Become a Patron!

Tom Holland ‘Isn't Ready’ to Stop Playing Spider-Man, But He Still Doesn't Know If He'll Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Spider-Man: No Way Home star Tom Holland doesn’t want to stop being Spider-Man - but he’s still not sure whether he’ll be back.

Warning: This article contains spoilers for Spider-Man: No Way Home!

During an interview with Deadline, the 25-year-old actor once again addressed whether or not he’ll return as the friendly neighborhood web-slinger, and gave a more non-committal answer than on previous occasions.

“The truthful answer — and I’ve done a whole press tour where all I do is lie — the truth is, and you’re not going to like the truth, I don’t know the answer to that question,” he said.

“I don’t know,” he said. “I know I love this character, and I know that I am not ready to say goodbye. But if it’s time for me to say goodbye, then I will do so proudly, knowing that I’ve achieved everything I wanted to with this character, and sharing it with these boys will be forever one of the most special experiences of my career. So, if it’s time, it’s time. If it’s not, it’s not. But at the moment, I don’t know.”

Whether or not Holland will return to the role has been a discussion since before No Way Home had even come out. Before release, Tom Holland says he and his co-stars were treating it as the "end of a franchise." Later, Holland said he didn't want to play the character past the age of 30 (he's 25 at time of writing), and said it might be time to make a Miles Morales film.

After that, producer Amy Pascal suggested that Tom Holland would return for another three Spider-Man movies. Now we seem to be back to square one – not knowing what's next for the MCU's Peter Parker.

Spider-Man: No Way Home was a huge hit, becoming Sony’s highest-grossing film of all time. But it looks as though Tom Holland still has no idea whether it will be his last time as Spider-Man. The latest movie brought Tom Holland’s Spider-Man trilogy to a close with a spectacular final act that saw the return of both Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield as their own versions of Peter Parker.

Holland is glad he got to see that happen: “This film for me was as special as an experience could ever be,” he said. “Sharing the screen with these guys. Playing Spider-Man could be quite an alienating experience because, you know, we’re the only three blokes who have done it. So, to share that with [Tobey and Andrew], it’s been such a wonderful experience, of which I have such amazing memories.

Andrew Garfield has since said he would love to play Spider-Man again, but it looks as though Holland’s future as the webslinger is still in question.

“There definitely was a sense for me, as an actor, that this was the last time that I could potentially don the suit,” Holland added. “So, a lot of that emotion came from the act of saying goodbye, which is one of the biggest themes throughout this film.”

Spider-Man: No Way Home stars Tom Holland as Peter Parker, along with Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield as their own versions of Spider-Man. They’re joined by Zendaya, Jacob Batalon, Marisa Tomei, Benedict Cumberbatch, and Jon Favreau.

Ryan Leston is an entertainment journalist and film critic for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors