Become a Patron!

Tobacco Taxation for Californians

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool..the good liberals of California are targeting the poor to pay the bill of buying votes for the DNC...when laws and taxes become to burdensome and unjust the people will break them, and the policitcal class will lose both revenue and trust......California is quickly becoming a third world nation a joke.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
27.3% Wholesale tax?

Well looks like I won't be buying anything located in California and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

These assholes here in the States really want to turn a multi billion dollar industry in the US over to China, don't they? Might as well, they've pretty much done that with most of the U.S. Industry already, why stop now?

:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
27.3% Wholesale tax?

Well looks like I won't be buying anything located in California and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

These assholes here in the States really want to turn a multi billion dollar industry in the US over to China, don't they? Might as well, they've pretty much done that with most of the U.S. Industry already, why stop now?

:poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:
someone really needs to tweet trump on this. it goes against everything he is for. he wants to bring business to the US, not kick out businesses. Vaping is a multibillion dollar industry now. I'm sure we want that money to stay locally. Personally I don't mind paying sales tax and maybe a 1-2% federal tax on vaping gear but 27%? they can fuck off with that bullshit I'll just order from china and pay no tax lol. China gives no fucks

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
WTF is this bullshit?

Tobacco Products
Under the California Cigarette and Tobacco Products Tax Law (Revenue and Taxation Code § 30121), "tobacco products" include, but are not limited to:

• All forms of cigars (except "little cigars," which are considered cigarettes for California tax purposes)
  • Smoking tobacco (including shisha)
  • Chewing tobacco
  • Snuff
  • Any other articles or products made of or containing at least 50 percent tobacco (excluding cigarettes)
Tobacco products do not include cigarettes.

Expanded Definition of Tobacco Products
As of June 9, 2016, state law expanded the definition of a tobacco product, for cigarette and tobacco retail licensing purposes, to include:

• Any product containing, made, or derived from tobacco or nicotine that is intended for human consumption.
  • Any electronic smoking or vaping device that delivers nicotine or other vaporized liquids.
  • Any component, part, or accessory of a tobacco product, whether or not sold separately.
Examples include, but are not limited to, electronic cigarettes, atomizers, vaping tanks or mods, and eLiquid or eJuice. A tobacco product does not include products that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has approved as cessation products or for other therapeutic purposes (e.g., nicotine patches).

Effective January 1, 2017, any retailer who sells any product included in the expanded definition of tobacco products, is required to obtain and maintain a Cigarette and Tobacco Products Retailer License from the Board of Equalization (BOE) in order to engage in the retail sale of these products.

Imposition of Tax
The cigarette and tobacco products tax is paid by a distributor upon the first distribution of cigarettes and tobacco products in California.

A distribution includes the first sale, use, or consumption of untaxed cigarettes or untaxed tobacco products in California, and the placing of untaxed cigarettes or untaxed tobacco products into a vending machine or retail stock in California (Revenue and Taxation Code § 30008). Currently, electronic cigarettes (eCigarettes) do not fall under the Revenue and Taxation Code definitions of cigarettes or tobacco products as they do not contain tobacco. Therefore, eCigarettes are not subject to California's excise tax.

Difference in How Cigarettes and Tobacco Products Are Taxed
Two types of excise taxes are collected on cigarettes and tobacco products distributed in California: 1) the cigarette tax, and 2) the cigarette and tobacco products surtaxes. Each tax is described below, according to the type of product sold.

Cigarettes
Cigarettes are subject to both the cigarette tax and two cigarette and tobacco products surtaxes, collectively referred to as taxes. The taxes are assessed on each cigarette distributed in California.

Distributors pay the taxes by purchasing cigarette tax stamps from the BOE. Distributors are required to affix the tax stamp to each package of cigarettes before distribution. In turn, they receive a purchase discount of 0.85% of the total tax value per purchase order to help offset the cost of affixing cigarette tax stamps. Distributors pass the excise taxes on to their customer, and the taxes become part of the retail selling price of the cigarettes. The cost of the cigarette tax stamp includes all of the taxes.

Tobacco Products
The tax on other tobacco products, also known as OTP, is subject to two surtaxes. The BOE determines one combined rate annually that is equivalent to the combined rate of the taxes applied to cigarettes. The total tobacco products tax is imposed upon the first distribution of tobacco products at a rate determined annually by the BOE and is paid by tobacco products distributors.

A tobacco products distributor is required to calculate the tobacco products tax due based on the wholesale cost of the tobacco products distributed and remit the amounts owed each month on tax return forms provided by the BOE.

Currently, electronic cigarettes (eCigarettes) do not fall under the Revenue and Taxation Code definitions of cigarettes or tobacco products as they do not contain tobacco. Therefore, eCigarettes are not subject to California's excise tax.

So nicotine patches = non tobacco product
no nicotine ejuice = tobacco product
What in the actual fuck?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
someone really needs to tweet trump on this. it goes against everything he is for. he wants to bring business to the US, not kick out businesses. Vaping is a multibillion dollar industry now. I'm sure we want that money to stay locally. Personally I don't mind paying sales tax and maybe a 1-2% federal tax on vaping gear but 27%? they can fuck off with that bullshit I'll just order from china and pay no tax lol. China gives no fucks
I'm skeptical if tweeting the Chump would do anything

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
As this is a proposition passed in CA, there's nothing Mr. Cheetos can do about it. States have a right to determine their own taxation.

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.
ah good point indeed sir. Guess i'm scratching a few CA vendors off my order list. kinda sucks as i really like quite a few. I'll still order from the sauce though. their juice is really good and cheap enough that the tax doesn't make it not worth buying

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
As this is a proposition passed in CA, there's nothing Mr. Cheetos can do about it. States have a right to determine their own taxation.

Sent from somewhere in Vietnam.
actually there is something he can do.
the FDA is a federal agency, he can repeal the fact that ecigs are "tobacco" products and have them re classed. Or am i completely off base with this? Politics really aren't my thing

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
actually there is something he can do.
the FDA is a federal agency, he can repeal the fact that ecigs are "tobacco" products and have them re classed. Or am i completely off base with this? Politics really aren't my thing
Doesn't matter, "if" that was to happen it wouldn't affect the State's.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Doesn't matter, "if" that was to happen it wouldn't affect the State's.
but the state tax only applies to tobacco products, hence if it's not a tobacco product it no longer falls under the tax law.
I would think they would have to put a new Prop to vote to tax ecigs then separately
but again if I'm wrong please correct me cause from my understanding the new Prop wouldn't effect ecigs if they weren't classified as a tobacco product.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
but the state tax only applies to tobacco products, hence if it's not a tobacco product it no longer falls under the tax law.
I would think they would have to put a new Prop to vote to tax ecigs then separately
but again if I'm wrong please correct me cause from my understanding the new Prop wouldn't effect ecigs if they weren't classified as a tobacco product.
you are correct.. they would no longer be a toacco product

At the Federal Level, but the State's can restrict even further.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
At the Federal Level, but the State's can restrict even further.
but that would take years of legislation i would think, a new prop and a new vote as well. would at minimum delay it.
I would think trump would have some interest in it since his stance is to keep money in the USA, grow businesses, and create jobs. I would think that a multi billion dollar industry getting kicked out of the US and the money to go to china losing jobs and money would be in his best interest.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
but that would take years of legislation i would think, a new prop and a new vote as well. would at minimum delay it.
I would think trump would have some interest in it since his stance is to keep money in the USA, grow businesses, and create jobs. I would think that a multi billion dollar industry getting kicked out of the US and the money to go to china losing jobs and money would be in his best interest.
Year's, nope. It affects the inbound cash flow and they fast track all that shit. States can also keep it classified as a "Tobacco" product even "if" by some miracle the FDA reverses their definition.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Year's, nope. It affects the inbound cash flow and they fast track all that shit. States can also keep it classified as a "Tobacco" product even "if" by some miracle the FDA reverses their definition.
well that's just shitty. I'm actually surprised it passed in CA since it's such a hippie state that hates guns and just legalized weed.

Reactions: kh1

kh1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Agreed, horrible news.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well that's just shitty. I'm actually surprised it passed in CA since it's such a hippie state that hates guns and just legalized weed.
I'm not, you know how money hungry California is and any excuse to jack the fuck up any tax's they do. They're one of the worst State's for taxes in the country, big reason why I left.

I remember literally scrounging through my clothes, couch, etc. for change just to buy some food. Then driving every day by section 8 housing living a much higher standard of living than I could afford. I eventually said fuck it and moved back home to Washington State. We're a very left leaning State but due to some things written in the State Constitution like no income tax we still have a decent economy that the average Joe/Jane can still make a living.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'm not, you know how money hungry California is and any excuse to jack the fuck up any tax's they do. They're one of the worst State's for taxes in the country, big reason why I left.

I remember literally scrounging through my clothes, couch, etc. for change just to buy some food. Then driving every day by section 8 housing living a much higher standard of living than I could afford. I eventually said fuck it and moved back home to Washington State, we're a very left leaning State but due to some things written in the State Constitution like no income tax we still have a decent economy that the average Joe/Jane can make a living.
Trust me i know. It's expensive as fuck to live here. I pay about 30% of my income to state and federal taxes and such. It's fucking stupid. In a lot of states i could live like a king on my income lol but in CA not even close. It's a big reason why a lot of people here work in CA but live in mexico by the border. They can buy a huge house there for 1/10th the cost of a normal house in san diego and be a 15 minute drive away. worse off on that this just happened
https://virginiapatriot1776.wordpre...ts-to-1-5-billion-math-error-in-state-budget/
how in the fuck?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Trust me i know. It's expensive as fuck to live here. I pay about 30% of my income to state and federal taxes and such. It's fucking stupid. In a lot of states i could live like a king on my income lol but in CA not even close. It's a big reason why a lot of people here work in CA but live in mexico by the border. They can buy a huge house there for 1/10th the cost of a normal house in san diego and be a 15 minute drive away. worse off on that this just happened
https://virginiapatriot1776.wordpre...ts-to-1-5-billion-math-error-in-state-budget/
how in the fuck?

rant

Yep, high income tax, sales tax, property tax, pretty much tax on any and everything. The straw that broke the back for me was when Senator Costa from Hanford sponsored and was passed a State funded collage scholarship for illegal aliens, WTF? I'm no xenophobe but show me a country other than the US that panders and rewards illegal immigrants? They're breaking the fucking law and fucking over those who are trying to get into the country legally. I've got friends outside of the US that are trying to legally get into the US and this just fucking pisses me off. mi Amigo in Peru who is the father of my God Daughter I've been trying to bring him and his wife for a couple of weeks for a Vacation here (my treat) and he can't get a Visa for two weeks but because he's poor so they deny it. Yet we pander and give drivers licenses, food stamps, Collage Scholarships, etc. to those who break the fucking law! Fucking pisses me off to no end!
80eb98cb.gif

/rant

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
rant

Yep, high income tax, sales tax, property tax, pretty much tax on any and everything. The straw that broke the back for me was when Senator Costa from Hanford sponsored and was passed a State funded collage scholarship for illegal aliens, WTF? I'm no xenophobe but show me a country other than the US that panders and rewards illegal immigrants? They're breaking the fucking law and fucking over those who are trying to get into the country legally. I've got friends outside of the US that are trying to legally get into the US and this just fucking pisses me off. mi Amigo in Peru who is the father of my God Daughter I've been trying to bring him and his wife for a couple of weeks for a Vacation here (my treat) and he can't get a Visa for two weeks but because he's poor so they deny it. Yet we pander and give drivers licenses, food stamps, Collage Scholarships, etc. to those who break the fucking law! Fucking pisses me off to no end!
80eb98cb.gif

/rant
yeah that is BS. it's like we want to show how much we care about other countries while we ignore the needs of the people who live here. I don't get it at all. We spread ourselves too thin. we need to focus on making the US a better place and taking care of our citizens. not focus on helping other countries that should be taking care of themselves. I mean it's shitty to say. but it's the truth. it would be like not being able to feed your own kids cause you don't make enough money but then you donate money to feed other people's kids.

VU Sponsors