Become a Patron!

Tired of expensive cotton?

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've used just about every kind of cotton out there. I even tried some cotton facial tissue hoping it'd help for rebuilding factory coils. I wanted thin pad like cotton similar to what's found in those kind of coil heads. The problem was, they were bleached and the flavor was awful. I can detect bleach now in most vape branded cottons. It's not near as bad but it's still there. Now that I've gotten a big taste of what bleached cotton tastes like, I'm ultra sensitive to it. I never noticed it before which is a bit weird. I'll still use vape cotton but am getting back into pads.

I've had a big bag of Puff brand cotton for a few years. I recently got some Muji pads. It's really good and cheap ($2 per pack on their site). Clean flavor too.

ProlineVaper

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
VU Patreon
I use rayon. Works gr8 and lasts
I prefer rayon for RDTAs and RDAs, but regular cotton for RTAs. For some reason I always have leaking issues with my RTAs when using rayon. If it werent for that, I would use it for RTAs as well. Better flavor, absorbsion, and quality vapor in my opinion!

Syythe

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I prefer rayon for RDTAs and RDAs, but regular cotton for RTAs. For some reason I always have leaking issues with my RTAs when using rayon. If it werent for that, I would use it for RTAs as well. Better flavor, absorbsion, and quality vapor in my opinion!
Rayon will shrink a little after some use. You just have to use a little more than you think it needs. That is how I do it when I build RTAs (which admittedly isn't too often anymore).

Cotton expands after use, so that is why a lot of people say to use just a little less than you think it needs in an RTA, so it doesn't end up expanding and start to choke off the juice flow.

Wb80

-DIY-demon-
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Rayon will shrink a little after some use. You just have to use a little more than you think it needs. That is how I do it when I build RTAs (which admittedly isn't too often anymore).

Cotton expands after use, so that is why a lot of people say to use just a little less than you think it needs in an RTA, so it doesn't end up expanding and start to choke off the juice flow.
Well said

ProlineVaper

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
VU Patreon

I will use this info and give it a try... Thanks!

jslaughter

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I guess I’m lucky that I’m a mtl vapor because my cotton bacon prime lasts more than a week and still looks clean but I don’t vape above 40 watts so probably has a lot to do with it

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I guess I’m lucky that I’m a mtl vapor because my cotton bacon prime lasts more than a week and still looks clean but I don’t vape above 40 watts so probably has a lot to do with it
For about a year I have been vaping on a series mech at .25 ohms with a pair of Samsung 20S batteries so, when my batteries are full, this translates to ~229 watts, or, on average, 5× the power that you mention. Yet, despite this, Cotton Bacon 2.0 lasts more than two weeks for how I vape and still looks spotless also. My coils definitely don't give me a pitch black crust, very much unlike what's shown in the pic that was posted in the OP. Instead, I get just a thin, dark brown, kind of patina-ish layer that looks evenly spread along the entire length of the coils. But that's just because I vape only high VG premium juices the vast majority of which have quite a lot of sucralose sweetener in them─very often also they are custards/desserts/bakey type stuff that's usually a bit darker in color compared to your average fruity flavored juice.

Vaping on a single battery mech at .11 ohms on a Samsung 30T battery─100 watts lower than those ~229 watts that I was talking about─the Cotton Bacon 2.0 lasts almost a whole week less long. There's nothing magical about that, as the coil surface temperature is still pretty much identical for both of these two different styles of vaping, or at least that's how I do my vaping─as I don't let my coils overheat in any way whatsoever─BUT... the lower powered of the two is taking longer hits. So, the part of the juice that is located on the inside of the coils keeps boiling the cotton fibers to mush for a comparatively longer period of time during each hit. Whereas faster vapor production resulting from higher power─that's in cohort with stronger airflow slamming right into the coils as a result from precision tweaking─causes the juice to keep getting sucked out of the wicks at a faster rate during the hit, which also helps to carry the heat away from the cotton on the inside of the coils. (The juice flow does.)

Coil construction also plays a part. Some of coil types, especially if using reasonably thin wire strands, can suck juice out of the cotton so much faster than the "simpler" types can, that a dual coil build that is still nowhere nearly oversized for your average dual coil 25mm RDA can still be capable to produce the kind of vape that does not get hot... despite pushing a fuck ton of power through it.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
For about a year I have been vaping on a series mech at .25 ohms with a pair of Samsung 20S batteries so, when my batteries are full, this translates to ~229 watts, or, on average, 5× the power that you mention. Yet, despite this, Cotton Bacon 2.0 lasts more than two weeks for how I vape and still looks spotless also. My coils definitely don't give me a pitch black crust, very much unlike what's shown in the pic that was posted in the OP. Instead, I get just a thin, dark brown, kind of patina-ish layer that looks evenly spread along the entire length of the coils. But that's just because I vape only high VG premium juices the vast majority of which have quite a lot of sucralose sweetener in them─very often also they are custards/desserts/bakey type stuff that's usually a bit darker in color compared to your average fruity flavored juice.

Vaping on a single battery mech at .11 ohms on a Samsung 30T battery─100 watts lower than those ~229 watts that I was talking about─the Cotton Bacon 2.0 lasts almost a whole week less long. There's nothing magical about that, as the coil surface temperature is still pretty much identical for both of these two different styles of vaping, or at least that's how I do my vaping─as I don't let my coils overheat in any way whatsoever─BUT... the lower powered of the two is taking longer hits. So, the part of the juice that is located on the inside of the coils keeps boiling the cotton fibers to mush for a comparatively longer period of time during each hit. Whereas faster vapor production resulting from higher power─that's in cohort with stronger airflow slamming right into the coils as a result from precision tweaking─causes the juice to keep getting sucked out of the wicks at a faster rate during the hit, which also helps to carry the heat away from the cotton on the inside of the coils. (The juice flow does.)

Coil construction also plays a part. Some of coil types, especially if using reasonably thin wire strands, can suck juice out of the cotton so much faster than the "simpler" types can, that a dual coil build that is still nowhere nearly oversized for your average dual coil 25mm RDA can still be capable to produce the kind of vape that does not get hot... despite pushing a fuck ton of power through it.

TMIDR

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
...And yes, rayon is shit. Because it tastes like shit. That plus the fact this topic is about being expensive, when the reality is that a packet of Cotton Bacon 2.0 costs less than a fucking hamburger. It's still money of course. But, everything costs money. Excepting internet remarks from @SteveS45 as those always are like free money thrown in your lap.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Agree that rayon is pretty good. Use it from time to time, really ought to stick to it. Like the Muji cotton too. Have found it cheap from FT. Keep meaning to try a blend of Muji + Rayon just for giggles, not got "there" yet. *chuckles*

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Agree that rayon is pretty good. Use it from time to time, really ought to stick to it. Like the Muji cotton too. Have found it cheap from FT. Keep meaning to try a blend of Muji + Rayon just for giggles, not got "there" yet. *chuckles*
Like others, I use rayon in RDAs but had problems in RTAs. I settled on rayon wrapped inside Muji. I believe it helps with the juice uptake while maintaining volume.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Like others, I use rayon in RDAs but had problems in RTAs. I settled on rayon wrapped inside Muji. I believe it helps with the juice uptake while maintaining volume.
*nodding, taking notes* Had thought of just twisting a bit of each together. Kind of like spinning sugar floss. :) Pinch o' rayon, pinch o' cotton, twist.

ShowerHead

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I bought a lifetime supply of Muji for about US$15 from their website.
But, I'm a simple man with simple needs. 40W dual round wire coils with unflavored juice.

VU Sponsors