This Company Turns Tech Teardowns into Beautiful Home Décor

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
If you have a gadget in your life that holds a lot of sentimental value and are looking for a way to preserve the memories you have without clogging up space in your home, look no further. Grid Studio is one of few companies that take apart notable gadgets and turn them into beautiful works of art to hang up on your wall.

Founded in 2020, Grid Studio sells an array of tech teardown frames from smartphones such as the iPhone 4S, to gaming console frames such as the Nintendo DS Lite. The company has even dabbled in other miscellaneous Apple gadgets such as the iPod Touch.

Each piece features all the parts of the device in question, with most of its frames including labels to show you what each part does on the device. I opted to get the PSP 1000 frame: not only was it Sony’s first outing in the gaming handheld market, but that particular model holds some sentimental value to me, and I was lucky enough to get one a month after its release for my ninth birthday. Along with all the childhood memories I had playing games like Daxter, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, and Star Wars Battlefront 2 on the go and thinking how odd it was that it used Universal Media Discs (UMD).

Opening up the frame and taking a look at the PSP and its innards instantly brought back all the memories I have with Sony’s first gaming handheld. The labeling of each part is a nice touch, as it provides a lot more context as to what each part was tasked with inside the handheld. I also enjoyed the little note on the bottom left corner, as you can see below, which detailed how long the PSP was around before Sony discontinued the product. Everything featured on the frame felt like a little slice of gaming history that serves as a memorial for the legacy of the PlayStation Portable.

Outside of gadget-lovers like myself, Grid Studio has also caught the eye of several high-profile individuals. This includes the VP of iPad at Apple, who requested a frame. One customer requested a frame of all the iPhone cameras, as he wanted to give the frame to his friend who was in charge of all the cameras installed inside the iPhone and iPads at Apple.

While the company offers a robust line of products (mostly various iPhone models), the company is always looking to make new frames of gadgets. This includes a frame of the DualShock 4 (pictured below), which is available now.

Grid Studio is based in China but does ship internationally, but due to COVID-19, your delivery date may vary. For context, my frame came roughly three weeks after ordering it, but your mileage may vary.

Taylor is the Associate Tech Editor at IGN who really enjoys seeing her favorite childhood gadgets framed. You can follow her on Twitter @TayNixster.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors