Become a Patron!

There's a Tiny Akira Kurosawa Figure Hidden Somewhere in Certain Episodes of The Mandalorian

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
The Mandalorian executive producer and writer Dave Filoni has revealed that he has hidden a tiny Akira Kurosawa figure on every episode he's directed of the Disney+ show.

Filoni was speaking at Star Wars Celebration and shared that he chose to place this figure of the legendary director on set as he was a huge influence on not only Filoni, but on George Lucas himself.

"One thing I do in particular that I don't think anyone will ever see, but a lot of my influence comes from obviously George, and then George's mentor is Akira Kurosawa," Filoni said. "And so I've done a lot of study of that and talking with George about it.

"So I have a really small Akira Kurosawa figure, and he is in every episode I've directed somewhere in the set. I hide him in there, and when we shoot an episode I'm directing, he's always right by the monitors to remind me of a lot of his principles of filmmaking that he gave to George so he's another influence on what I'm doing.

"He's in there, but it would be very hard to see him. And there are little Pittsburgh homages, because I love my hometown, so you'll see little golden triangles here and there."

Kurosawa is known for such films as Seven Samurai and The Hidden Fortress, and the inspirations of those movies in particular and his wider work can be clearly seen in that galaxy far, far away.

Fans of Kurosawa will be happy to know that Obi-Wan Kenobi director Deborah Chow was also hugely inspired by Kurosawa and "gritty, poetic westerns," so that influence will be felt in this new series as well.

For more from Star Wars Celebration, check out the release date and first trailer of Star Wars' Andor, the official teaser trailer of Willow, the first image from Indiana Jones 5, and the confirmation that the third season of The Mandalorian and the premiere of Ahsoka will arrive in 2023.

Have a tip for us? Want to discuss a possible story? Please send an email to [email protected].

Adam Bankhurst is a news writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter
@AdamBankhurst and on Twitch.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors