The Wolverine Movie Line That Made a Legendary X-Men Writer Scream 'Yes!'

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
To this day, the original X-Men film is regarded as one of the better comic book adaptations around, even by some of its original authors. In fact, one line in particular from screenwriter David Hayter and actor Hugh Jackman had writer Chris Claremont screaming for joy during the theatrical premiere, according to a new oral history of Wolverine by Inverse.

While discussing reestablishing the character of Wolverine, Claremont said that he and artist Dave Cockrum decided to age up Wolverine to reflect a more weathered and world-weary persona. Around issue #98, Cockrum illustrated Wolverine's claws jutting out from his skin, as part of his body rather than a mechanical apparatus.

"I remember looking at it and going, “Oh my God, that’s disgusting,'” Claremont said. "The decision to make the claws come through his hand made him more human. Every time he uses his claws, he’s slashing his hand open — that hurts, he shouldn’t get used to that."

Cut to the year 2000, when Hugh Jackman officially took on the persona of Wolverine for theatrical audiences.

"It was epitomized onscreen in the first X-Men movie when Anna Paquin looks up at Hugh Jackman and asks, 'Does it hurt?'" Claremont said. "Then he takes this marvelous five or ten-second beat and says, 'Every time.' I remember jumping up at the premiere and saying 'Yes!' at the top of my lungs. Not only because it was my line from the comics, but it also epitomizes the character."

X-Men and X-2 screenwriter David Hayter told Inverse that he got the inspiration for the line straight from Claremont's own writing in the comics.

"It’s such a great line because it works on so many levels," Hayter said. "Not only does it hurt Logan when the claws come out, but other people get hurt as well."

Of course, the X-Men may "return" to the Marvel Cinematic Universe very soon, based on Sir Patrick Stewart's appearance in the Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness trailer. We'll just have to wait and see if future incarnations of Wolvie stick to the same tone.

Joseph Knoop is a writer/producer for IGN.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors