Punisher franchise as dramatically as House of X and Powers of X did for the X-Men line line in 2019.

“A few years ago, Jason Aaron came into one of our creative summits with a pitch for Frank that made our collective jaws drop,” said Marvel Editor-in-Chief C.B. Cebulski in a press release. “The story Jason is telling – a truly epic tale about darkness, violence, and choices – can only be told with the Punisher at its core. This series will build on Frank’s legacy while introducing us to a side of him we’ve never seen before, setting the stage for an evolution that we’ll find was inevitable.”

“After writing the Punisher over the years, I’ve always been fascinated by the character of Frank Castle. What moments made him the Punisher, even before that fateful day in the park? And how far will he go to win the war that has consumed his life? Spoiler: as far as it damn well takes,” said Aaron. “This story is the destined next step in the dark and tragic evolution of Frank Castle, from troubled kid to heroic soldier to revenge-driven vigilante…to the duly anointed King of Killers. Believe me when I say, I am as excited about this story as anything I’ve ever written for Marvel.”

Fans of Aaron's work will probably remember he previously collaborated with the late Steve Dillon on PunisherMAX from 2010 to 2012. However, that series was set in Marvel's MAX universe, whereas this Punisher comic is firmly set within the traditional Marvel Universe.

Look for The Punisher #1 to hit stores in March 2022. For now, let us know in the comments what you think of this new direction for Frank Castle and where you hope to see the character end up in 2023.

Be sure to check out IGN's ten nominees for the best comic book series or original graphic novel of 2021 and find out which one took home the award.

Jesse is a mild-mannered staff writer for IGN. Allow him to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket by following @jschedeen on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors