Become a Patron!

The Thing: John Carpenter Says There Have Been 'Discussions' About a Sequel to The Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
The Thing creator John Carpenter has had “discussions” about a new sequel.

During an interview with Fandom, the 74-year-old filmmaker hinted that he’s already been discussing a new sequel to his 1982 sci-fi horror classic, perhaps involving his original's remaining leads:

“I just think there’s another bit of a story to tell there, which I’m not going to tell you about,” he said. “But there have been some discussions about The Thing and what we could do because, as far as we know, both those two main characters – Childs [Keith David] and MacReady [Kurt Russell] — are still alive. They were alive at the end of The Thing, so maybe they’re still alive.”

The Thing starred Kurt Russell as R.J. MacReady – a helicopter pilot who becomes stranded at an Antarctic research base after a mysterious lifeform assimilates, and then imitates, his fellow researchers.

But would Kurt Russell return to the role? “I don’t know,” said Carpenter. “Maybe.”

Despite negative reviews and a slim box office haul, The Thing later became a cult hit and is now thought of as one of the greatest sci-fi and horror films of all time.

It’s not the first time we’ve heard rumblings of another film: “I think [Jason Blum's] gonna be working on The Thing,” Carpenter previously teased. “Rebooting The Thing. I may be involved with that. Maybe. Down the road.”

The original plan was for Universal and Blumhouse to adapt the novella Who Goes There? with additional content from the expanded version, Frozen Hell. But that was back in 2020, and we’ve heard relatively little since.

It’s entirely possible that plans have changed… and Carpenter is playing coy about whether or not he will direct a sequel. “I don’t know,” he said when asked about directing again. “We’ll see.”

But when asked which properties he would like to make a sequel of, The Thing was up there: “Maybe The Thing,” he added. “Maybe Prince of Darkness. I can see a little bit more of that. But we’ll see. You never know in this business. You really don’t.”

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors