Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
http://vtdigger.org/2016/01/27/tobacco-ban-at-residential-treatment-centers-deters-some-clients/

"The smoke-free policy was a long time coming. The Health Department began crafting it about two years ago. The goal: to make treatment facilities tobacco-free, in the same way that hospitals and other health services offices are, according to Deputy Commissioner Barbara Cimaglio.

Initially, the department planned to have the state’s residential treatment centers go tobacco-free by July 1, 2015, but the facilities asked for a six-month delay, so it went into place at the beginning of this year.

There are “a lot of myths” about tobacco use and addiction treatment, Cimaglio said Tuesday. Many people believe someone can’t give up smoking while also going through treatment for drug addiction. But research shows that’s not true, Cimaglio said.

She said the department adopted the tobacco-free policy with the intention that quitting smoking could be part of a patient’s treatment plan.

“It isn’t intended to be punitive,” Cimaglio said. “It’s intended to help the patients see that tobacco is a serious problem.”

When patients come into a program, they won’t be expected to quit cold turkey, she said. They’ll have access to nicotine patches and gum
, and clinicians can refer them to other support services, like the Vermont Quit Line, Cimaglio said."

You have got to be fucking kidding me.
Now they are treating smoking like a ****** addiction.
It's hard enough to take that first step to stop shooting dope to start with
but by making them quit smoking at the same time they are keeping many addicts out on the street using BOTH! - 5150

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Next it will be with how often we can go to the bathroom or how much paper we can use when we wipe etc etc etc.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm shocked their average treatment stay is only 2 weeks. Not many are getting off opiates in 2 weeks...

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I'm shocked their average treatment stay is only 2 weeks. Not many are getting off opiates in 2 weeks...

It takes 2 weeks before you get your first night of good sleep.
I would safely say that it should be at least an entire month.
Doctors just don't understand that past the first 5 days the withdrawal/physical addiction goes away but for the next few weeks the mental addiction is still there.
That mental addiction is what pushes addicts back to their old ways after 2 weeks.

Seina_Yamada

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I worked at a treatment center at one point banning smoking would have gone about as well as a wormhole jump strait to hell. Give them their coffee and smokes and let them get one monkey off their backs at one time...

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Next it will be with how often we can go to the bathroom or how much paper we can use when we wipe etc etc etc.

16744.jpg

VU Sponsors